Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P5KC

Hi there,

I have this Asus P5KC motherboard which I really liked (when it was still working). I wish to repair it if there is the chance.

Symptoms:
    PC starting but no display and not even posting.
    It suddenly restarts the computer. (When it was still booting up)
    When shutting the computer down, the power supply never turns off, one will have to turn it off manually. (When it was still booting up)

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Asus P5KC

It could be that ASUS random death 'feature'.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

so there is nothing that one can do right?

Comment

Have you tried another power supply or opened up the power supply to see if you have bad caps?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

yes i did try 3 different psu's and the problem remained the same

Comment

hold down firmly on nb and power on.repeat sb.bet it posts.
            bga strikes again.
            last 2 a reflow of nb and sb fixed them

Comment

Nice board!

And bad BGA is not likely with P35, IIRC. Not as likely as Nvidia northbridges and southbridges from word that I got.

I wish I had a P5KC in nice condition.
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

will try and keep you posted. That's why I want to fix it as it is (or was) a good board.

I couldn't find an exact new one to buy it.

Comment

This is a FET problem... Test the FETS (That is if yuo can desolder them) on the bottom left corner of the board. If they test OK, test the VRM FETS. Asus used underspec'd FETs on that generation of board...

Replace with FETs that have a higher amperage rating and a lower RDS on.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I have some experiances where a bad VGA can make the all system to be in trouble.

Edit: Other than that check the pins in the socket. (Get a magnifier glass too)
                    Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                      hold down firmly on nb and power on.repeat sb.bet it posts.
                      bga strikes again.
                      last 2 a reflow of nb and sb fixed them
                      i held down firmly both of them and problem persisted.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                        This is a FET problem... Test the FETS (That is if yuo can desolder them) on the bottom left corner of the board. If they test OK, test the VRM FETS. Asus used underspec'd FETs on that generation of board...

Replace with FETs that have a higher amperage rating and a lower RDS on.
                        How can I test the FETS with a meter? I'm not experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                          I have some experiances where a bad VGA can make the all system to be in trouble.

Edit: Other than that check the pins in the socket. (Get a magnifier glass too)
                          the vga should be fine as I use it on other PCs and they work fine

Comment

One thing that I have to point out is that when trying to power the board on, it powers but no display. It then turns off and turns on again automatically and stays on with no display.

I have just noticed this now while doing a bench test.

Comment

Well @matthmal if you are not experienced to do an actual repair of the electronics of this board.
                              Other than a one attempt for a Bios re-flash, there is nothing that you can do.

I am using on my system an ASUS P5QC which is a great board stable and all,
                              check this model as alternative if you get out for a second hand buy on ebay.

Comment

although i'm not very experienced, i am always willing to learn. well I have been troubleshooting TVs and TFTs with the help of this forum

Comment

it seems that I can't figure out which are the FETS of the board.... can someone help me please?

Comment

Originally posted by matthmal View Post
                                    One thing that I have to point out is that when trying to power the board on, it powers but no display. It then turns off and turns on again automatically and stays on with no display.

I have just noticed this now while doing a bench test.
                                    Tried a different graphics card?!

Also, is the motherboard making any beep sounds?
                                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Yes I tried it with another one. Nope there are no beeps

Comment

Originally posted by matthmal View Post
                                        Nope there are no beeps
                                        The no-BIOS-screen-and-no-bleeps symptom ominously reminds me of when I accidentally crushed my T'bird 1.3 with the heatsink on October 13, 2002!
                                        (Because of how I got the heatsink on after coming back from the Keene, NH RadioShack for white heatsink paste.)

(At least the Soyo board was fine, just had to drop the T'bird 900 back in. )
                                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                        X