X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

JNC LC-A350ATX

The pcb has spots for 2 output caps per rail and pi coils, but none has been installed! 2 caps are bulging.

2x C4106 7A continuous transistors were used here.

All the parts are undersized even for 200W

The 80mm fan is xinruilian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-09-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Allied Premier DR-B350ATX (MAX 350W)

First, I thought someone tried to recap this thing and he used a mix of different capacitor brands (Samxon, Suscon, Chemicon KY and more).

But when I looked at the solder side of the PCB, I couldn't find any difference in the soldering technique of the caps and other parts, so I can't offer any explanation..

Btw the psu uses 2x TT2146, similar to 13007, it has 2 diodes on a bracket for 12V and the same output voltage filtering with the previous L&C power supply.

And it's dead: 5vsb only

The fan is the typical 80mm Sleeve bearing Globe fan.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
        I got 13 Deer/L&C/Allied/Solytech power supplies for free, but most of them are badly burnt due to fan getting seized.
        Oh Deer! I guess the hunting season came late for you this year (but delivered well, nonetheless).

Let me try to guess: these came out from some office or game cafe PCs, where they were kept turned on most of the time.

Τhere isn't much to talk about anyway, because there are hardly any parts inside these power supplies
        At least you can stock up on jumper wires then!

Premier DR-8400BTX (MAX 400W)

Have you ever seen a power supply so badly burnt?
        12V gets 2 DIODES on a bracket, there is not a single pi coil on that psu!

Edit: 5vsb survived! The rest is dead.
        Wow! I don't know about the burned part, but I have definitely never seen such a gutless unit. Look at that secondary side!
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1515540941
        1 tiny cap per rail and tiny output torroids. What a joke! I think even pulling 50W would cause the ripple to be out of spec on this one.

That said, I'm surprised the output coil hasn't burned itself. And also the 5VSB still running.

On that note, I think your h-bridge film cap on the primary side is what saved things here from getting any worse. Look, it has spewed its guts out (bottom right of the picture):
        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1515540941

Same unit, same failure: Fan seized (80mm sleeve bearing Globe fan), heat did the rest.

The toroid coil is done

But it still works!
        Lol, this makes zero sense. On this one, only the output toroid burned, but the rest of the unit is okay. Go figure.

Premier DR-8460BTX (MAX 450W)

Better quality with improved parts:
        2X P13007 switching transistors
        SB3045ST for 5V rail
        SB1060CT for 12V rail

Still it's a PoS. Still, the fan seized
        Lolwut?! It used to be that 13007 transistors were the "minimum" you'd find in any gutless PSU. Now they are considered the better alternative?
        *Sigh* Oh Deer!

Force DR-8460BTX (MAX 450W)

This is not an APFC unit, but both the 2 x Anodia 470uF 200V main caps are bulging and their capacitance is ~5uF and the esr ~60ohm.

Why?
        Since both primary caps are bulged and not just one of them, I think there must have been a fairly long voltage spike on the line. Either that, or the power must have kept going and On and Off many times in one day (if you fully charge and discharge electrolytic caps more than 10 times per day, their electrolyte will start to get damaged... and if you do it many more times... like 100 or more, it's quite possible for the electrolyte to completely break down). So either one or the other happened.

Force SL-8600EPS (MAX 600W)

... but it probably wouldn't be able to deliver anything without ripple being out of spec with that terrible 1 cap per pair solution.
        Yep.
        Although if you use very big caps (like 4700 uF or higher for the 3.3V and 5V rails, and 3300 uF or higher for the 12V rail), the PSU just might be able to deliver enough power for use with a 12V-based PC (like 7 Amps on the 12V rail for a low-power 45-70 Watt CPU).
        Still, who's going to waste parts on a POS like this? Unless you already have these big caps and you got them for dirt-cheap, it's not worth it probably.

JNC LC-A350ATX

The pcb has spots for 2 output caps per rail and pi coils, but none has been installed! 2 caps are bulging.

2x C4106 7A continuous transistors were used here.

All the parts are undersized even for 200W

The 80mm fan is xinruilian.
        Finally something that could be fixed up *if* you really wanted. With upgraded rectifiers and the PI coils and missing caps added, you might (just *might* ) end up with a barely acceptable 200-250W.

Same goes for the Allied Premier DR-B350ATX. At least both of these units have better heatsinks, enough output cap spots, and better output toroids (more turns, at least).

Still, is it worth it?
        I doubt it. Though many years back when I first started visiting Badcaps.net, there were a lot more people fixing up these crappy PSUs that now. Nowadays, the price of a new (good) PSUs isn't that high anymore. Moreover, the market for used OEM PSUs (like Delta, HiPro, and LiteOn) has been flooded, thanks to many offices and schools changing their PCs every 3-4 years (if even that many).
        Last edited by momaka; 01-10-2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Allied Premier DR-B350ATX (MAX 350W)

First, I thought someone tried to recap this thing and he used a mix of different capacitor brands (Samxon, Suscon, Chemicon KY and more).

But when I looked at the solder side of the PCB, I couldn't find any difference in the soldering technique of the caps and other parts, so I can't offer any explanation..

Btw the psu uses 2x TT2146, similar to 13007, it has 2 diodes on a bracket for 12V and the same output voltage filtering with the previous L&C power supply.

And it's dead: 5vsb only

The fan is the typical 80mm Sleeve bearing Globe fan.
          Is it just me, or has that "2003" control IC gone poof?

-Ben

P.S. Looks like you struck gold ... er, brown, crispy gold.
          Those cheapo PSUs are probably good for 200W max, and even then that is pushing it, especially if you are drawing more than 5 or so amps on the 12V. (For the 2-diodes-on-a-bracket type)

As for the one with the bloated primary caps ... you should possibly check the leakage current, and the balancing resistors. It's possible that one cap failed with high leakage current, and then over-volted the other cap, causing both to fail. Or, it might just be the usual crappy caps.
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Same goes for the Allied Premier DR-B350ATX. At least both of these units have better heatsinks, enough output cap spots, and better output toroids (more turns, at least).

Still, is it worth it?
            I doubt it. Though many years back when I first started visiting Badcaps.net, there were a lot more people fixing up these crappy PSUs that now. Nowadays, the price of a new (good) PSUs isn't that high anymore. Moreover, the market for used OEM PSUs (like Delta, HiPro, and LiteOn) has been flooded, thanks to many offices and schools changing their PCs every 3-4 years (if even that many).
            Unless you repurpose them for old retro machines or simply for the fun of fixing them.

And for the record, the Allied above isn't worth it. The heatsinks on that one are MUCH MUCH thinner than the JNC. I know that because I have an PCB exactly like that, and not only a few EXTRA spots for inductors (for example the L2 inductor near 5vSB) but the heatsinks are paper thin.

Most of the units I happen to come across either have the same PCB as the JNC posted above (with the extra inductor spots) or are the 2005-2007 design.

By the way, you'd be amazed how many Deers you'd be able to find here in Romania. From the most gutless units to decent ones.
            Last edited by Dan81; 01-10-2018, 09:02 AM.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

On that note, I think your h-bridge film cap on the primary side is what saved things here from getting any worse. Look, it has spewed its guts out (bottom right of the picture):
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1515540941
              Yeap! Never seen something like this before. Aren't those the type of caps that short out when they go bad?

Lol, this makes zero sense. On this one, only the output toroid burned, but the rest of the unit is okay. Go figure.
              And it works

Finally something that could be fixed up *if* you really wanted. With upgraded rectifiers and the PI coils and missing caps added, you might (just *might* ) end up with a barely acceptable 200-250W.

Still, is it worth it?
              Not worth it! My source informed me yesterday evening that he has made another psu package for me. The packet will include:
              1) Power Innovator, Model LC-B250ATX
              2) FORCE, Model SL-800EPS (MAX 500W)
              3) FSP GROUP INC., Model FSP250-60HEN
              4) AQPPROX!, Model app550PS
              5) PANSTAR, Model PSA-235
              6) HANTOL, 550W
              7) POWERTECH, ATX-450W
              8) THERMALTAKE TR2-420 PP

And it is for free! I am going to post pics and info about them as soon as I get them

Originally posted by ben7 View Post

-Ben
              Possible. I can't tell if it is burnt, or just glue.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
              By the way, you'd be amazed how many Deers you'd be able to find here in Romania. From the most gutless units to decent ones.
              Same here! They're everywhere
              Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I got 13 Deer/L&C/Allied/Solytech power supplies for free, but most of them are badly burnt due to fan getting seized.

I am going to post some pics without many comments. Τhere isn't much to talk about anyway, because there are hardly any parts inside these power supplies

Premier DR-8400BTX (MAX 400W)

Have you ever seen a power supply so badly burnt?

The fan that seized is a "Muhua Fan-Tech".

What I like here is that the PCB was evenly burnt in most of its surface! The output caps are all bulging, the cables have burnt too!

The primary transistors 2x D4206 are rated for 7A continuous, worse than 130007 rated for 8A.

12V gets 2 DIODES on a bracket, there is not a single pi coil on that psu!

Edit: 5vsb survived! The rest is dead.
                That is one horrifying POS! 200W would be pushing those heatsinks and power devices really hard. And with 330uF input caps you wouldn't have to worry about hold-up time ... there wouldn't be any to worry about.

Is the fan from Mua-hua-hua Fan-Tech?
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                  Since both primary caps are bulged and not just one of them, I think there must have been a fairly long voltage spike on the line. Either that, or the power must have kept going and On and Off many times in one day (if you fully charge and discharge electrolytic caps more than 10 times per day, their electrolyte will start to get damaged... and if you do it many more times... like 100 or more, it's quite possible for the electrolyte to completely break down). So either one or the other happened.
                  According to page 9 (Figures 23, 24, and 25) of this UCC document, it takes many more charge/discharge cycles (10,000 at 60ºC with 30 second charge/discharge cycle durations) to instantly damage an electrolytic capacitor. General purpose capacitors are especially susceptible to heavy charge/discharge currents as they can cause cathodic foil oxidation and rapid gas generation. The Anodia primaries probably failed because A) there are no MOVs to protect the caps from overbias or B) there are no bleeder resistors to balance the voltage between the caps or C) Anodia isn’t the best, as stated before me.
                  Last edited by Wester547; 01-10-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post

-Ben
                    Good call! Yes, that PWM controller definitely looks toast. Perhaps the 5VSB goes wonky with a load? Or the main supply did and sent overvoltage to the PWM.

Unless you repurpose them for old retro machines or simply for the fun of fixing them.
                    Yes, or that.
                    For me, it's fixing them for fun, even if I do intend to use them for parts, eventually - at least that way, I know everything in the PSU was working before I pull parts from it.

And for the record, the Allied above isn't worth it. The heatsinks on that one are MUCH MUCH thinner than the JNC.
                    Yeah, I saw that.
                    But the heatsink thickness isn't as important as the surface area. The JNC and the Allied above are the only ones that have fairly tall heatsinks. All the other units have laughable heatsinks.

I know that because I have an PCB exactly like that
                    Me too.

Same in Bulgaria.
                    Linkworld seems to be another popular PSU choice here, but not as much IMO.

But hey, at least it's not PowMax or some low-end Sunpro/Raidmax.

Aren't those the type of caps that short out when they go bad?
                    Not always. Turns out it depends on the manufacturer and the film cap type (there are several, like Polyester, Polypropylene, and etc.) Some do go short-circuit indeed. Others go open-circuit or very very low capacitance.

And it works
                    That's the scariest part!

Not worth it! My source informed me yesterday evening that he has made another psu package for me. The packet will include:
                    6) HANTOL, 550W
                    7) POWERTECH, ATX-450W

And it is for free! I am going to post pics and info about them as soon as I get them
                    Nice!
                    Some of these should be decent (the FSP, obviously, and maybe the Thermaltake).

Are you running a repair shop now or something? Seems like you've been busy lately and also getting lots of PC stuff. Hope you don't mind me asking, of course. Kind of cool anyways.
                    Last edited by momaka; 01-10-2018, 03:12 PM.

Comment

6) HANTOL, 550W
                      7) POWERTECH, ATX-450W
                      The Thermaltake is the most interesting one of those.

Rest seems rather shitty (except for the FSP of course)...

Comment

But hey, at least it's not PowMax or some low-end Sunpro/Raidmax.
                        Actually those do pop up too at times - most of the Raidmax I've seen here are Sun Pro units, with the exception of a RX-500XT unit (which I think is an Andyson) that one of my friends bought for his Core 2 Quad machine.

Also, some Delux "green label" PSUs are Sun Pro units. The silver label units are Leadman LP-7700 platforms though - I have a fairly decent one with a EI-40 transformer that I replaced the main switching transistors on. (D209L in place of 13007s)
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

From which close to none are actually coming from Deer, it's just a cheap chinese copy of a cheap chinese copy of a chinese copy of Deer (or another platform for that matter, they have not really invented it). They all look alike, but are still from totally different suppliers. These cheap rebranders often take each shipment from different fab actually.

Rly, with your imagionation, Deer would be the largest PSU manufacturer possibly in the whole UNIVERSE
                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Same unit, same failure: Fan seized (80mm sleeve bearing Globe fan), heat did the rest.

The toroid coil is done

But it still works!

3.3V: 3.13V
                            5V: 5.08V
                            12V: 12.5V
                            -12V: -12.02V
                            And this kids is why we use a scope to test PSU's and not a multimeter
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                              From which close to none are actually coming from Deer, it's just a cheap chinese copy of a cheap chinese copy of a chinese copy of Deer (or another platform for that matter, they have not really invented it). They all look alike, but are still from totally different suppliers. These cheap rebranders often take each shipment from different fab actually.

Rly, with your imagionation, Deer would be the largest PSU manufacturer possibly in the whole UNIVERSE
                              They use the same PCB and components just as Deers. They even go as far as using their model numbers.

And for the record I did have a Deer unit (DR-A300ATX) and it was the same as the JNC.

You may be thinking of the crap Meiji/Meico (one of these) based JNCs, which are long extinct.
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Speaking of Deers, here's a unit I've worked on. Transformers aren't the original ones, they came from another Premier (LC-B400ATX, 400W) that surprisingly had beefy transformers (look at the sizes!) but the rest was paper thin. And yes, I can 100% confirm the main transformer in the pics is a ERL-35 transformer.

Critical cap was replaced with a Nichicon (don't know the series yet but it's a low ESR cap from a Delta PSU that I killed) from 2009. If needed, I can open up the PSU up again and check the cap, and the capacitance. Main primary caps are 470uF 200v Fuhjyyu LP (though I might replace them with some big Saturn 470uF caps) and 5vsb uses 2 Panasonic FL 1000uF 16v caps.

Might get some D209L switching transistors, find some good parts for the secondary, maybe a good Xinruilliam or Jamicon fan ( those are pretty good and besides, I'm not going to waste a Sunon leafblower for it.) and be done with it.

How many watts would you think it can output in this state? (given I install D209L switching transistors)
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Dan81; 01-15-2018, 01:34 PM.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

300W max.

If you install 680uF 200V capacitors, maybe it could do 350W, but I don't think it is worth it.

Are you running a repair shop now or something? Seems like you've been busy lately and also getting lots of PC stuff. Hope you don't mind me asking, of course. Kind of cool anyways.
                                  I wish I had my own shop.

Currently, I am self-employed, repairing computers and electronic devices (my lab is in my home) and looking for a full time job.
                                  Last edited by goodpsusearch; 01-15-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I was given a 12v 5a power supply to repair and i was not going to post it here until i saw a major design flaw on the secondary side which made me want to post it.
                                    Label...

Not promising.
                                    Top side...

Does not look that bad but it's definitely not 5 amps.
                                    under side...

Looks okayish.
                                    Primary side...

Not bad, at least it has some filtering on the input and a real fuse.
                                    The primary capacitor is a Taicon AS 47uf 400v.
                                    The bootstrap capacitor is a Taicon HW 33uf 50v.
                                    The switching mosfet is a CS2N60F mounted on a paper thin "heatsink".
                                    Secondary side...

At least it has some output filtering.
                                    The diode package is STPS3045C mounted on another paper thin heatsink. (if you can even call it that)
                                    The three capacitors are Taicon HK 1000uf 10V! (Not, that is not a typo, these are 10v capacitors on a 12v supply )
                                    That's it, i don't think i'm going to repair this thing as it's a piece of crap.
                                    Attached Files
                                    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

looks like a resistor was tacked on to adjust for 12v.
                                      you might be surprised to see how long it lasts. if the caps were decent they may reform ok to 12v.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                        looks like a resistor was tacked on to adjust for 12v.
                                        you might be surprised to see how long it lasts. if the caps were decent they may reform ok to 12v.
                                        The resistor is for the LED and the output voltage is extremely unstable making this power supply almost useless.
                                        I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                          under side...

Looks okayish.
                                          "Looks okayish"?!
                                          WTF that's some of the worst soldering I have ever seen.
                                          And the bodge jobs, what the fuck?
                                          I was going to annote the picture but realized It'd be easier to just put a red circle around the whole thing!
                                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM.
                                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                          X