Any bad experiences with Suntan caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any bad experiences with Suntan caps?

Yesterday, I received low-ESR capacitors from Jaycar, most of them Suntan units; with a few SamXon GF series units. Has anyone had any bad experiences with Suntan brand capacitors yet? I am currently evaulating them in an LCD display.

www.suntan.com.hk - in business since 1978, with a joint venture in experienced Korean factories in Jieyang, Xinhui and Dongguan in the Guangdong province, Yantai in the ShanDong province of the Peoples Republic of China.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Any bad experiences with Suntan caps?

A few days ago, I found two bulging Suntan capacitors which I replaced in a LCD monitor near a heatsink and after the output inductor.
    I will never buy low-ESR capacitors from where I got them - EVER!
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Sounds like they are one to add to the list of never to be used or buy caps.

Japlytic your nic/sig says it all mate

ok except Samxons

I use RS comp myself but I suppose sometimes you use who you have to at a pinch.
      (the WA mob I don't think fair much better, if their catalogue is anything to go by in regards to Low ESR caps either..lelon?)
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

And I just bought four 35V low ESR SUNTAN from Jaycar. I did query their quality and got usual answer "We have not heard of any problem".
        Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
        Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
        160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
        Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
        160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
        Samsung 18x DVD writer
        Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
        33 way card reader
        Windows XP Pro SP3
        Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
        17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
        HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

WA mob sell Lelon. My experience with Lelon has been good so far. I had a FAX machine getting very hot and replaced caps with Lelon. Has last a year now and working fine. The machine does run hot by default so it will kill all electros at some stage.
          Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
          Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
          160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
          160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
          Samsung 18x DVD writer
          Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
          33 way card reader
          Windows XP Pro SP3
          Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
          17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
          HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Humm well that sounds hopeful re the Lelon's,

I would hope that mob would supply a little better quality stuff with more emphasis on the pro side rather then hobbyist but I suppose they got to make a living and hobbyist don't want to pay much so guess they have got to compete in that market

Think lelon's were on the badcap list here which was why the comment with the ? question mark.

DS seem to be more or less out of the picture now as far as hobby electronics is
            concerned
            (I have notice big declines in there lines of electronics components and kits)

Bottom line seems to be you want quality, you pay quality prices
            Samxon seems to be offing a good alternative thought

anyway you are right heat will kill any caps given time

Keep us posted davmax

Cheers
            You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Just got caught myself. Ordered about 15 odd values from Jaycar.

In the pictures on their online catalogue they feature Samxons which is why I ordered from them.

However, when I received the order, behold - Suntan caps.

Well, I could always wear them to the beach!

But like you say, never again!

Comment

Well, i think if you want something to last, simply not buy any not exact specified capacitor.
                Sure, a bad cap could last long, but you never can be sure if the particular batch is from appropriate quality.

I personally have bought some crappy caps too (Lelon) but they were cheap GPO caps from a surplus store.
                I certainly would not use them in any demanding circuit.
                But i think it never hurts, to have a selection of caps handy, the next boring weekend will coming fore sure.
                And there are a lot of device, where i need to test first, before spending a lot money for expensive caps.
                And other devices are just that cheep, that there is no margin for a quality repair.

Comment

Working...
                X