X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use These ?

I got some huge capacitors, can I use them to filter my PS or something

Re: Can I use These ?

In a computer power supply, you would need to use low-ESR units. Also, these probably won't fit in your power supply.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Those look like motor kick-start caps... certainly not suitable for computer use.
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

IIRC, Mepco Electra's 3186 series was low ESR, by 1980s standards, and 18,000uF is a rather large capacitance.. Unless you work with a mainframe or large serve, these are probably hobby material.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks for the kind reply,Pete.
          They are actually part of a DIGITAL EQUIPTMENT power supply.
          I think it went bellyup.
          I was thinking of hanging on to them for a 13.8v dc regulated PS for my CB toys.....which I am using 3-300w computer PS's wired +5+5+5=15v@30A
          and the Big caps help the PS's from kicking off when I unkey......so far works really, really good.

Comment

PS
            If you plan on trying running 2 or more Power Supplies in series snip the ground lugs from the plug and dont let the PowerSupplies touch each other.....

Comment

Why not?
              Do they die?
              "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
              "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Working...
              X