Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Power Supplies and Power Supply Design
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #1401
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Thessaloniki, Greece
My Country: Greece
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

JNC LC-A350ATX

The pcb has spots for 2 output caps per rail and pi coils, but none has been installed! 2 caps are bulging.

2x C4106 7A continuous transistors were used here.

All the parts are undersized even for 200W

The 80mm fan is xinruilian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg label.jpg (232.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (682.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (455.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (587.3 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-09-2018 at 07:05 PM..
goodpsusearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #1402
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran

Allied Premier DR-B350ATX (MAX 350W)

First, I thought someone tried to recap this thing and he used a mix of different capacitor brands (Samxon, Suscon, Chemicon KY and more).

But when I looked at the solder side of the PCB, I couldn't find any difference in the soldering technique of the caps and other parts, so I can't offer any explanation..

Btw the psu uses 2x TT2146, similar to 13007, it has 2 diodes on a bracket for 12V and the same output voltage filtering with the previous L&C power supply.

And it's dead: 5vsb only

The fan is the typical 80mm Sleeve bearing Globe fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg label.jpg (294.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (592.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (502.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (509.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (522.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #1403
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpsusearch View Post
I got 13 Deer/L&C/Allied/Solytech power supplies for free, but most of them are badly burnt due to fan getting seized.
Oh Deer! I guess the hunting season came late for you this year (but delivered well, nonetheless).

Let me try to guess: these came out from some office or game cafe PCs, where they were kept turned on most of the time.

Quote:
Τhere isn't much to talk about anyway, because there are hardly any parts inside these power supplies
At least you can stock up on jumper wires then!

Quote:
Premier DR-8400BTX (MAX 400W)

Have you ever seen a power supply so badly burnt?
12V gets 2 DIODES on a bracket, there is not a single pi coil on that psu!

Edit: 5vsb survived! The rest is dead.
Wow! I don't know about the burned part, but I have definitely never seen such a gutless unit. Look at that secondary side!
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1515540941
1 tiny cap per rail and tiny output torroids. What a joke! I think even pulling 50W would cause the ripple to be out of spec on this one.

That said, I'm surprised the output coil hasn't burned itself. And also the 5VSB still running.

On that note, I think your h-bridge film cap on the primary side is what saved things here from getting any worse. Look, it has spewed its guts out (bottom right of the picture):
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1515540941

Quote:
Same unit, same failure: Fan seized (80mm sleeve bearing Globe fan), heat did the rest.

The toroid coil is done

But it still works!
Lol, this makes zero sense. On this one, only the output toroid burned, but the rest of the unit is okay. Go figure.

Quote:
Premier DR-8460BTX (MAX 450W)

Better quality with improved parts:
2X P13007 switching transistors
SB3045ST for 5V rail
SB1060CT for 12V rail

Still it's a PoS. Still, the fan seized
Lolwut?! It used to be that 13007 transistors were the "minimum" you'd find in any gutless PSU. Now they are considered the better alternative?
*Sigh* Oh Deer!

Quote:
Force DR-8460BTX (MAX 450W)

This is not an APFC unit, but both the 2 x Anodia 470uF 200V main caps are bulging and their capacitance is ~5uF and the esr ~60ohm.

Why?
Since both primary caps are bulged and not just one of them, I think there must have been a fairly long voltage spike on the line. Either that, or the power must have kept going and On and Off many times in one day (if you fully charge and discharge electrolytic caps more than 10 times per day, their electrolyte will start to get damaged... and if you do it many more times... like 100 or more, it's quite possible for the electrolyte to completely break down). So either one or the other happened.

Quote:
Force SL-8600EPS (MAX 600W)

... but it probably wouldn't be able to deliver anything without ripple being out of spec with that terrible 1 cap per pair solution.
Yep.
Although if you use very big caps (like 4700 uF or higher for the 3.3V and 5V rails, and 3300 uF or higher for the 12V rail), the PSU just might be able to deliver enough power for use with a 12V-based PC (like 7 Amps on the 12V rail for a low-power 45-70 Watt CPU).
Still, who's going to waste parts on a POS like this? Unless you already have these big caps and you got them for dirt-cheap, it's not worth it probably.

Quote:
JNC LC-A350ATX

The pcb has spots for 2 output caps per rail and pi coils, but none has been installed! 2 caps are bulging.

2x C4106 7A continuous transistors were used here.

All the parts are undersized even for 200W

The 80mm fan is xinruilian.
Finally something that could be fixed up *if* you really wanted. With upgraded rectifiers and the PI coils and missing caps added, you might (just *might* ) end up with a barely acceptable 200-250W.

Same goes for the Allied Premier DR-B350ATX. At least both of these units have better heatsinks, enough output cap spots, and better output toroids (more turns, at least).

Still, is it worth it?
I doubt it. Though many years back when I first started visiting Badcaps.net, there were a lot more people fixing up these crappy PSUs that now. Nowadays, the price of a new (good) PSUs isn't that high anymore. Moreover, the market for used OEM PSUs (like Delta, HiPro, and LiteOn) has been flooded, thanks to many offices and schools changing their PCs every 3-4 years (if even that many).

Last edited by momaka; 01-10-2018 at 06:08 AM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:32 AM   #1404
ben7
Capaholic

City & State: Trenton, NJ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 240/120V 60Hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek

Quote:
Allied Premier DR-B350ATX (MAX 350W)

First, I thought someone tried to recap this thing and he used a mix of different capacitor brands (Samxon, Suscon, Chemicon KY and more).

But when I looked at the solder side of the PCB, I couldn't find any difference in the soldering technique of the caps and other parts, so I can't offer any explanation..

Btw the psu uses 2x TT2146, similar to 13007, it has 2 diodes on a bracket for 12V and the same output voltage filtering with the previous L&C power supply.

And it's dead: 5vsb only

The fan is the typical 80mm Sleeve bearing Globe fan.
Is it just me, or has that "2003" control IC gone poof?

-Ben

P.S. Looks like you struck gold ... er, brown, crispy gold.
Those cheapo PSUs are probably good for 200W max, and even then that is pushing it, especially if you are drawing more than 5 or so amps on the 12V. (For the 2-diodes-on-a-bracket type)

As for the one with the bloated primary caps ... you should possibly check the leakage current, and the balancing resistors. It's possible that one cap failed with high leakage current, and then over-volted the other cap, causing both to fail. Or, it might just be the usual crappy caps.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #1405
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Same goes for the Allied Premier DR-B350ATX. At least both of these units have better heatsinks, enough output cap spots, and better output toroids (more turns, at least).

Still, is it worth it?
I doubt it. Though many years back when I first started visiting Badcaps.net, there were a lot more people fixing up these crappy PSUs that now. Nowadays, the price of a new (good) PSUs isn't that high anymore. Moreover, the market for used OEM PSUs (like Delta, HiPro, and LiteOn) has been flooded, thanks to many offices and schools changing their PCs every 3-4 years (if even that many).
Unless you repurpose them for old retro machines or simply for the fun of fixing them.

And for the record, the Allied above isn't worth it. The heatsinks on that one are MUCH MUCH thinner than the JNC. I know that because I have an PCB exactly like that, and not only a few EXTRA spots for inductors (for example the L2 inductor near 5vSB) but the heatsinks are paper thin.

Most of the units I happen to come across either have the same PCB as the JNC posted above (with the extra inductor spots) or are the 2005-2007 design.

By the way, you'd be amazed how many Deers you'd be able to find here in Romania. From the most gutless units to decent ones.
MSI Twinfrozr GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5
6GB DDR3-1066
Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
Raidmax RX-500XT (recapped)
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
JNC RJA-52 case

Last edited by Dan81; 01-10-2018 at 08:02 AM..
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #1406
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:

On that note, I think your h-bridge film cap on the primary side is what saved things here from getting any worse. Look, it has spewed its guts out (bottom right of the picture):
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1515540941
Yeap! Never seen something like this before. Aren't those the type of caps that short out when they go bad?

Quote:

Lol, this makes zero sense. On this one, only the output toroid burned, but the rest of the unit is okay. Go figure.
And it works

Quote:

Finally something that could be fixed up *if* you really wanted. With upgraded rectifiers and the PI coils and missing caps added, you might (just *might* ) end up with a barely acceptable 200-250W.

Still, is it worth it?
Not worth it! My source informed me yesterday evening that he has made another psu package for me. The packet will include:
1) Power Innovator, Model LC-B250ATX
2) FORCE, Model SL-800EPS (MAX 500W)
3) FSP GROUP INC., Model FSP250-60HEN
4) AQPPROX!, Model app550PS
5) PANSTAR, Model PSA-235
6) HANTOL, 550W
7) POWERTECH, ATX-450W
8) THERMALTAKE TR2-420 PP

And it is for free! I am going to post pics and info about them as soon as I get them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7 View Post

-Ben
Possible. I can't tell if it is burnt, or just glue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
By the way, you'd be amazed how many Deers you'd be able to find here in Romania. From the most gutless units to decent ones.
Same here! They're everywhere

Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-10-2018 at 10:42 AM..
Old 01-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #1407
PeteS in CA
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: San Jose, CA
My Country: USA, Unsure of Planet
Line Voltage: 120VAC, 60Hz & 115VAC, 400Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

Quote:
I got 13 Deer/L&C/Allied/Solytech power supplies for free, but most of them are badly burnt due to fan getting seized.

I am going to post some pics without many comments. Τhere isn't much to talk about anyway, because there are hardly any parts inside these power supplies

Premier DR-8400BTX (MAX 400W)

Have you ever seen a power supply so badly burnt?

The fan that seized is a "Muhua Fan-Tech".

What I like here is that the PCB was evenly burnt in most of its surface! The output caps are all bulging, the cables have burnt too!

The primary transistors 2x D4206 are rated for 7A continuous, worse than 130007 rated for 8A.

12V gets 2 DIODES on a bracket, there is not a single pi coil on that psu!

Edit: 5vsb survived! The rest is dead.
That is one horrifying POS! 200W would be pushing those heatsinks and power devices really hard. And with 330uF input caps you wouldn't have to worry about hold-up time ... there wouldn't be any to worry about.

Is the fan from Mua-hua-hua Fan-Tech?

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.

Where might is right
There is no right.
- Sophocles in "Antigone"
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.
PeteS in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #1408
Wester547
-

City & State: CA.
My Country: USA.
Line Voltage: 120-125VAC 60Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka
Since both primary caps are bulged and not just one of them, I think there must have been a fairly long voltage spike on the line. Either that, or the power must have kept going and On and Off many times in one day (if you fully charge and discharge electrolytic caps more than 10 times per day, their electrolyte will start to get damaged... and if you do it many more times... like 100 or more, it's quite possible for the electrolyte to completely break down). So either one or the other happened.
According to page 9 (Figures 23, 24, and 25) of this UCC document, it takes many more charge/discharge cycles (10,000 at 60șC with 30 second charge/discharge cycle durations) to instantly damage an electrolytic capacitor. General purpose capacitors are especially susceptible to heavy charge/discharge currents as they can cause cathodic foil oxidation and rapid gas generation. The Anodia primaries probably failed because A) there are no MOVs to protect the caps from overbias or B) there are no bleeder resistors to balance the voltage between the caps or C) Anodia isn’t the best, as stated before me.

Last edited by Wester547; 01-10-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Wester547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #1409
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7 View Post

-Ben
Good call! Yes, that PWM controller definitely looks toast. Perhaps the 5VSB goes wonky with a load? Or the main supply did and sent overvoltage to the PWM.

Quote:
Unless you repurpose them for old retro machines or simply for the fun of fixing them.
Yes, or that.
For me, it's fixing them for fun, even if I do intend to use them for parts, eventually - at least that way, I know everything in the PSU was working before I pull parts from it.

Quote:
And for the record, the Allied above isn't worth it. The heatsinks on that one are MUCH MUCH thinner than the JNC.
Yeah, I saw that.
But the heatsink thickness isn't as important as the surface area. The JNC and the Allied above are the only ones that have fairly tall heatsinks. All the other units have laughable heatsinks.

Quote:
I know that because I have an PCB exactly like that
Me too.

Quote:
Same in Bulgaria.
Linkworld seems to be another popular PSU choice here, but not as much IMO.

But hey, at least it's not PowMax or some low-end Sunpro/Raidmax.

Quote:
Aren't those the type of caps that short out when they go bad?
Not always. Turns out it depends on the manufacturer and the film cap type (there are several, like Polyester, Polypropylene, and etc.) Some do go short-circuit indeed. Others go open-circuit or very very low capacitance.

Quote:
And it works
That's the scariest part!

Quote:
Not worth it! My source informed me yesterday evening that he has made another psu package for me. The packet will include:
6) HANTOL, 550W
7) POWERTECH, ATX-450W

And it is for free! I am going to post pics and info about them as soon as I get them
Nice!
Some of these should be decent (the FSP, obviously, and maybe the Thermaltake).

Are you running a repair shop now or something? Seems like you've been busy lately and also getting lots of PC stuff. Hope you don't mind me asking, of course. Kind of cool anyways.

Last edited by momaka; 01-10-2018 at 02:12 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #1410
Stefan Payne
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Northern Germany
My Country: Germany
Line Voltage: 230VAC/50Hz or 400VAC/3P/50Hz

Quote:
6) HANTOL, 550W
7) POWERTECH, ATX-450W
The Thermaltake is the most interesting one of those.

Rest seems rather shitty (except for the FSP of course)...
Stefan Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #1411
Dan81
SNES-powered

Quote:
But hey, at least it's not PowMax or some low-end Sunpro/Raidmax.
Actually those do pop up too at times - most of the Raidmax I've seen here are Sun Pro units, with the exception of a RX-500XT unit (which I think is an Andyson) that one of my friends bought for his Core 2 Quad machine.

Also, some Delux "green label" PSUs are Sun Pro units. The silver label units are Leadman LP-7700 platforms though - I have a fairly decent one with a EI-40 transformer that I replaced the main switching transistors on. (D209L in place of 13007s)
Old 01-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #1412
Behemot
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Prague, 50°4'52.22"N, 14°23'30.45"E
My Country: CZ
Line Voltage: 230 V/50 Hz

Quote:
From which close to none are actually coming from Deer, it's just a cheap chinese copy of a cheap chinese copy of a chinese copy of Deer (or another platform for that matter, they have not really invented it). They all look alike, but are still from totally different suppliers. These cheap rebranders often take each shipment from different fab actually.

Rly, with your imagionation, Deer would be the largest PSU manufacturer possibly in the whole UNIVERSE

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!
Behemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #1413
Per Hansson
Super Moderator

City & State: ----
My Country: Sweden
Line Voltage: 230v 50Hz

Quote:
Same unit, same failure: Fan seized (80mm sleeve bearing Globe fan), heat did the rest.

The toroid coil is done

But it still works!

3.3V: 3.13V
5V: 5.08V
12V: 12.5V
-12V: -12.02V
And this kids is why we use a scope to test PSU's and not a multimeter
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #1414
Dan81
SNES-powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
From which close to none are actually coming from Deer, it's just a cheap chinese copy of a cheap chinese copy of a chinese copy of Deer (or another platform for that matter, they have not really invented it). They all look alike, but are still from totally different suppliers. These cheap rebranders often take each shipment from different fab actually.

Rly, with your imagionation, Deer would be the largest PSU manufacturer possibly in the whole UNIVERSE
They use the same PCB and components just as Deers. They even go as far as using their model numbers.

And for the record I did have a Deer unit (DR-A300ATX) and it was the same as the JNC.

You may be thinking of the crap Meiji/Meico (one of these) based JNCs, which are long extinct.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #1415
Dan81
SNES-powered

Speaking of Deers, here's a unit I've worked on. Transformers aren't the original ones, they came from another Premier (LC-B400ATX, 400W) that surprisingly had beefy transformers (look at the sizes!) but the rest was paper thin. And yes, I can 100% confirm the main transformer in the pics is a ERL-35 transformer.

Critical cap was replaced with a Nichicon (don't know the series yet but it's a low ESR cap from a Delta PSU that I killed) from 2009. If needed, I can open up the PSU up again and check the cap, and the capacitance. Main primary caps are 470uF 200v Fuhjyyu LP (though I might replace them with some big Saturn 470uF caps) and 5vsb uses 2 Panasonic FL 1000uF 16v caps.

Might get some D209L switching transistors, find some good parts for the secondary, maybe a good Xinruilliam or Jamicon fan ( those are pretty good and besides, I'm not going to waste a Sunon leafblower for it.) and be done with it.

How many watts would you think it can output in this state? (given I install D209L switching transistors)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180115_193819.jpg (437.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20180115_193800.jpg (579.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20180115_193746.jpg (522.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20180115_193733.jpg (469.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20180115_193618.jpg (708.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Dan81; 01-15-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Old 01-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #1416
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran

300W max.

If you install 680uF 200V capacitors, maybe it could do 350W, but I don't think it is worth it.

Quote:
Are you running a repair shop now or something? Seems like you've been busy lately and also getting lots of PC stuff. Hope you don't mind me asking, of course. Kind of cool anyways.
I wish I had my own shop.

Currently, I am self-employed, repairing computers and electronic devices (my lab is in my home) and looking for a full time job.

Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-15-2018 at 06:18 PM..
Old 01-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #1417
ruky con
a fake rubycon

City & State: california
Line Voltage: 122.5VAC 59.9Hz

I was given a 12v 5a power supply to repair and i was not going to post it here until i saw a major design flaw on the secondary side which made me want to post it.
Label...

Not promising.
Top side...

Does not look that bad but it's definitely not 5 amps.
under side...

Looks okayish.
Primary side...

Not bad, at least it has some filtering on the input and a real fuse.
The primary capacitor is a Taicon AS 47uf 400v.
The bootstrap capacitor is a Taicon HW 33uf 50v.
The switching mosfet is a CS2N60F mounted on a paper thin "heatsink".
Secondary side...

At least it has some output filtering.
The diode package is STPS3045C mounted on another paper thin heatsink. (if you can even call it that)
The three capacitors are Taicon HK 1000uf 10V! (Not, that is not a typo, these are 10v capacitors on a 12v supply )
That's it, i don't think i'm going to repair this thing as it's a piece of crap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180116_150006[1].jpg (3.03 MB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 20180116_150033[1].jpg (2.54 MB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 20180116_150044[1].jpg (1.84 MB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 20180116_150053[1].jpg (1.73 MB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 20180116_151119[1].jpg (2.08 MB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 20180116_151206[1].jpg (1.61 MB, 2 views)
ruky con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:46 AM   #1418
kc8adu
Super Moderator

City & State: dayton ohio
My Country: U.S.A!
Line Voltage: 12vdc,120/240vac,480vac 3ph on my bench
I'm a: Professional Tech

looks like a resistor was tacked on to adjust for 12v.
you might be surprised to see how long it lasts. if the caps were decent they may reform ok to 12v.
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #1419
ruky con
a fake rubycon

City & State: california
Line Voltage: 122.5VAC 59.9Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8adu View Post
looks like a resistor was tacked on to adjust for 12v.
you might be surprised to see how long it lasts. if the caps were decent they may reform ok to 12v.
The resistor is for the LED and the output voltage is extremely unstable making this power supply almost useless.
ruky con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #1420
Per Hansson
Super Moderator

City & State: ----
My Country: Sweden
Line Voltage: 230v 50Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruky con View Post
under side...

Looks okayish.
"Looks okayish"?!
WTF that's some of the worst soldering I have ever seen.
And the bodge jobs, what the fuck?
I was going to annote the picture but realized It'd be easier to just put a red circle around the whole thing!

Last edited by Per Hansson; 01-17-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Per Hansson is offline   Reply With Quote