Medion 1998 OF no picture after suspend mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medion 1998 OF no picture after suspend mode

Today i have cleaned my junkpile, and i found this nice 19" crt from Medion. It is not mutch used, but there is an anoying problem.

If the crt is on for about a half to one hour the picture goes off, but the green power LED is still on. After several hours w/o power it is working again.
    It is the same if i suspend the monitor, it dosn`t switch to the stand by or suspend mode, instead the green power LED remains green. It is the same if the pc is off, a normal CRT should went in to suspend mode and the LED should turne yellow, but if the failure occure, this crt don`t do that.

After resoldering all the mechanically or by temperature stressed solder joints, wich fixed for me several Medion CRT`s there was no succes. I replaced some suspected caps, but with no succes again.

I discovered, that there is an relay, near the input rectifier bridge. If the failure occurs, this relay don`t switch on. But it dosn't help to switch this relay on by hand (i.e. shorting the PNP driver transistors base to ground).
    If the crt is bared, the occurance of the problem is reduced.
    The main SMPS is working, and the High voltage section is working too.

For me it seems that there is somwehere an badcap on the s/b controler section, but i duno wich controler does handle it. There are about 3 chips, the main SMPS controler, a Daewoo uControler wich controls the mentioned relay, but the caps there seems to be ok.And then there is an Atmel uControler near the front pannel, assuming that this is responsible for OSD.

Up to now i will try to replace severall 10uF HEC caps near the Deawhoo uControler, but this is only the last effort. The whole crt is full of badcaps like HEC, Elite etc.

This crt is not bad otherwiese, thus i hesistate to trash em, as it is obviousely< not realy damaged....

If anyone hafe suggestion where to look it would be apreciated.

The power consumption in failure mode is about 70w, so i assume that all major systems are working.

Re: Medion 1998 OF no picture after suspend mode

you have a thermal intermittant.
    btw the relay is for degaussing only.
    get some freeze mist and a hairdryer.

Comment

What exactly do you mean with thermal intermittant?
      Do you mean any defekt wich is temperature related e.g. bad solder joint, badcaps or and semiconductor wich fail at a certain temperature?

The icespray i had in mind, but unfortunately i was runing out of it. The hairdryer has no efekt whatsoever. Any way., i will buy a can of icespray and i should be able to find the defekt component.

Comment

Finally i fixed that bugger. Sprayed a whole can of ice spray on it w/o any succes. But if i bent the whole PCB upwards, i got the screen back. I solldered nearly the whole PCB, untill i noticed that it was not the main PCB, but the signal cable going to this smaller PCB at the end of the tube. After carefully soldering the whole small PCB removing the glue on the singal cable conector, refiting and glueing back the damn bugger is no working fine. It kost me a considerably amount of time to find this anying factory failure. Any way, i am pleased to bring this monitor back to live, even at the very moment i was close to trash em.

Comment

Heh like me and the dvd player. No left channel sound. check "ALL" solder joints overlook the one at the left channel witch is soldered on the pcb pop as i pop the cover back on i hear something falling. the left channel plug has fallen inside. resolder it and i laugh about it to this day.

Stats Reset Every Month.
          My Forums

Comment

Yea man, thats are those things you only can laugh abouth and consider it as an plus in experience

Comment

ya, you might do troubleshooting to no end. you have to have a good eyes and good mood

otherwise you'll end up using the object you were trying to fix as a rifle object

days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Working...
              X