About this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About this forum

I joined this forum since some years, initially they were exchanging technical opinions of a certain level, now I never receive answers if the topic concerns signals, jtag, boundary scan, hub signals, etc. I'm probably asking stupid questions? there are only BIOS dump requests but nobody explains why he wants them (usually I buy dumps from other site and repost it on that forum ) what you think about that ?. thank you

Re: About this forum

i dont look in this section much, and not many people know about debug ports & such.

as for bios requests - i suspect it's 50% people trying to clear a password and 50% people with a dead or bricked machine.
    thanks to Intel it only takes 1 bad bit in a bios and the fucking ME wont let the system boot!
    (security checksums)

Comment

You have right but for example jtag on asus motherboard is simple to use , when I post a thread about it I don't see any interest to learn how it works. Obviusly I am not a guru of repair I'm only an student of electronic and I have a shop repair and a discussion about repair can help me and others to understand some repair aspect as motherboard signal in power sequence and how to interpret it.
      Last edited by jasko_jacker; 10-18-2018, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Sub forums might be the answer . A newbie section,advanced techniques, passwords, ME area,general etc .
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
          You have right but for example jtag on asus motherboard is simple to use , when I post a thread about it I don't see any interest to learn how it works. Obviusly I am not a guru of repair I'm only an student of electronic and I have a shop repair and a discussion about repair can help me and others to understand some repair aspect as motherboard signal in power sequence and how to interpret it.
          Jasko_jacker Can you please link that thread? I have a major interest in those things... I have asked about such things aswell an nobody really gave a shit... Like you mentioned BIOS DUMP BIOS DUMP BIOS DUMP...

I do repairs on electronics(all pc types, ecus, pcms, xxx-tronic gearboxes, specializing in laptops mainly for the last 10 years now... I'm all open for sharing to people that really want to learn and have honest interest in it.

I have been looking into JTAG for some time now but its fairly difficult to find good infos on it... I have a few links about people using it on various things like HDD's, and routers... Seems like the manufactures don't want that info out in public.

Anyways enjoy
          while alive { live(toFullest=true) }

Comment

there are 2 problems,
            the first is your posting in the laptop repair section - not many people read it.
            the second is most people cant see a use for jtag without some really good support software to make use of it.
            i can see it would be good to finding passwords & stuff, but you would need software like GDB or better to go with it.

Comment

@MJ-meo-dmt

it's not just jtag,
              if your doing embedded stuff then you need to look at SWD (ARM cpu's) and BDM (old Motorola stuff)

SWD is pretty much a serial version of jtag with 2 wires, BDM is older than jtag and very interesting - it works on 68000 architecture stuff like ColdFire chips.

Comment

Indeed not many people contributing on technical stuff. I try to when I understand the problem, but I've also a huge lack of knowledge I'd like fulfill. I've learnt what I know partly by fixing boards, but also reading about other's problems and trying to help them.
                Unfortunately I'm only doing this as a hobby so I don't encounter a large variety of boards and their associated problem so I lack experience in the end…

In the end everything takes a lot of time, even more when helping someone else trying to understand their issue and making guesses and assumptions sometimes with the help of schematics/boardview/datasheets, sometimes without, and without having the board in front of you, experiencing yourself the problem and having the ability to probe the board and try things it takes a lot of thinking.
                I honestly don't know why people would invest this time especially if they're doing this professionally and they don't earn any money spending their time helping others when they could make money fixing their customer's devices.
                OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  @MJ-meo-dmt

it's not just jtag,
                  if your doing embedded stuff then you need to look at SWD (ARM cpu's) and BDM (old Motorola stuff)

SWD is pretty much a serial version of jtag with 2 wires, BDM is older than jtag and very interesting - it works on 68000 architecture stuff like ColdFire chips.
                  @stj

Yeah I know its not just JTAG I have been looking into ECU remapping and flashing and been doing some here and there... I'm actually in the process of getting a good programmer like the Galletto or KTAG/KESS stuff...
                  I'm starting to lean towards AUTO electric/repairs/diagnosis more these days... kinda getting bored with laptop/desktop boards...

But anyways most boards if not all these days support JTAG and it would be nice to use that to do some diagnostics on various components... like these damn faulty PCH(CPU combo) shit....

@Piernov yep agreed... I however do invest alot of time into these things, i do these repairs for a living...

Comment

car stuff is a bottomless pit to throw your money into these days.
                    i avoid it, a friend does it and has so many damned boxes & laptops that i doubt he breaks even!!

btw, i wouldnt touch mapping without a dyno-test station.
                    your risking the engine by pushing it blind, unless you stripped and rebuilt it first.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      car stuff is a bottomless pit to throw your money into these days.
                      i avoid it, a friend does it and has so many damned boxes & laptops that i doubt he breaks even!!

btw, i wouldnt touch mapping without a dyno-test station.
                      your risking the engine by pushing it blind, unless you stripped and rebuilt it first.
                      @stj : Maybe, maybe not; here in SA its still considered "worth it"...

Comment

I too agree that off late, there is less and less technical discussion and only bios dump requests. I do repairs for a living and still try to help others whenever i find time.

Btw, sub forum is the need of hour as suggested by smdflea-atleast two like beginners and professional section.

Comment

The person who have valuable knowledge and sharing it without any conditions shows there passion of building a community where anyone can afford all the opportunity.
                          You are really experienced & your imagination is definitely mind-blowing, your replies to questions without seeing mobo in front of you really amazed me.
                          People of different countries some of them who can't afford a institute getting a informative knowledge from this forum, Some times self satisfaction is more important than money ��.
                          In my country there is a saying "Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam" which means the whole world of is one family. Here I always feel it.
                          A Big Thnx to our Professional Experts nd our frnds.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                            I too agree that off late, there is less and less technical discussion and only bios dump requests. I do repairs for a living and still try to help others whenever i find time.

Btw, sub forum is the need of hour as suggested by smdflea-atleast two like beginners and professional section.
                            Definitely there should be a sub forum of technical discussion.

Comment

Bumping this thread . I posted a request in the "Site Suggestions " for more sticky threads in this forum .Can everyone make a comment in there and Topcat might reply. Thanks .

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72805
                              Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-06-2018, 09:43 AM.
                              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Agreed please give us a professional section. 10+ years experience here....

Comment

Bumping again, we`ve had a reply from Topcat https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72805

Please post your site suggestions in there
                                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-07-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

@SMDFlea keeping both alive Added my 4cents great that Topcat saw it

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72805 add your comments please.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                        Thanks to jasko_jacker for starting this thread . Anyone else like to make any suggestions .
                                        Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-11-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X