Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamond Flower problems

Hello (first post!),

Some years ago I bought a Diamond Flower (DFI) board. AD77 Infinity. When it starts, it runs fine. But it never started 100 percent of the time, and lately it won't start at all. KT400 chipset (for AMD CPUs), four 184-pin DIMM sockets. Either 5 PCI slots *_or_* 4 PCI plus one AGP slot can be in use at any one time.

The board has four LEDs near the end of one of the PCI sockets. They flash at various stages during bootup. After a successful boot, all four will be on steadily. Originally, it occasionally hung up at "Programming the DRAM timing". I retired it a few years ago, used it only occasionally. A couple of months ago, I plugged it back in. Had a few successful boots, but since then, 100 percent lockups. I think it is now stopping on "initializing the DRAM frequency."

It gets the DRAM timing from the socket nearest the CPU. I'm only using Kingston memory, and setting the memory timing for "serial presence detect" in the BIOS (essentially "automatic").

I've never overclocked. 133 MHz (set by jumpers) multiplied by 11.5 (use "autodetect" in BIOS IIRC) gives 1530 MHz, which is correct for the Athlon 1800.

I tried other jumpers (100 MHz, 166 MHz), but there was no change. (If the system knew something was not right, I thought it might be smart enough to give me a BIOS beep code.)

Is a capacitor "out of spec", or is it a silicon chip or solder traces (that were questionable from day one) that has deteriorated? No reason to believe this is related to PSU, but I could try different units.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Diamond Flower problems

In comparing the two:
    Capacitors deteriorate in a big way.
    Silicon and solder deteriorate hardly at all.

If the caps on the motherboard aren't bloated the #1 suspect is your PSU.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Re: Diamond Flower problems

DFI used to have OST RLX/RLP, Teapo or similar caps, which are all known to die quietly. They're otherwise very well-designed (DFI was founded by ex-Abit engineers, who had built some great boards in the heyday of Abit), so it's usually worthwhile to recap the board and replace *all* OSTs and any other bad series on it.

As suggested, check the PSU also.

Comment

Working...
      X