troubleshooting intermittent video from Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

troubleshooting intermittent video from Gateway

I have a Gateway GT5458E that is intermittent. Started doing a black screen (no video) about once every three weeks. Has progressed to once every 5 minutes; after about 5 weeks.
    How to troubleshoot? Doesn't seem like software to me but I don't know. Probably a bad component in PS or motherboard. I'll check the PS voltages once the box fails. Am thinking freeze spray might help locate the component. Might also be worn out heatsink paste?
    Any thoughts as to how to eliminate the software? How to go about finding the component?
    BTW, it's not the monitor. Checked by substitution.

Re: troubleshooting intermittent video from Gateway

Have you looked inside?
    Tried a different power supply?

Comment

Actually I was thinking about using a live linux distro and booting into it. That way I hope to see if it's software or hardware. What do you think?
      If the box still failes in 5 minutes I'll then take it apart and look at the mb for bad caps and R&R the PS. If the PS doesn't help then I'll concentrate on the mb. Does this seem like a correct methodology?

Comment

i was going to say a live disk.

if it still does it, look for bad caps on the gfx card.

Comment

Thanks stj,
          Great minds think alike ,vis-a-vis a live disk. As to the gfx circuit, thanks for the tip. I may forgo the PS if it's the conscience that the described symptoms are not due to a PS.

Comment

Working...
          X