Burned resistor, what value ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burned resistor, what value ?

I open my friends dead fan and find a burned resistor.
    Looks like black black ? Gold
    The burned band I think is either grey or black, so to me that suggests 0 ohms. Was it used as a fuse ?
    Thoughts please ?
    Attached Files

Re: Burned resistor, what value ?

Maybe brown black silver gold, but this resistance is a bit low as a guess as to what the original resistance would be.

This looks like a capacitive dropper power supply, so yes it was mostly used as a fuse.

What's the uF of the yellow capacitor, and what is this controlling (cant be the actual fan motor? Relay somewhere? How big of a relay?)
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 03-20-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Looks like a 1ohm 2Watt resistor

Comment

Thanks eccerr0r. The yellow capacitor top left is 0.1uf, the larger one bottom middle is 0.33uf both X2
        The connector top right has three wires that go into the fan, I doubt the relay is inside. It's 230V 21-33W.
        The IC is an Atmel Mega48pa.

Comment

Yes I would also think it should be in the ohms range (gold multiplier band) and not tenths of ohms range (silver multiplier band) because of the capacitive dropper circuit. The third band looks silver-ish.

The "bottom middle" I think what you mean / 0.33uF capacitor is what I was curious about - this is the dropper capacitor. A 0.1Ω resistor might make sense with a 1uF dropper but agree with Andrew that it should be higher than this, mainly due to it being pointless being that low for a 0.33uF.

Comment

Thanks, I've stuck in a 0.33 ohm 2watt resistor as it's the closest I have in stock.
            Fan now powers on.

I think I have discovered the reason it burnt. He had connected it to one of those cheap dimmer plugs https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dimmer-Adju.../dp/B01G1WEKW4 and turned it down for the first time yesterday.

Looking at the fan instructions, that's not how it wants controlling.

Comment

Good work!!!.....

Comment

Working...
              X