Corsair 200R front LED dimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corsair 200R front LED dimming

One of the problems I had with this (recently discontinued) case was the brightness of the power and hard drive activity LEDs. I added series resistors to dim the LEDs. I used 10k ohm for the power LED and 2.2k ohm for the hard drive activity LED. They aren't the same brightness, so using a 1k ohm resistor for the hard drive activity LED might be better.

I was surprised to not find a PCB inside the box. It uses PCB mount LEDs and switches with the cables soldered directly to them. I didn't add any kind of strain relief, so this mod could be improved.
    Attached Files

Re: Corsair 200R front LED dimming

Good job with the mod!

I have to confess, though - I'm not fan of blue LEDs anywhere on my cases. For me, front panel LEDs have to be either green, yellow, and red... or a combo of these (but preferably all green, as I find that color to be least distracting to the eye, yet still easy to read out). I had to mod a Gateway GT-5656 case because of that - its front pannel blue LED was so bright that I couldn't even sleep with the computer in the same room (too much blue light). So I swapped it for a regular diffused green LED. It looks 100x better now, IMO.

Comment

These are white. I considered replacing the LEDs first, but I didn't have a replacement for the hard drive activity LED. It uses a standard 3mm round LED for power and a thin rectangular LED (I didn't measure it, unfortunately) for hard drive activity.

The power LED is still brighter than I would like, but it isn't a flashlight anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
        The power LED is still brighter than I would like, but it isn't a flashlight anymore.
        Haha, great way to describe it. That's exactly how my Gateway PC mentioned above was - made a blue dot on the wall. Now it's standard green.

Comment

Working...
        X