Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 42PFL9732D slow startup

Hi.
    My Philips TV is very slow to turn on. When I first try to turn it on the light turns to blue (on) with no picture. I hear several double clicks (relay?), and after a few minutes it goes back to standby. If I try to turn it on again it usually works and I get picture etc.

It has gotten a little harder and slower to turn on lately so I figured it was time to try to fix it now. So I opend it up hoping it was just some obviously bad caps to replace, but I did not find any..

So whats going on? Where should I look now?
    The only thing I could see possibly wrong on the board was the dark area on the picture.

Power board: 313 61714
    Attached Files

Re: Philips 42PFL9732D slow startup

That dark area is just due to heat over the yeras that discolored the board, give some pictures of the complete board, Also have you checked any voltages? they could be labled near the connectors.
    It is likely a weak cap and could be one of the small ones that will look ok but bust be checked with a esr meter.
    Start by removing the board and check for poor solder connetcions on the board, especially where the heat is around those transistors, also check any connections to the transformers and parts mounted to heatsinks
    Last edited by R_J; 12-02-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Back home..

Removed one 1000uf 25v cap. Measured 904uf, ESR: 0.31, Vloss 1.6%
      Most of the caps on the board is rubycon and nichicon, but this was a lelon.
      Could this be the bad cap?

Going to replace it with a Panasonic FM.

Comment

So I removed a 50v 10uf lelon cap next. It measured an ESR of 6.3!
        I have a 50v 22uf FM. That is an ok replacement?

Comment

It depends on where it is in the circuit, it will likely be ok

Comment

Still same problem after replacing some small caps.
            Circled the relay that's clicking when TV is trying to start.
            Found a PDF with some diagrams etc.

https://mega.nz/#!bRFhzIZZ!7S2X77zwl...4mw_FoDsimmNyc (too big to upload) Diagrams from pg. 58

Could it be the relay that is going bad, or some other component?
            Tried to touch up some solder joints etc too, but no change.
            The solder pads is breaking off super easy, but easy to follow the traces with a flashlight from the back side.

Remember I had a technician here many years ago replacing the inverter boards under warranty. Opend and looked at the slave one that's easy to get to and caps looked fine etc, Rev 1.3 board.
            Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a stable +5V2 standby voltage? Looks like the standby supply is on the main board
              Last edited by R_J; 12-05-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

TV wont go into stanby now. When I put in the power cord it goes directly into blue light. It starts clicking and after a few minutes it goes completely off with no light, so that's new.

Measured 5V2 and 12V on 1P11 and they where stable and good.

Comment

Tried some more, and got some error code blinking. 5 long red and 3 short.
                  That mans: PNX 8535 doesn't boot (SW cause) from the manual.
                  Could it be that the problem is on the other main board?
                  7 lelon caps on the board. The big one is maybe a little suspect, can feel a tiny bit of bulging. I have ordered replacement 450v 68uf.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Those caps will show a bit of a dome due to the plastic disc on top, you can usually press it and if it goes down it will be ok. I doubt it would cause your problem.

Comment

The voltage I have tested on the power board looks good, error code seems to link to the PNX8535 on the other board. So why not?

After pushing a bit on the top of the 450v cap I am even more sure I feel a bulge. It seems the board gets AC from the power board via 1P02 as far as I understand.

Comment

Changed out all the caps on input board, it helped a tiny bit.
                        Noticed that the transformer circled is making noise. After the relay clicks on and off the sound goes up and down, else is a constant buzz.

What should I do next? ..
                        Attached Files

Comment

is there a time difference in starting, if the tv is cold versus when the TV is warm?

Comment

It works 100% if warm. Only cold start from standby or completely off takes ages with relay clicking etc.

After changing out caps I get picture after fewer relay clicks, but it turns on with some static on half the screen and then relay clicks off and on a few more times before it works.

Comment

is the same true, if you warm the board up with a hair dryer, then turn it on? I'd say you problem is probably with the smaller caps.

Comment

smaller capacitors generally dry out first .

Comment

changed out all of the caps on the input board and all of the lelon caps on power board. All caps on both boards are now high quality japan caps.
                                  They did not measure terrible, worst was ca 15% off in capacitance
                                  Last edited by tiltkoko; 01-02-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

pre heat parts of the boards until it comes on properly ..repeat as can be misleading . then if that worked home in with freeze spray ....

Comment

Working...
                                    X