X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
    It's the rubber bits under the buttons, that have carbon pads on them. Latter revision I think, you can by a replacement set for £2.50. I think that's the issue anyway as can see ware on them. Might be the tracks on the ribbon itself though which is probably bin worthy. Shame though as pad is in excellent condition otherwise.
    It's usually down to the material that they used on the membrane that is VERY fragile. If they're intact, you're lucky! Rubber pads for the buttons are pretty cheap and usually fix the buttons not registering problem unless it's a physical problem in the membrane.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
      It's usually down to the material that they used on the membrane that is VERY fragile. If they're intact, you're lucky! Rubber pads for the buttons are pretty cheap and usually fix the buttons not registering problem unless it's a physical problem in the membrane.
      Gave up on it in the end, issue seems to lie else where, left hand side buttons / triggers.

Anyway managed to fix the xbox 360, was a overheating issue. Would turn on and straight away fans would ramp up. Good dusting, thermal paste replacement, dvd drive belt cleaned. Not sure what kind of thermal paste Microsoft use but its like glue!

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        best scores
        (Some needing minor repairs on acquisition)

ASR33 ($0)
        Sun SB2000 ($0)
        Sun Voyager ($0)
        SGI VWS 320 ($0)
        Xerox Personal Reader ($7 + $7 for scanner & manuals)
        UMAX PowerLook 2100XL ($10)
        Tek 465 ($0)
        Tek TDS754D ($0)
        Tek TLA704 ($0)

recent good scores
        (past week)

HP EliteBook 8530W ($0)
        3com 5500G-E1 48 port ($0)

comments on scores.
        Regret discarding the short racks that housed my Cipher 990's when I sent them to the tip. And, wished I'd held onto the 128MB SPARCstation LX.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Originally posted by goontron View Post
          ^ Have you ever doubled the clock of a CPU? I have. Holy fuck! 600Mhz CPU doing 1.2Ghz! And somehow stable!
          Nope, I haven't.
          But I did manage to push XFX GeForce 6800 XT video card to 525 MHz at stock voltage and have it stable (up from 300 MHz stock clock)... so that's almost double. I can't go higher than 525 MHz due to RivaTuner not allowing me to. Maybe with some bit-editing (or whatever it is called), I might. But I didn't bother to go that far. And the temperatures even with my modified Xbox 360 CPU cooler were starting to drift a bit more over 60C under load, so that's why I stopped. Without the overclock, it rarely goes over 60C.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
            98 won't boot with more than 1GB ram, so I have to pull some of the RAM out when I use 98.
            have u tried the himemx.exe xms memory manager in your config.sys file? the reason it wont boot with more than 1gb even with maxphyspage=40000 in the system.ini file is because the microsoft himem.sys xms memory manager hasnt been tested with and isnt compatible with more than 1gb of ram installed thus the non-boot issue.

replacing the microsoft himem.sys xms memory manager with himemx.exe in config.sys should allow booting with more than 1gb of ram installed. himemx.exe is also much smaller, using only 6.5kb of disk space compared with 32.4kb required for himem.sys but thats not an issue when u have a large hard drive.

however, do note that booting in safe mode wont work with >1gb of ram because the safe mode boot files override the config.sys one resulting in himem.sys being used for safe mode instead. u have to edit the safe mode boot files to use himemx.exe in safe mode instead of himem.sys so u can boot with >1gb of ram in safe mode. so only do this if u have tested himemx.exe throughly in normal mode and its compatible with all your device drivers and software.

the above information is what i have learned from the msdn and msfn win98 forums. so i hope that saves u the trouble of constantly having to pull ram from the board as that isnt healthy for the goldfinger contacts on the ram and mobo.

Comment

Not sure what kind of thermal paste Microsoft use but its like glue!
              i think u just answered your own question. its thermal glue! lol! and yes there is such a thing as thermal glue.

Comment

micro$oft actually dont use anything, the manufacturer does.
                the most common was the pink chewing gum.
                that shit repelled IPA, but liquified with white spirit - strange substance!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  the most common was the pink chewing gum.
                  that shit repelled IPA, but liquified with white spirit - strange substance!
                  Same with the silver stuff they use.

I usually first scrape as much of the thermal paste as I can. Then I use Acetone to remove the rest. Acetone doesn't quite dissolve it, but with enough wiping, it works.

Comment

$3: Cisco RV130W Small Business RV130W. N Dual Band Gigabit, no DDWRT or OpenWRT but the firmware is good enough out of the box. I already have two (and a half) dual band N gigabit routers (plus a Netgear AC I'm using mainly), so this will be my parents' router.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Not much today just got a PS2 Slim with games and two controllers and a black wii with 2x remotes and games for £10 each. Both working.

On another note just finished cleaning up and testing last weeks haul. Only thing that didn't work was the tannoy speakers (fried voice coil on one speaker)
                      Last edited by mikay786; 08-20-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Regarding the xbox does anyone know the dc jack size / type for the HD-DVD drive?

Tried maplins, no luck. Bought a 12v 2a adaptor off amazon which didn't fit so need to return. So before ordering and hoping again thought i would check.

Comment

information on the HD DVD drive's adapter

Regarding the xbox does anyone know the dc jack size / type for the HD-DVD drive?

Tried maplins, no luck. Bought a 12v 2a adaptor off amazon which didn't fit so need to return. So before ordering and hoping again thought i would check.
                          I'm assuming you're referring to the outboard HD DVD drive for the Xbox 360. If so, the original adapter is a model PSC24W-120, which outputs 12V at 2Amp; center pin positive. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                            have u tried the himemx.exe xms memory manager in your config.sys file? the reason it wont boot with more than 1gb even with maxphyspage=40000 in the system.ini file is because the microsoft himem.sys xms memory manager hasnt been tested with and isnt compatible with more than 1gb of ram installed thus the non-boot issue.

replacing the microsoft himem.sys xms memory manager with himemx.exe in config.sys should allow booting with more than 1gb of ram installed. himemx.exe is also much smaller, using only 6.5kb of disk space compared with 32.4kb required for himem.sys but thats not an issue when u have a large hard drive.

however, do note that booting in safe mode wont work with >1gb of ram because the safe mode boot files override the config.sys one resulting in himem.sys being used for safe mode instead. u have to edit the safe mode boot files to use himemx.exe in safe mode instead of himem.sys so u can boot with >1gb of ram in safe mode. so only do this if u have tested himemx.exe throughly in normal mode and its compatible with all your device drivers and software.

the above information is what i have learned from the msdn and msfn win98 forums. so i hope that saves u the trouble of constantly having to pull ram from the board as that isnt healthy for the goldfinger contacts on the ram and mobo.
                            As far as I have tested, some motherboards I used will run Windows 98 on 1GB RAM (or even 512) without any problem, but the YMMV rule applies here.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Got one HP Laserjet 4100n for free , from a customer company's friend . They said it was 1200 $ new and still working , but they opted for changing the whole stuff in the company .
                              I have not less than 20 printers around , so i'm gonna put this one on local networks and we'll see what this baby can get .

Comment

Got another Black Wii with 4 controllers, 2 x motion plus attachments + 6 games and some accessories for £17.50

Hitachi VT-14E VHS Player Top loader. £5

Technics SU-Z11 Integrated Amplifier, matching tape deck and tuner along with some Technics 3030 speakers all for £6

There was a record player that went with it but someone got to it first.

Comment

I got another fat PS2. It's a PAL 30004R, version 5. It's been clearly opened before, since when I got to the bare motherboard to clean I found out someone desoldered the modchip out of it (this isn't the same as my previous PAL 30004R that is chipped).
                                  Funny thing, this actually came with a silver controller instead of black.

I'll decide if I rip the old chip on the other 30004R and replace it with a Modbo or actually do this one, since the points are already tinned, just a matter of soldering the wires.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Picked up a Canon MF5630 multifunction b/w laser printer off the curb last Monday, saved it from the rain. Still working on it, will post a thread about it.
                                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

HP TouchSmart AIO missing a (external) power supply. Of course, I happen to have a few of them as spares...
                                      <https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c03043829>

No idea what I'll do with it...

Comment

Got this for free yesterday:

Epox EP-7KXA Slot A motherboard - had bad GSC and Yageo/Tayeh caps on it. Replaced with Rubycon MBZ,OST and one Sanyo WG - way better considering how old these caps were.
                                        AMD Athlon 750MHz SLOT CPU
                                        256MB PC133 RAM
                                        Quantum Fireball LCT15/QML15000LC-A 15GB IDE HDD
                                        JNC LC-B350ATX PSU (the most gutless variant) that surprisingly doesn't have any bad cap
                                        Intel PRO 100 NIC.

Runs Windows XP SP2 (at least that's what I found on the HDD) but I'm planning to install either 98SE or 2000.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

I got an Gigabyte GA-7DXE motherboard (Socket A, AMD761 chipset) that has a dead RAM slot and a Pixelview PV-TV304P+ TV tuner. I can only say this - god, Conexant chipsets suck.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X