Removing guts of PSU from case…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing guts of PSU from case…

My latest case modding idea is to put a PC inside an old Mustek 1200 scanner.

It's a bulky scanner, and with the guts removed I'm sure it's big enough for a Micro ATX motherboard and PSU. Only thing is the PSU will only fit if I remove it from its case and simply mount the PCB at a suitable location inside the scanner.

I've started dismantling the PSU (250W FSP if that matters) but I don't have the heart to finish tonight. My question is, without the metal casing surrounding it, will it interfere with the motherboard and any electronics nearby for that matter? The scanner's case is completely plastic.

I assume these things pump out a lot of RF interference and the metal case usually soaks all of this up, is this correct? Or will it really not be a problem?

If it is a problem could I get around it by lining the bottom of the scanner's case with sections from biscuit tin, and do my best to make dividers out of biscuit tin to go in between the PSU and other components? Or wouldn't that help.

I'm also quite worried about killing myself in the process, if the PSU has been off for a few days, have the large caps discharged a safe amount?

Anyway, this is my first post, so hi everyone!

Re: Removing guts of PSU from case…

Ah well I've taken the PSU out of its case now, I guess there's no turning back now as I destroyed the case getting the power plug out the back. I suppose I could have de-soldered it then removed it from the back of the case and re-attached it, but I don't currently have a soldering iron.

Comment

Re: Removing guts of PSU from case…

The EMI is mostly going to be a problem for external devices, not those digital inside the scanner. If the PSU has been off for about 15 seconds, not days, it has drained enough to be safe to completely dismantle and handle.

IMO, the largest obstacle is putting in partitions such that an exhaust fan channels the air past the heatsinks on the PSU. If your system is relatively lower current it won't matter as much.

I wouldn't bother with the biscuit tin pieces, but if you find external devivces suffering from EMI then get a spay can of metal flake EMI preventitive coating (which isn't cheap, I suggest you wait and see if it's necessary) then ground the case interior.

Comment

Working...
      X