Dryer Motor Possibly Short Circuiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dryer Motor Possibly Short Circuiting

Since you will have to resolder that relay pin it wont hurt to add solder to the high stress parts.
    The power plug pins, transformer, both relays, those two large caps and BZ1.

You will want to clean that burnt relay pin so that solder will stick properly. I just scrape a burnt pin with a knife till I see clean metal.

Comment

Originally posted by ron350 View Post
      Since you will have to resolder that relay pin it wont hurt to add solder to the high stress parts.
      The power plug pins, transformer, both relays, those two large caps and BZ1.

You will want to clean that burnt relay pin so that solder will stick properly. I just scrape a burnt pin with a knife till I see clean metal.
      Thats exactly what I did. I also exposed some of the adjacent PCB trace and put a little flux around everything then took a small piece of solder wick and formed it around the pin and cut enough length to reach the exposed trace on the board and soldered it all together ... this problem should NEVER happen again with the way I re-enforced everything.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        Just to be clear, you have the same bad connection at a relay terminal on the PC board as the pics below? Bosch dishwasher that has bad connection just like your dryer pic.
        It's a common problem in appliances. Vibration or poor soldering fractures the joint, it arcs (tiny, inside the hole) and spews out solder vapor and gets worse.
        To fix it, if the relay is not damaged from the heating, just clean the joint and resolder it.

The Whirlpool, Kenmore, or Kitchenaid dishwasher class action suit, you get $100, or 30% buying a new one. It was the same bad connection arcing.
        So I got the circuit board contacts cleaned up and re-soldered and re-enforced and I re-enforced all of the points on the PCB that handle 120 ... and I re-soldered the transformer contacts and all of the caps that were not surface mounted ... and I got the board re-installed and the dryer all put back together and it works like a champ!

Thank you ... everyone who took the time to comment on this thread ... the information was invaluable in getting this thing working.

Comment

you can test this motor very easily. believe u can put ac cord on pin 5 and pin 2 - then lift the roller assembly up - motor should run. or u can ohm these to points - aro 3-5 ohms.

Comment

Working...
          X