Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad caps or inductors on Klipsch ipod speaker unit

Thanks bill!

I realized this also. I replaced all the caps on the board and i saw significant improvement once i replaced the big filter cap........but the replacement cap was probably not a good replacement so the "caps" did get slightly hot. I think the reason it got slightlly hot is the caps i used as replacements were "general purpose" caps. I dont have any really "low" esr caps to see if this would reduce hotness.

When i use a 12V/5A external power supply for a Mag lcd i the caps only get slightly warm. So this is what i am trying to achieve.....slightly warm, but i have only been able to do this with the Mag 12V/5A external supply.

REcall: The Klipsch external supply is a 15V/3A supply.

I tried an IBM laptop external supply 16V/3.36A and it did not work.......meaning it made the caps very hot.

So these caps are very sensitive to ripple.

Comment

alternative PSU you could use as long as you dont go for the POS chinese "replacement" PSUs

Toshiba PA2450U (15V 3A) or PA2444U, PA3092U, PA3048U (15V 4A)

those are sealed (no screws) but i cracked a heavily worn one with a bad cable open and all caps except the primary one were sanyo oscon solid polys..

Comment

I have a dumb question. What powers this thing? an external power pack? or internal supply? and what are they using for an amp output ic? Does it get hot too?

Comment

Originally posted by Welchs101
          ...When i use a 12V/5A external power supply for a Mag lcd i the caps only get slightly warm. So this is what i am trying to achieve.....slightly warm, but i have only been able to do this with the Mag 12V/5A external supply.

REcall: The Klipsch external supply is a 15V/3A supply.

I tried an IBM laptop external supply 16V/3.36A and it did not work.......meaning it made the caps very hot.

So these caps are very sensitive to ripple.
          I think your previous lamp test was a red herring. The reason the lamp was brighter when using the original psu, was that it is 15V, and the alternative one was only 12V. The 15V psu is bound to make the lamps burn brighter because of the increased voltage.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
          Bright antennae bristle with the energy

Comment

I think your right.

I think Bill already commented that its the "ripple" that was causing my problem and i agree.

So the pictures i posted are kinda false.....i think.

I hope i did not confuse anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by cadiman
              I have a dumb question. What powers this thing? an external power pack? or internal supply?
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...8&postcount=32
              Originally posted by cadiman
              and what are they using for an amp output ic? Does it get hot too?
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=29

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I wanted to let everyone know that i dont think its supply totally. I used what i thought was a "good" supply and it did not get hot initially like the other supply .........however, after about 20min the speaker system did finally get hot. So while the new supply did seem to help i dont think it solved the problem. There is some underlying issue that i just hav enot solved and probably wont. I do think its a "ripple" issue but i cant seem to find the device which is causing the increased ripple and i really dont have the proper test equipment to look at voltage wafeforms.........wish i did.

I did want to thank EVERYONE for all their help......it was fun trying to get this thing repaired but i guess you cant win them all.

Comment

Working...
                X