'unidentified network' for static IP systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'unidentified network' for static IP systems

I changed out a dying switch on my LAN. I have 2 servers on my network, the main NAS and the backup NAS which were both on static IP's. After the changeout, I could no longer RDC into the NAS....so after putting a KM/mouse and monitor on it, I'm getting this 'unidentified network' nonsense. I've tried all the bandaid fixes that google found....and there seems to be no cure. Doing the disable/re-enable bandaid, that fixes it until I reboot....then its back to the same unidentified network BS. If I enable DHCP, of course it's fine & dandy, but my NAS's have used these IP's for the last 17 years, I don't like change....and besides that, it was fine before. The OS is S2K12 R2, but also does this on Win7 systems. The network is otherwise working.....no bad cables, switches, etc.

What is the fix for this? It's beginning to piss me off...
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: 'unidentified network' for static IP systems

makes no sense to me, most switches are transparent to the o.s.
    or did you install something "smart" ??

Comment

no, just a 10yr old 3com 48-port gigabit managed switch. Yes,I cleared its config back to default, and its just basically acting as a hub....nothing smart or fancy....it doesn't make sense to me either, and the network is working....just that 'unidentified network' BS for any machine with a static IP.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

If you tell us the IP addresses of the NAS, backup NAS, that will help.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

^they're just internal IP's, not live. The router is 192.168.2.1, netmask 255.255.255.0. Nas1: .180; Nas2: .181.

NAS1 is the LAN's DHCP server, which is working (systems on the lan are grabbing IP's from it)...using the router as the gateway (obviously).... I use google DNS (8.8.8.8, alt 8.8.4.4)....but as 'unidentified', it's refusing terminal service connections (RDC), and of course shared folders....the only way to "make it work" is to physically logon and disable/re-enable the NIC, yea, major PITA for a headless setup....or use DHCP. Yea, me is confused too.

I think its just something really stupid that windows is doing/not liking the static IP's, no actual problem with the network. I swapped back to the old switch, I'm getting the same result.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Ok, the temp fix seemed to be opening secpol.msc, and in the "Network List Manager Policies" category, change 'unidentified networks' from unconfigured (defaults to public) to 'private'...and I had set an identified network to be handled as a 'private' aka 'work' network. That seems to have made everything start working again....but the seat of my pants thinks it's just a bandaid....so if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to post it!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

With the newer versions of Windows (7 for sure, maybe Vista?) don't you have to tell the OS if it's a public, private, or work network or something like that?

I know we use Symantec EndPoint Manager, before with Norton though, we had to "trust" the network in the actual Norton user interface...

On this Windows 10 Enterprise E3 laptop, I would right click on the Wireless icon (I'm connected wirelessly, but I believe it's the same for wireless), then click on Open Network & Internet Settings -> WiFi -> Manage Known Networks (then I'd click the network, then go to Properties, and finally pick Private or Public).

Setting to Private opens the Windows firewall to allow protocols like RDP through. Is that not what's going on here TopCat?
              -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                I use google DNS (8.8.8.8, alt 8.8.4.4)
                Slightly off topic, but consider 1.1.1.1 to 8.8.8.8

see

https://1.1.1.1

I can't help with any of the Windows stuff. I haven't run it of 4 years and counting, only the IP addresss and routing stuff.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                  With the newer versions of Windows (7 for sure, maybe Vista?) don't you have to tell the OS if it's a public, private, or work network or something like that?
                  yea, but when its set static on a headless server, it defaults to 'unidentified network', which then defaults to the 'public network' setup, which basically locks it down. Changing that default from public to private fixed it....but its still showing as an inidentified network.....
                  Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

see

I can't help with any of the Windows stuff. I haven't run it of 4 years and counting, only the IP addresss and routing stuff.
                  Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Someone asked me in PM about DNS requests not being encrypted. I suggested dnscrypt

https://www.opendns.com/about/innovations/dnscrypt/

DNSCrypt turns regular DNS traffic into encrypted DNS traffic that is secure from eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle attacks.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Someone asked me in PM about DNS requests not being encrypted. I suggested dnscrypt

DNSCrypt turns regular DNS traffic into encrypted DNS traffic that is secure from eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle attacks.
                      For anyone else interested, I could not find Linux instructions on that site, but did find many people are using it with Linux, or at least it's available for Linux.

I found this how-to, although it seems to be targeted towards Ubuntu users. I'm sure if someone isn't using Ubuntu though, they could probably figure out how to make it work on their distro. If not, I'd be willing to try to help them via the community forums here, as I'm sure other users would too.

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/h...using-dnscrypt
                      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        The OS is S2K12 R2, but also does this on Win7 systems. The network is otherwise working.....no bad cables, switches, etc.

What is the fix for this? It's beginning to piss me off...
                        NT 6x is known to randomly get stuck at "Identifying". (or similar) And that can occur, even if you just reboot.
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-14-2018, 07:43 PM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

see

Just incase anyone is wondering or cares, this DNS service functions well.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

ah yes... opendns. i use opendns as the dns server for my dns lookups. these are the two opendns dns server ip addresses i use:
                            Code:
                            hope this is useful for anyone wanting an alternate dns server for resolving dns lookups.

Comment

Working...
                            X