Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo TX-NR609 New DSP chip fitted

Hello,

Lond story short, bought this unit of ebay with no sound and network issue.
    I've purchased and fitted brand new chip 830K013DZKB4, but still get no audio.
    I believe but not 100% sure here, new chip needs to programmed now.See photo no.3 here:Onkyo TX-NR609 I'm not sure what that string of question marks means.
    Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Onkyo TX-NR609 New DSP chip fitted

It means your dsp firmware is corrupt or missing. Download the service manual, I believe there is a way to flash it if the hardware is ok.

Comment

it might even have an assembly line init function that can do this for you.

Comment

Looking at the bright side, if you are an Onkyo dealer or have access to Onkyo parts dept., then you know that the DSP chip was not the problem.

If you purchased a new chip from an electronics parts dealer, you received a blank chip, (no programming). In that case, you got some good soldering experience.
        Is it plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          it might even have an assembly line init function that can do this for you.
          The usual case is that the unit will power up with an error code and refuse to function until all micros are up and communicating. "Default" chip programming would only apply to small EEPROMS that hold the customer setup data.
          Is it plugged in?

Comment

I dealt with several of these repairs in the past, if you get onto the Onkyo website you will find that this is a well known fault and has been rumbling on for some years now. The last ones I dealt with were TX-NR509's but I believe the NR609's are covered in which case check your set's details with this form from their website and you may well find they will offer a free repair.

You don't need any warranty details just the serial number on the back, I found the service faultless with pickup with one day of submission and the unit was returned within four business days.

https://repair.onkyousa.com/eu/003_2...GBR&lang=en_GB

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
              ..., then you know that the DSP chip was not the problem.

What is causing the "no sound, no network" problem?

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
                What is causing the "no sound, no network" problem?
                One has to troubleshoot the problem to find out the correct reason. One can go on symptoms and how often it is a certain part. If you are lucky then you will repair based on symptoms, but if you are like me, no luck, you have to troubleshoot the equipment.

Comment

I just got 609 with the "no sound no network" symptom, but still have not had time to troubleshoot it.. just hooked it up to the TV, audio source, LAN, etc.
                  Everywhere in the Internet they blame the DTS chip. For most of the people reflowing does the work at least for some time.
                  Today I reflowed the chip and changed the 6x 100uF/16V caps, but still have not tested the board. I already noted several things to check - analog signal paths, power supply of the DTS, etc.
                  If everything is within the limits, my last resort will be to pay for reballing of the DTS... so just wanted to know if really this chip is causing the "no sound no network" problem.
                  Last edited by madan1; 01-21-2017, 12:30 PM.

Comment

good 3.3V on both regulators powering the dsp, flat lines... and still no sound ( and the speaker icons do not light up ).
                    I hope onkyo will not refuse the extended warranty due to the recaped board...

Comment

good 3.3V on both regulators powering the dsp, flat lines... and still no sound ( and the speaker icons do not light up ).
                      I hope onkyo will not refuse the extended warranty due to the recaped board...
                      They might do that as when you open the unit they do not know what happened. With these electronics you have to wear a ground strap when repairing or you can take out a IC.

Comment

They don't care about that. Remember these units were out of warranty it's your right to seek repair at any shop you choose. As long as it hasn't already been repaired under the extended warranty and it matches the known symptoms (no speaker icons being one of them) they will cover it.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                          They don't care about that. Remember these units were out of warranty it's your right to seek repair at any shop you choose. As long as it hasn't already been repaired under the extended warranty and it matches the known symptoms (no speaker icons being one of them) they will cover it.
                          Question, have you done work on your Onkyo and told them you have done the work and still had them honor the extended warranty for this IC?

Comment

I had one of these 616, with no sound(look up on this forum). I have sent my board, to an Ebay repairman and he added a little board that was tuck to a big IC, which seems like is providing a proper 5V supply to some parts. I have never investigated this, I have just sold the receiver. I have took some pictures, though.
                            Found the picture, here it is(#69):
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...x-nr609&page=4
                            Last edited by tibimakai; 01-24-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                              Solid logic here!
                              I guess I'll have to see what onkyo think.

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                              I had one of these 616, with no sound(look up on this forum). I have sent my board, to an Ebay repairman and he added a little board that was tuck to a big IC, which seems like is providing a proper 5V supply to some parts. I have never investigated this, I have just sold the receiver. I have took some pictures, though.
                              Found the picture, here it is(#69):
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...x-nr609&page=4
                              I've read that topic and thoroughly checked the pics ( by the way if you have more pics from other angles please upload them ).
                              From what I remember, this board was supplying power to the filter caps right after the small 5-legged regulators ( one of that for sure was supplying the dsp chip ). I checked that regulators with scope and did not find any ripples or low V values.

Still waiting someone to say what exactly is causing the dsp to fail...
                              Last edited by madan1; 01-24-2017, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I have sold it, long time ago.
                                I have just finished repairing, a 636 and 646 receivers, with blown amps.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                  Question, have you done work on your Onkyo and told them you have done the work and still had them honor the extended warranty for this IC?
                                  I pulled a suspect sm cap and replaced it with an electrolytic then sent it in when it didn't work. Did I tell them ? Lol, no.

Onkyo is a large corporation making goods for retail to home. They don't have the facilities to actually perform the extended repair work. If that's the case they farm it out to 3rd parties who are not likely to be cutting their own throats by refusing service when Onkyo is footing the bill. Besides, I'm sure they're not being paid to do much beyond verify the symptoms and then swap out the board and retest.

If you're asking do I feel guilty the answer is a little bit but only because in every case I was not the original purchaser of the unit and that's the person who should have benefitted from the extended warranty.

Comment

I guess I'll have to see what onkyo think.
                                    Don't contact them just fill out the online form and go from there.

As far as the dsp chip itself I don't know for certain but I believe the chip was faulty through the manufacturing process akin to the nvidia "bumpgate" and that a reball of a failed ic was not a permanent fix.

Comment

I have had four more of these series come through the workshop in the past two months, since at the time Onkyo are still currently honouring the out of warranty repairs for these series it is simply not worth me repairing them I simply send them off. As to the dsp chip failure it is heat related affecting the soldering, the sub board that is often fitted by third party repairers is a regulator to lower the 5 volt rail a bit to a allow the chip to run cooler. Another good step is to fit a small fan to the dsp

Comment

Originally posted by llonen View Post
                                        the sub board that is often fitted by third party repairers is a regulator to lower the 5 volt rail a bit to a allow the chip to run cooler.
                                        Interesting. What is the voltage on this rail to begin with? It doesn't make sense that lowering a power supply rail would allow a chip to run cooler. Just the opposite, in fact. Most micros will not tolerate much in the way of undervoltage. Maybe the original 5 volt regulator just can't supply the required current? I could buy that.

The one thing I CAN think of that would run a big micro cooler is to reduce the clock frequency. But, that would probably create timing problems. Glad there is a factory option for repair in any case. DSP boards have been a major pain since their humble beginnings.
                                        Is it plugged in?

Comment

Working...
                                        X