Need advice on a new LAN switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on a new LAN switch

I am looking for a good used 24 port managed gigabit switch, with a nice web based GUI that can show things such as port statistics/signal quality etc.

Has anyone ever used any of these, that can advise which is best?

HP 2824
    D-Link DGS-3024
    Dell Powerconnect 5224

I'm open to suggestions, as long as I can find one for around $150 or less. Also needs to have the rack ears.

Right now I'm using an unmanaged Netgear GS-516T that I bought new back in 2007. Hopefully whatever I change to will have equal or better throughput.

Re: Need advice on a new LAN switch

I have the DGS-1210-24, I use it for vlans and gigabit mostly. I can do a good 100-120MB/s transfers on this switch.

As you can see I have some rx and tx issues, most of the time, it's just the equipment or it's connection on the other end.

I had my switch for about 2 years now, it's a solid switch, I've hardly had to do anything with it. Paid $222 New, newegg wanted $430 and D-Link $500, found it at some website called http://www.costcentral.com/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 09-16-2013, 02:57 AM.

Comment

I have heard good things about the HP Procurve series of managed switches. They also seem reasonably affordable as well.

Comment

HP and Dell.... they are good to go....

Comment

Desktop or rackmount form factor?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Desktop or rackmount form factor?
            obviously rackmount, he said in his post that he needed "rack ears."

Comment

We use HP Procurve's here, they've always treated me well for reliablity..

Comment

I think I'm going to aim for a Procurve 1810G-24. It's a bit more money, but probably worth it from what I've read.

Comment

Just an update, I picked up a brand new Procurve 1810-24G v.2 for $189 shipped. Here's hoping it works out for what I need.

Also got a bunch of CAT-6 patch cables of various colors and lengths to connect everything in the rack. Up until now, I've been using homemade CAT-5e cables that are all solid wire and the same color.

This is the first time I've used a managed switch, so I've got some reading to do before it arrives.

Also need to get some cable organizers and clean up this horrendous mess! (these are pictures from before the upgrade)

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Maxxarcade; 09-16-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Nice setup.

Comment

yeah not bad, what are they used for? I see some cat 5 cables and a capture card, is that a HT server? Probably so, the amp looks like a dead giveaway. The bottom one dosen't look like it even has a cat5 plugged in
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                        yeah not bad, what are they used for? I see some cat 5 cables and a capture card, is that a HT server? Probably so, the amp looks like a dead giveaway. The bottom one dosen't look like it even has a cat5 plugged in
                        From top to bottom: (ignore the junk on too of the rack, just storage)

Switch
                        Cable modem and wireless AP
                        Proliant DL360 (router, running ClearOS)
                        HTPC
                        Security DVR
                        File server, running NASLite-2
                        HT receiver
                        Projector RGB interface
                        Surge Protector
                        2x Smart-UPS 1500 w/ LAN management cards

Comment

nice setup, Can anyone recommend a managed switch with gigabit that I can use for imaging laptops? I will probably only use 24 ports max but the switch has to handle multicasting and PXE boot properly, everything else is a bonus.

Comment

I've not found a switch which doesn't 'work', whether they're the best throughput or not I can't tell you.
                            I'm using an old unmanaged pale blue 24 port 3com gigabit switch in the office, have used a HP ProCurve 2910-AL PoE switch at a customer site. All seem to work.

I guess what you want to watch out for is flooding your LAN with the multicast traffic, so VLANs would be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                            X