How to attach heatsink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to attach heatsink?

What kind of adhesive is used to attach heatsinks when they are installed from the factory?? Or what do you use when you want to attach a heatsink to a device as far as glue?
    Regards,
    db

Re: How to attach heatsink?

Artic Silver Thermal Epoxy remains flexible unlike some of the factory adhesives i've seen.

Artic Alumina adhesive looks appealing for this reason;

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_a...l_adhesive.htm
    Arctic Alumina Adhesive is a pure electrical
    insulator
    , neither electrically conductive nor capacitive.

Comment

Ok, so is there any that allows removal without destroying the device? Just curious as if you use them on certain devices you may need to replace that device at some time in the future. I seemed to have read somewhere that a heat gun or blow dryer could be used to remove heatsinks so I wanted to find that particular adhesive
      Regards,
      db

Comment

if you mix in some arctic silver in with the thermal adhesive (i forget the ratio) then it can still be separated
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Ahhhh, so thats the trick. I will hunt down the ratio now that I know the formula
          Regards,
          db

Comment

From what I quickly searched its 1 to 1 parts at minimum and most likely more of the AS5 (Arctic Silver 5) to insure removal without damage. The epoxy of course is 2 separate parts so 2 lines of equal length for the epoxy and 1 line of at least the same length or up to 1.5 of the thermal compound (AS5). Its an experiment waiting to happen. On the other hand I found some thermal tape that is probably an easier option so I am all set. Thanks!
            Regards,
            db

Comment

If you think you will need to remove it I suggest you use frag tape instead and settle for the lower thermal transfer efficiency.

The types of thermal material you remove by heating the 'sink with a hairdryer/etc are only a permanent interface material that "can" leave the sink stuck to the part when they have cooled, but becomes more fluid when it heats up- this is a substitute for grease, not for semi-permanet cement-like action on a sink that doesn't have another mechanical attachment.

Comment

Working...
              X