Router/Server 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Router/Server 2.0

I've been running the FREESCO package for over 5 years as a router and for 2 years i've also been using the print server functionality with a HP Laserjet 4050. I started with a Fujitsu computer with a P133, 32MB SDRAM, two realtek cards and a TrendNet switch. The Realtek cards failed quickly (i think i went thru six of them in 5 months or so) so i bought a pair of 3Com cards which i still have to this day.

Later on the Fujitsu got upgraded to a 233MMX, and then ~3 years ago a new box came my way. Another Fujitsu. It had a PII-300 and SDRAM slots. It got a Cel 566 on a slotket (highest CPU i had that worked in it) and 256MB SDRAM. I'm quite fond of that machine because it turns the CPU fan off completely when not needed, so it's very very quiet. However, the CPU slot is wiggly and it would sometimes act up after the power went out then restored. So i put the PII-300 back in and it's run alright since, but the network speed is a tad slower than the Celeron 566 (9.8MB/s vs 11MB/s), and when i'm doing heavy traffic on the LAN the internet lags.

I've been long wanting to upgrade my network to gigabit, and also add wireless capability. I don't want a wireless router because they're unreliable as most of you know already, and i can run a bunch of other stuff on my box such as a FTP server, torrent client, NAS... you name it. The box has its own spot and doesn't bother anyone, it's a desktop type case and sits under the desk in the living room. So i have no reason to switch to a wireless router with all its pitfalls.

The PII-300 certainly wouldn't have enough grunt to run gigabit and wireless however, and there was an additional obstacle - it only has two PCI slots and the onboard LAN isn't gigabit, so i'd need 3 cards. So, long story short, today a Dell GX110 arrived in the mail. S370, PIII-733, i810 chipset, and 3 PCI slots. It has one of those weird form factor PSUs, but it's a Delta so i don't expect it to give me trouble. The fan on it is 60mm but i got pleasantly surprised - it's temperature controlled, same for the CPU fan. I'm going to change the CPU fan tho, as it makes a buzzing noise at low RPM. There's plenty of room in the case. The HDD bay is missing but that doesn't bother me - i wanted to make my own custom mounts anyway for low noise.

The problem with the GX110 however (as reported by the seller too) was that it beeped of no RAM. It was clean, and couldn't find anything wrong. All voltages ok, board only has two LXV 220u 25v as output coupling caps for the soundcard, the VRM is all OSCON and the rest SMD tantalum. I tried a bunch of SDRAM, changed the CPU to a 933, no go. So i decided to take a real close look to the SDRAM slots - lo and behold, a little piece of wire had made its way inside slot 2 and shorted a couple pins. Removed that with the tweezers and there ya go. Powered up fine with the 933 CPU, and 256+128 Micron PC133. Out of three 256MB SDRAM i had on hand it would only work with the Micron, it seems pretty fussy about RAM. That's no biggie, 384MB oughta be enough for what i want to do with it, and the i810 chipset takes 512MB max anyway.

I asked over at the FREESCO forum and it doesn't support wireless cards, so i decided to configure my own router/server from scratch based on Puppy Linux. I know i'll be using the same dnsmasq package that FREESCO uses for the NAT/routing itself, but don't know much else. Shouldn't be too hard tho - i understand the wireless is supported natively in Puppy Linux so all i would have to do is configure the interface, i know how to run a FTP server and print server on linux, Samba should take care of the NAS part, and that's about it. All i have to do is patch all this stuff together.

Attached pics of my newly acquired GX110. Looks pretty clean if you ask me. Btw, if you look *really* carefully you will see the piece of wire in slot 2, which i hadn't found yet when i took the pics.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 03-26-2012, 02:27 PM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Router/Server 2.0

Why not use pfsense?

It supports wireless cards, has low overhead and running cost and is very stable and is constantly being maintain.

I use it, and I love it. It's very customizable and has packages for additional support and you can also log into shell and configure by hand. I used to have a P3 933 with 128MB or ram and three network cards and a netgear wireless card. That work great for 2 years, then I decided to virtualize my installation to reduce my electric bill and used an access point and vlan capable switch to break up my network for two lans and a DMZ.

Works very well and performance is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
      Why not use pfsense?

It supports wireless cards, has low overhead and running cost and is very stable and is constantly being maintain.
      Thanks, looks pretty good. I believe i've heard about it before but forgot. I looked at the list of features and while print server isn't listed, i assume it can do that, no?
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        Thanks, looks pretty good. I believe i've heard about it before but forgot. I looked at the list of features and while print server isn't listed, i assume it can do that, no?
        Like I said it customizable, if you're comfortable with the command line.

You'll need to install the cups package from freebsd and then configure and add the service to startup and so on.

Just be aware that the guy that posted this, wrote it in a bad format. So read several times before acting.
        http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=44941.0

There are others like endian firewall, ClearOS, untangle, but free to use but extra will cost something.
        Last edited by Mad_Professor; 03-26-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Cool project again.

Wish you lived a little closer. We have a pile of these and other quality Dell systems of the same era at my old work. I guess it's a good thing my former boss never has time, otherwise they would have been sent to the recyclers a long time ago. We still have most of them, AFAIK.

It has one of those weird form factor PSUs, but it's a Delta so i don't expect it to give me trouble.
          It's actually a Lite-On, check the UL number. Another giveaway is the "AMBIENT: 50C MAX" text, which can be seen on pretty much all Lite-On units of that era.
          Still a pretty decent PSU, of course. I would suggest you open it and check it for bad or cold solder joints, though. Even though it's an older PSU, Lite-On jumped the Lead-free wagon very early with some of these units. The PSU in my Dell Dimension XPS R400 has a Lite-On PSU with Lead-free solder - the underside looks quite horrible.... but it works fine.
          Last edited by momaka; 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't something like an HP t5720 work better?

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              It's actually a Lite-On, check the UL number. Another giveaway is the "AMBIENT: 50C MAX" text, which can be seen on pretty much all Lite-On units of that era.
              Hmm, interesting. Any idea who OEM'd the motherboard then? It has Delta printed on one of the coils, but AFAIK Delta never made mobos. Still, this board is different from anything i've seen before so i can't tell. I never liked brand name systems so i stay away from them for the most part, that's why i don't have much experience with their guts.

@ shovenose: That thin client seems to have only one PCI slot. I need three.

Comment

I have one of these GX110s, swapped out the 933MHz PIII with a 1GHz one. Works like a dream with it

Comment

I used to have some SFF's of the GX110. Worked great /w the 1ghz chip

and I can attest to PFSENSE. used it at home and at where I used to work for years. Put it on a CF card with an ide adapter. does have wap support (prefers atheros chipsets to any other). if you want wired and wireless to communicate with eachother you're going to have to bridge the interfaces, thats one of the first hurdles i've noticed if you're new to pfs
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Hmm, interesting. Any idea who OEM'd the motherboard then?
                    No idea. Is there a UL number on it? I guess I'll check my XPS R400 tomorow just to get a general idea.

I don't like name-brand systems to much either, but they're pretty common around here, especially in buisnesses, offices, and schools.

Comment

Working...
                    X