Premium-brand audio equipment with not-so-premium grade components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium-brand audio equipment with not-so-premium grade components

Looking through the vents of a new Yamaha 'Natural Sound' AV receiver revealed Jamicon electrolytics (this shows the sound is not so natural after all!).
    A new Sony AV receiver also had Jamicon units too.

Many of you would expect premium-grade components from premium-brand audio equipment. Not anymore!

JBL with Suscon units: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...&highlight=jbl
    In a Harmon Kardon tuner, it had cheap electrolytics.

Please feel free to discuss here premium-brand audio equipment (Sony, Yamaha, JBL, Marantz etc.) with not-so-premium components, particularly the electrolytics.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Premium-brand audio equipment with not-so-premium grade components

JBL is high end?

What do those Denon receivers use inside?
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird
      What do those Denon receivers use inside?
      the recent ones I've seen so far use mainly Elna.
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

This is why I buy old sony and kenwood.

My old sony amp has all rubycon's and two big nichicons.

Comment

Originally posted by kikkoman
          the recent ones I've seen so far use mainly Elna.
          They're charging like $1500 for the quad-hdmi receivers and they're putting Elna caps inside?
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

i think its quite common. i remember this amp here had chssi in one photo i saw
            http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/atoll/200.html
            goes for around 1500-1800 euro

i thought it was cool to open a recent pioneer dvd player and find rubycon
            Last edited by willawake; 04-13-2010, 02:31 PM.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

All new consumer grade audio equipment has so-so caps. My new(ish) harman/kardon receiver has all Koshin caps in it.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird
                They're charging like $1500 for the quad-hdmi receivers and they're putting Elna caps inside?
                For high-end audio, there isn't much out there that's better than Elna Cerafine or Silmic caps, which have been used extensively (along with Panasonic FC/FK/FM) by Denon for a long time. I hope they continue using them and avoid cutting corners like the others - and yes, Yamaha has been over-rated a lot.

I have a 13-year old Denon DVD-2500 DVD player in perfect working condition, and there's no cap inside that needs to be upgraded - they were already the best, straight out of the factory.

Comment

Wondering what latest AV amps from Pioneer have inside....

Comment

Working...
                  X