Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia XBR-65x900e Test pattern

Hello all,
    I got this beauty of a 65" Android Smart TV from a roommate whose boss through it out because it didn't work. I've fixed a few TVs before, but was being stupid on this one:

Original issue:
    TV powered down after a minute or so, but picture was fine.
    Tried replacing main board, which didn't work. I should have just replaced the AC Power board.

Months later, I replaced the power board, so I can see the screen. I lost / threw out my original main board, and there is now what I believe to be a defective main board in the TV. My symptoms are, when I power up the TV, there are changing test patterns. White, Blue, black, vertical rainbow stripes, horizontal rainbow stripes. I have sound that sounds like it is in the Android TV menu, sort of an ethereal ohm-ing.

To my understanding, the test pattern comes from the TCON board, so the TCON board is good as the picture looks flawless. I think the lack of picture comes from the main board. I've tried a firmware update via USB. I know it went through because of a flashing status light going for about 10 minutes, and then the TV reboots, back to test pattern.

So this seems like it is definitely the mainboard, or possibly bad lvds cables.
    Curious what these test patterns mean in terms of troubleshooting hardware.
    A main board is 100+ dollars, what are some good tips on ruling out lvds cables? Has anyone had experience with these smart TVs in terms of buying a new main board on a place like ebay? Is firmware update necessary.

It seems that the component(s) of the mainboard that send video are defective. I've searched around the forum for issues similar to mine where people are seeing a test pattern, but didn't find much.

I know I've rambled but anyone with resources on this specific tv or other Sony Android TVs would be super helpful. These are mini computers.
    Thanks Everyone in advance

Re: Sony Bravia XBR-65x900e Test pattern

Did the status lights on the front of the tv change when your update was finished?

Comment

On my older sony, if I recall, while updating there would be 2 lights blinking and when it was done they were solid or sum such.

Comment

Is there any possibility the original owner of that main board set it to do a test pattern? Other Sony KDL-40xxxx series TVs have a service menu that you can get into to do that.

With the TV in standby, try the following key press combination:
        • i+ (info button, or display button)
        • volume up
        • power button
        Last edited by ngth82; 04-07-2020, 07:40 PM.
        -Thomas
        I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

What is the full panel number? Should be on a sticker on the metal tv chassis, can you post some good clear straight on pictures of each board and one of the whole back to see how they are connected?

Comment

Could be you need one or both of those system software updates, be sure to follow exactly as directed if you get it: https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...ry=XBR-65x900e

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
              Did the status lights on the front of the tv change when your update was finished?
              The status light was flashing while the update was running and changed when it was done, then rebooted.

Originally posted by ngth82 View Post
              Is there any possibility the original owner of that main board set it to do a test pattern? Other Sony KDL-40xxxx series TVs have a service menu that you can get into to do that.

With the TV in standby, try the following key press combination:

i+ (info button, or display button)
              volume up
              power button
              That is a great thought... I've tried to factory reset it, but maybe it does take the service menu to get it out of test mode. Would simply pressing the key combination get me in the service menu to where I can take it out of test mode? I'm going to try this suggestion tomorrow and post some pics if that doesn't fix it.

Thanks all

Comment

Did you check those system software updates in post #6??

Comment

Try holding down the power button on tv for 10 or 15 seconds, you probably already tried the exit button on remote.

Comment

Another reset to try: Unplug the AC power cord.
                    Press and hold down the power button and volume minus button buttons simultaneously, and then (while holding the buttons down) plug the AC power cord back in.

Continue to hold the buttons down until the green LED light appears.
                    It will take about 10 - 30 seconds for the LED to turn green.

Release the buttons after the green LED light appears.

If the white LED light doesn't turn green within 30 seconds, start from step 1 again. If the welcome screen does not appear If the screen doesn't appear, unplug the AC power cord and then plug it back in.
                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-09-2020, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Maybe this will help.
                      If the set is equipped with an LCD panel using an LG open cell ( Visible symptom is : TV is showing test pattern, repeating White, Red, Green, etc.)
                      This can be caused due to a defective LVDS cable, the t-con "thinks" that no signal is being offered and then the test pattern starts.

Comment

I like this hint.... as this type of "symptom" has been reported many times. Normally, it is the result of "jumpering" a couple of pins.... which maybe is equated to what you describe.

Comment

Nomoresonys:
                          I checked and the only applicable update is the 6.5xxx firmware update, which I have already applied. I did the factory reset successfully, and in doing so, I noticed some strange behavior, that lends some credence to William1967s post:

After factory reset, I was pressing the up and down buttons on the remote.
                          The test pattern isn't totally static. There are all the colors, but there seems to be dark overlays. When I press the up and down buttons on the remote, I can hear the 'bing' sound of changing menu selections. This very slight gray overlay changes with the sounds. Its like a very slight change in the picture, that correspond to the menu selection. Seems that a very slight signal is making it to the TCON and then display.
                          Its a bit hard to describe. Its almost like a ghost image of the Android OS menu at 1% opacity. If the TCON needs a certain amount of signal to display it the picture fully, and it isn't getting it, it would make sense that the lvds cables junked caused it..

Budwich, what do you mean by jumpering a couple of pins? Are you referring to the main board pins or the connectors on LVDS cables?

This really makes me think the main board is OK and maybe I personally *ed up the cables... Certainly a cheaper fix to try than a main board. Thoughts?

Heres a link to a video of what I'm seeing. Its hard to tell as is, let alone in this video, but the easiest place to see the change I am referring to is in the bottom right of the screen on certain colors. Not at trick of the light!
                          https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...M3R3RIWF9BVTBB
                          Last edited by m3tal82; 04-09-2020, 11:15 AM. Reason: Additions

Comment

I ordered some new LVDS cables by next day air, fingers crossed they work.

Comment

Dudes! I feel so smart. One of the LVDS cables had a tiny bit of wear it looked like to me. I took a razor and sliced a few mm off, cleaned the ends, and voila It works. Wooooo buddy.

Comment

glad you solved the problem. My statement was with regards to pins at the tcon. I assume that you "cleaned" the cable between the main and the tcon.

Comment

Nice work, thanks for the followup.

Comment

After slicing the end off with the razor, there were some burrs on the end of the ribbon connector going into the main board, so I dulled those up a bit so nothing got stuck or damaged the female pat of the main board.

Comment

Originally posted by m3tal82 View Post
                                      Hello all,
                                      I got this beauty of a 65" Android Smart TV from a roommate whose boss through it out because it didn't work. I've fixed a few TVs before, but was being stupid on this one:

Original issue:
                                      TV powered down after a minute or so, but picture was fine.
                                      Tried replacing main board, which didn't work. I should have just replaced the AC Power board.

Months later, I replaced the power board, so I can see the screen. I lost / threw out my original main board, and there is now what I believe to be a defective main board in the TV. My symptoms are, when I power up the TV, there are changing test patterns. White, Blue, black, vertical rainbow stripes, horizontal rainbow stripes. I have sound that sounds like it is in the Android TV menu, sort of an ethereal ohm-ing.

To my understanding, the test pattern comes from the TCON board, so the TCON board is good as the picture looks flawless. I think the lack of picture comes from the main board. I've tried a firmware update via USB. I know it went through because of a flashing status light going for about 10 minutes, and then the TV reboots, back to test pattern.

So this seems like it is definitely the mainboard, or possibly bad lvds cables.
                                      Curious what these test patterns mean in terms of troubleshooting hardware.
                                      A main board is 100+ dollars, what are some good tips on ruling out lvds cables? Has anyone had experience with these smart TVs in terms of buying a new main board on a place like ebay? Is firmware update necessary.

It seems that the component(s) of the mainboard that send video are defective. I've searched around the forum for issues similar to mine where people are seeing a test pattern, but didn't find much.

I know I've rambled but anyone with resources on this specific tv or other Sony Android TVs would be super helpful. These are mini computers.
                                      Thanks Everyone in advance
                                      I experienced the exact same issue. A new main board was purchase and installed. Alternating blinking red and green lights indicated software update. Updating the mainboard was a nightmare and require many, many attempts. Finally, I got the main board to start and take the update indicated by a blinking white light. Afterwards, what was a black screen was now the “color test pattern screen” that this thread is addressing. I searched the internet and read that the board was in a “mode” but could not find HOW to get it out of what some call the “self-diagnostic color test mode” or “purity test.” I completely removed the board from the TV to visually compare the new board to the old board. The board was disconnected 20 minutes or so. Once I reinstalled the board and reconnected the wires, I powered up the system and everything was fine. I guess is whatever capacitance that was keeping the EPROM in the test mode, drained away and it then went back to normal viewing mode. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinton27 View Post
                                        I guess is whatever capacitance that was keeping the EPROM in the test mode,.
                                        Wow, that's a new feature of EEPROM, I didn't know about it.
                                        Seriously, I had the same problem, that was because of broken cable not making good connection at main board side, same as OP described.

Comment

Working...
                                        X