Shuttle XPC SD30G2B (FD30 motherboard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle XPC SD30G2B (FD30 motherboard)

I just acquired a Shuttle XPC SD30G2B from a lot of assorted parts off craigslist and the system does not power up. The flex atx power supply isn't the problem since doesn't power up using a full sized atx psu. The previous owner say it just stopped powering up a few months ago.

It's a FD30 rev 1.x board. Only one capacitor that has signs of failure (slight puff). I'm planning on replacing it and others identical.

Has anyone had experienced or comments on this board?

Re: Shuttle XPC SD30G2B (FD30 motherboard)

just because other ones aren't bloated dosen't mean they're good

do you know what brand they are?
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The bad one is green OST 10v 1000uf, there are total of 8.
      Other brands of the bigger caps are KZJ, KZG, and RLX.

Comment

KZJ/KZG should all be replaced. They often fail without bloating. RLX is made my OST I think and OST is just so that should be replaced. Also check the PSU for bad caps.

Comment

Hi tweak, i have to FD 30´s on hand both with the same 38 failure on my postcode-card, which cpas did you replace, or better asked do i have to replace all of them for being sure !

Comment

Any News on this. I have the exact same board and could use expert help too. Did you notice there were 2 types of 10V 1000uf caps on the board? There are a total of 8. Can the same replacements be used for both they look exactly alike. But have diff letters on them.

Thanks,
            Stingerrray

Comment

Replace all OST caps on this board. Note that there are different series of OST. There's:
              * OST RLP and RLG ---------> replace with Chemicon KY or KZE, Nichicon HE or HD, Rubycon ZL or ZLH, or Panasonic FR and FM

* OST RLS ---------> replace with Chemicon KZE, Nichicon HD, Rubycon ZL or ZLH, or Panasonic FR and FM

* OST RLX ---------> replace with Nichicon HM or HN or HZ, Rubycon MBZ or MCZ, or polymers if around CPU VRM.

As for the KZG and KZJ - those are made by United Chemicon, which is a good brand of capacitors. But those two particular series, the KZG and KZJ, are known to fail often. So it is highly recommended to replace those too. Use same replacements as for OST RLX.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Is there any difference between the O714 RLP and the O652 RLP. Both are marked 10v 1000uf .Take a look at the attachment. You can see the middle RLP bulging at the top. Its right in the path of the Northbridge fan air exhaust . Prolly the cause for failure. I'll replace those 3 and see what happens.

Thanks,
                Stinger
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Stingerrray; 10-22-2013, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingerrray View Post
                  Is there any difference between the O714 RLP and the O652 RLP
                  Year & week date codes - 14th week of 2007 and 52nd week of 2006

Unusual for a board to have capacitors with that much age difference, unless one's a replacement - perhaps something to do with a holiday period close to production date
                  better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Is there any difference between the O714 RLP and the O652 RLP. Both are marked 10v 1000uf .
                    Other than the date code differences that pfrcom mentioned - no. The caps have the same specs.

I'll replace those 3 and see what happens.
                    That's fine, but I recommend you get replacements for all of the larger OST capacitors on the board (anything rated at 330 uF and above). If you end up replacing those 3 caps and the motherboard works, then definitely go ahead and replace the rest of the OST capacitors. Otherwise, be prepared to tear down the PC again sometime in the future. OST caps rarely last in anything.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Is there any difference between the O714 RLP and the O652 RLP. Both are marked 10v 1000uf .Take a look at the attachment. You can see the middle RLP bulging at the top. Its right in the path of the Northbridge fan air exhaust . Prolly the cause for failure. I'll replace those 3 and see what happens.

Thanks,
                      Stinger
                      quoting this post since the pic has the exact same bloated cap as my SD30G2B has, I replaced the whole group of 3 with nichicon HM, but still get no boot out of mine any other thoughts?
                      Also wanted to point out the northbridge isn't getting hot even with the fan connected and the ram feels cold too, thought those would be warm with it sitting there.
                      Last edited by BigTroll; 07-01-2019, 09:24 PM.
                      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

@ BigTroll: check all of the voltage rails are present. Not just on the PSU, but the board itself. Namely, find and check CPU V_core, CPU Vtt, RAM Vdd, RAM Vtt, NB/SB Vcc (could be more than one rail, depending on design), and any other regulators you find.

Comment

I feel like the 0652 OSTs are fake. Most RLP I've seen in that size were either Blue/Gold and Black/Gold, while these are green.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            @ BigTroll: check all of the voltage rails are present. Not just on the PSU, but the board itself. Namely, find and check CPU V_core, CPU Vtt, RAM Vdd, RAM Vtt, NB/SB Vcc (could be more than one rail, depending on design), and any other regulators you find.
                            im gonna sound like a noob but how would you check those? I have a harbor freight multimeter so i imagine ground black to the case but how would you know where to probe? to find each item, again the ram feels cold like its getting no power at all.
                            My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                              im gonna sound like a noob but how would you check those? I have a harbor freight multimeter so i imagine ground black to the case but how would you know where to probe? to find each item, again the ram feels cold like its getting no power at all.
                              Yes, black lead on multimeter goes to ground / black wire of PSU. And red lead you measure whatever voltage you're after.

Post a picture of the board here. Should be able to help you find some of these.

CPU V_core can be measured at one of the inductors near the CPU
                              RAM Vdd/V_dimm ... depends on the board. Some use buck-type (same as CPU VRM - just measure at inductor near RAM if there is one), while others just use a linear regulator.
                              Most other rails are linearly generated by MOSFETs or standard 1084/1117 linear regs.

Here are some different motherboards I made diagrams of that might help if you're trying to learn how to find voltages on motherboards:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63041
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63163
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63164
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63069
                              Last edited by momaka; 07-20-2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                Yes, black lead on multimeter goes to ground / black wire of PSU. And red lead you measure whatever voltage you're after.

Post a picture of the board here. Should be able to help you find some of these.

CPU V_core can be measured at one of the inductors near the CPU
                                RAM Vdd/V_dimm ... depends on the board. Some use buck-type (same as CPU VRM - just measure at inductor near RAM if there is one), while others just use a linear regulator.
                                Most other rails are linearly generated by MOSFETs or standard 1084/1117 linear regs.

Here are some different motherboards I made diagrams of that might help if you're trying to learn how to find voltages on motherboards:
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63041
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63163
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63164
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63069
                                Thanks for the help, I did end up finding another board and shoved it in my shuttles case but someday I will get around to testing this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X