WAG102 still not working after bad cap replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAG102 still not working after bad cap replacement

I've had this A/G wireless access point for a few years now, and ever since I bought it, I've loved it, it has many useful more professional features that the usual home access points didn't have, including vlans (which was actually one of the main reason I had bought it).

Suddenly it had been acting sporadically, and not really thinking about it and having other things to worry about at the time, I had just rigged up a network cable for my laptop instead of going through wireless. At some later point I had noticed that only the power LED was coming on, and once again, I delayed at actually trying to do anything about it because there were other things going on, note it was powered through Power-over-Ethernet this whole time.

Well, once I finally got around to it, I popped the case open and looked inside, noticing that it had at least 1 bulging capacitor. I tested all 3 of its caps, verified that at least that one was bad, and went to my trusty electronics supply store and, having replaced caps before on various electronic devices, went ahead and bought all 3 of the correct caps for it (thought I might as well replace them all, seeing as it only had 3)

After the usual ordeal of removing the old ones and replacing them with the new ones, I plugged it in to test it, and lo and behold, the only LED to light was still the power LED, I get nothing out of the test, LAN or WLAN LEDs at all, no matter what I try.

Does anybody know what else could be wrong with this? I haven't had a chance to pick up a 3.3v serial to RS232 interface or JTAG interface yet, so I can't tell you what's come out of that at all as of yet, though any help until then would be greatly appreciated.

See below for a photo of the device (sorry for bad quality, had to use my phone, edited has locations and ratings of each cap, as well as LED, Serial and JTAG locations, MAC address and serial number covered for privacy purposes).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by leos220; 11-29-2011, 05:57 AM.

Re: WAG102 still not working after bad cap replacement

Power supply?
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

tried wiring direct this access point to your computer?
      try using a crossover cable for this
      wat is the result, LED lights up? limited or no connectivity?

Comment

Trusty electronics supply stores rarely have low ESR caps.
        If the problem from the bad cap was too much Ripple getting to the IC chips then that might still be the problem.
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-30-2011, 04:23 AM.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
          Power supply?
          Already tried the stock PSU to no avail.

Originally posted by ant3202 View Post
          tried wiring direct this access point to your computer?
          try using a crossover cable for this
          wat is the result, LED lights up? limited or no connectivity?
          Also already tried this with no luck.

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
          Trusty electronics supply stores rarely have low ESR caps.
          If the problem from the bad cap was too much Ripple getting to the IC chips then that might still be the problem.
          I'll look into that and see if that might be the problem, though I do feel like it's a long shot, I've never had a problem with their caps before.
          Last edited by leos220; 11-30-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X