Capacitor Replacement - Quick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor Replacement - Quick Question

Hi guys, first time poster long time reader of this forum.

I have a quick question to ask. I have purchased a Jetway V266B mobo (AMD Socket A, AGP, Via KT266A) as a replacement board to an existing system.

The replacement board has had some of the larger capacitors replaced. The board's layout is that it has 7 large caps adjacent to the cpu socket, 4 in line a little below that and 2 next to the AGP slot.

Here is a link to a thread with some pictures.

http://capsmod.net/forum/viewthread....extra=page%3D1

the 7 large caps next to the cpu socket can be seen in the first pic and the line of 4 in pics 2 & 3 in the link above.

The original caps are as follows:

7 caps next to cpu: 6.3V 1500uF GSC (I have read threads that confirm these are of poor quality)
    4 caps in line: 16V 1500uF GSC
    2 caps by agp slot: 6.3V 1500uF GSC

The replacement board has:

7 caps next to cpu: 10V 2200uF Elna (never heard of them !!!)
    4 caps in line: 16V 1500uF (these have not been changed)
    2 caps by agp slot: 10V 2200uF Elna

I have read the FAQs in this forum as well as this thread

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=voltage

and understand that although the voltage of the cap is not so much of an issue, the uF could be, as if pushed too high this would 'stall' the psu and/or create other issues.

My simple question is this:

Will the caps on the replacement board work fine or are they likely to create any type of problem. I think from my searching it will be ok.

Any help or info provided would be much appreciated

Many thanks
    Last edited by risk_reversal; 09-20-2007, 05:48 AM.

Re: Capacitor Replacement - Quick Question

There's nothing bad about Elna, though I haven't seen them on mainboards before but mainly in audio equipment (Denon use them in their amps, for instance).

Can you specify the exact series of those caps? It's hard to tell anything specific just by the manufacturer. One important feature is their temp rating; they HAVE to be rated for 105°c, otherwise they won't live very long.

You might simply give it a try and run a few benchmarks including memtest to see if it runs with those caps in the first place. Frankly, I don't see why it shouldn't.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

hmm... those 4 GSC caps should definitely be replaced, however. I'm not quite sure for which rail they are used, but I'm sure someone else here can tell you.
      As I assume that they're not on the Vcore rail (as the 7 others) it should be okay to use a different brand than Elna.
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Many thanks for your reply kikkoman.

The info on the Elna capacitor is as follows:

one side:

CE85*C
        RE3 (written in small)
        P (with a circle around it)

other side:

Elna 10V
        2200uF (M)

That is all that is written on the caps.

Many thanks for your help

Comment

That Elna is an RE3, general-purpose 85c cap. Its use here is a serious misapplication - it's not low-ESR or high-ripple current capable. Note that Elna makes very good capacitors, mainly for audio applications, but this series is unsuitable for motherboard/VRM use.

Comment

Very many thanks for your info linuxguru.

Guess I had better return this mobo and secure a refund as I was not told at purchase that this mobo had been recapped.

Again most kind.

Cheers

Comment

Is it OK to resurrect this old thread ? I have this same mainboard. I'd like to replace the capacitors, but I need some advice... I am not electronics savvy, but I do know how to solder and desolder.

I need someone to tell me exactly what capacitors to order

Thanks !
              Craig in Maine.

Comment

I fix computers regularly, but I have never replaced a capacitor. I found tutorials on youtube that I can follow, but I don't know what capacitors to order, LOL. This thread seemed like a good source of information, because the first post states what capacitors are on the board. But I don't really understand it.

For example :

Originally posted by risk_reversal View Post

The original caps are as follows:

7 caps next to cpu: 6.3V 1500uF GSC (I have read threads that confirm these are of poor quality)
                4 caps in line: 16V 1500uF GSC
                2 caps by agp slot: 6.3V 1500uF GSC

Comment

Comment

I realize the board has basically no value, but I have a bunch of old socket A processors ... So ... Why not fix it ? LOL.

Comment

the 6.3v caps i would use polymer ones, the 16v ones i would use panasonic FM or FR series.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I'll need to do some more research before I can understand it, LOL.

I am a capacitor n00b
                        Last edited by spystyle; 03-10-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spystyle View Post
                          Thanks for the reply.

I'll need to do some more research before I can understand it, LOL.

I am a capacitor n00b
                          We all started somewhere In my case takin shit apart a blowing it up, but in hindsight, not the best place to start.
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

w00t

I think I need to measure the height, diameter, and Lead Spacing ... of each capacitor (once removed). Then ..

9 caps, 6.3V 1500uF = "polymer" @ the measured size.

and

4 caps, 16V 1500uF = "panasonic FM or FR series" @ the measured size.

Originally posted by kikkoman View Post
                            ...they HAVE to be rated for 105°c, otherwise they won't live very long...

... That may be all I need to know to order new caps
                            Last edited by spystyle; 03-10-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spystyle View Post
                              I realize the board has basically no value, but I have a bunch of old socket A processors ... So ... Why not fix it ? LOL.
                              No value? You are not watching the price of these motherboards go up and up on eBay. Especially nforce2 boards.

Comment

It would be a good idea to completely clean that board BEFORE you start removing old caps and soldering new caps.

Comment

Yes I intend to clean it. it is just dusty from being used back in the day, then set aside. I belonged to my meanest aunt, LOL.

Do you have anything particular in mind for cleaning it ? I was just going to use compressed air or rubbing alcohol.

Comment

Mainboards from 2001 have value ? I'll take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      the 6.3v caps i would use polymer ones, the 16v ones i would use panasonic FM or FR series.
                                      The coils seems to have 12 turns, that would mean it's a pretty low frequency VRM and might not respond well to polymer caps.
                                      I'd just make it simple and use Panasonic FM or FR everywhere
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

OK thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X