Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

I haven't found any information on this display so let me be the first. This one also suffers from the bad cap syndrome. Capxons. Symptoms mine exhibited were flashing on for a second and then turning off. Initially I was able to get it to stay on by repeatedly pushing the on button until it stayed on however after time this no longer worked.

Dis assembly is simple. Remove two screws attaching the base and the three screws along the bottom on the back. Separate the front and back covers. They snap together. I used a box cutter (old style) with the blade removed to push in on the inner lip while pulling out and away on the back cover. Disconnect the 4 connections from the inverter and the one wire and ribbon connector from the video board. Remove the screws securing the inverter board and remove the wire harness from the video board.

The offending caps were 2. 25v 820uf and 1. 25V 330uf. I didn't note their location but they were all close together and in a row. There are also 2 25V 680uf Capxons you might want to replace while you're in there. This is really very simple and quick 20 mins from start to finish.

Cheers

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Thanks a lot for the information!

I hope they don't have this issue with the 226BW, which is/was one of the most popular 22" displays. Otherwise there will be a large amount of them in need of repair soon.

Comment

yeah i have a 226BW
      anyway if its just caps and not some difficult shit then ok
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Hi there..

I have a Samsung Synchmaster 225bw monitor as well with the blink of death.

I disassembled it and found 5 visibly bad caps in it. The tops were bulging and a couple had actually opened up a bit at the top.

I'm new to the electronic repair world. I don't like the though of pitching the monitor in the trash, especially if it can be easily fixed.

It sounds like I can just replace these capacitors and that should do the trick.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what capacitors to buy though.

I'm looking on the Digi-Key site, but for the smaller ones, I'm not sure of which of the many to pick.

Here's what I have determined is bad

x3 - 330 uf 25v CapXon (has "-" down one side)
        x2 - 820 uf 25v CapXon (has "-" down one side)
        Additional writing "GL 105 degree C c634 vent"

I am not sure what the "Equivalent Series Resistance" should be for these either.

Is there a common capacitor kit out there somewhere for this monitor?

Comment

Here are the capacitors I am looking to get from Digi-Key.

P11221-ND PANASONIC - ECG
          EEU-FC1E821
          CAP 820UF 25V ELECT FC RADIAL

P5542-ND PANASONIC - ECG
          ECA-1EHG331
          CAP 330UF 25V ELECT NHG RADIAL

I'd hate the get the wrong ones and toast my monitor completely. It seems like everyone here is really knowledgeable about capacitors and electronics on this forum. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by puzzlin
            Here are the capacitors I am looking to get from Digi-Key.

P11221-ND PANASONIC - ECG
            EEU-FC1E821
            CAP 820UF 25V ELECT FC RADIAL

P5542-ND PANASONIC - ECG
            ECA-1EHG331
            CAP 330UF 25V ELECT NHG RADIAL

I'd hate the get the wrong ones and toast my monitor completely. It seems like everyone here is really knowledgeable about capacitors and electronics on this forum. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions
            The first one may be good, check the dimensions. The second is the wrong series. Either P10272-ND or P10273-ND is correct, depending on the dimensions.

ALWAYS check the dimensions of the original cap against the dimensions of the replacement. In many cases it's not important, but speaking from experience, it's embarrassing when the replacement is .25" too high.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
              ALWAYS check the dimensions of the original cap against the dimensions of the replacement. In many cases it's not important, but speaking from experience, it's embarrassing when the replacement is .25" too high.

PlainBill
              Been there, done that....my first unit was 15 days without the back cover because I had to reorder more "normal" caps, not propane-tank-sized caps.....
              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
              • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
              • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
              • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
              • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050
                2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on that. Looks like I'll need to break out the ruler

I'm glad I waited to buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                  Been there, done that....my first unit was 15 days without the back cover because I had to reorder more "normal" caps, not propane-tank-sized caps.....
                  It could have been worse - in my case it was the most recent monitor I fixed.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The P11221-ND turns out is 5mm too long, so the only other one I could find in stock for 820 uf 25v 20mm high was the United Chemi-Con 565-1800-ND, with a nice long part #: ELXY250ELL821MK20S

The P10272-nd EEU-FC1E331L weighing in at 15mm is perfect for the 330 uf 25 volt ones.

Comment

Hi, Just found this post-sounds like my problem. Same monitor, similar symptoms 2 days ago, hopefully same fix.

Any luck? I've opened it up and confirmed the numbers on the caps, figured I'd order the same parts.

They don't look too bad, but It's worth a shot.

As I understand the parts from digi-key are:

United Chemi-Con 565-1800-ND, with a nice long part #: ELXY250ELL821MK20S
                      P10272-nd EEU-FC1E331L

Thanks

Comment

Seems I have the same problem. Turn the monitor on, I see the POST screen (or logo screen) for about 1 or 2 seconds then NOTHING but the blue power light on the button. - I've removed my power board and inspected my CAPS, uh... everything looks and smells normal.

I can post a picture (or link to one) of the actual board if anyone would like to further inspect since I'm a noob here. I'm ready to order the parts, but if my 'parts' aren't bad, then... seems like a waste.

Comment

caps often fail without visual signs. they just dry out and the ESR goes high, resulting in extra heat which makes nearby caps start to fail as well, oftern in the same way. did you nitice it getting hotter than normal?
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by KickToTheJunk
                            Seems I have the same problem. Turn the monitor on, I see the POST screen (or logo screen) for about 1 or 2 seconds then NOTHING but the blue power light on the button. - I've removed my power board and inspected my CAPS, uh... everything looks and smells normal.

I can post a picture (or link to one) of the actual board if anyone would like to further inspect since I'm a noob here. I'm ready to order the parts, but if my 'parts' aren't bad, then... seems like a waste.
                            As the dude above said, caps and in general electronic parts can fail without visual indication of it. Post a clear pic of the board(s), brand/series/values of caps installed, and you'll get help.
                            There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                            • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                            • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                            • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                            • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                            • Windows 10 Pro x64
                            • GeForce GT1050
                              2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I have a 226BW doing almost the same thing... Blinks "analog" then BLinks "digital" shows my desktop screen for about 1/2 second. then goes blank with blue light still on. Takes about 15-20 tries to get it to stay on...
                              I took apart my monitor and found it has the same caps as the 225BW.
                              No signs of damage like some of the other people who have posted.
                              I ordered the caps listed above... Hope this fixes my problem.
                              Cost was about $7 with shipping.

I'll keep you posted...

Comment

why won't anybody answer the question about the brand of the original caps? that would help a bunch.
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Does not matter. In so much of Samsung's monitors, capacitors are not permium, and it is prudent to check & replace them as matter of routine repairs.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Just wanted to let everyone know that those replacement caps worked great.

I had a friend put them in and I reassembled it (I had to feel somewhat useful)
                                    It powered up fine and has been working for a few days.

Thanks again for everyone on this forum and your excellent advice.

Comment

Originally posted by puzzlin
                                      Just wanted to let everyone know that those replacement caps worked great.

I had a friend put them in and I reassembled it (I had to feel somewhat useful)
                                      It powered up fine and has been working for a few days.

Thanks again for everyone on this forum and your excellent advice.

Glad it worked. Now go celebrate.

PlainBill

Comment

Bad News-- for me

I have the 226BW with a similar Issue...
                                        Replaced the 3 caps listed above and still is doing the same exact thing!
                                        Any ideas? (see my post above for problem decription)
                                        Also noticed when it does turn on... once in a while the screen starts to flicker and then it goes blank, with blue light on. Usually happens 2 or 3 times in the first 10-15 minutes.. Then its fine all night long...

Maybe one of the other caps? I don't know that much about diag. I do have a DVOM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X