Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop Optical drive SATA power connector pinout ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Optical drive SATA power connector pinout ?

Good day folks. I thought this would be simple to do, but for some reason it's not working: I'm trying to build a little jig to allow me to test and use laptop CD drives on "regular" computers. The real challenge is the power connector, since the data connector uses the same SATA cable as any other HDD or DVD drive, but the power comes through a 6-pin connector which differs from a desktop one. To work around this, I found a little interconnect board in my junk box, which normally goes between the DVD drive and the motherboard of a laptop and I thought it'd be easy to plug the male end of this into the DVD drive and just hack a piece of wire onto the 5v pin (see photo), so I did this, but for some reason it's not working AT ALL. I DO get 5v on the connector from my power adapter, but the drive does nothing at all - doesn't open, doesn't buzz....:| I know the adapter is fine and suitable for this, since it's specifically made for an external HDD/CD to USB adapter which works perfectly.

In the meantime, I dug through my junk box again and I managed to find a chopped up plug which looked like it might fit in the back of the disc drive I'm trying to power. It does fit, but again: applying 5v to the red wire of this does nothing: no activity whatsoever.

I think I'm getting the pins wrong. I searched high and low but COULD NOT find the pinout for a 6 pin laptop SATA power connector. Do these drives also need some sort of data to switch on ? I doubt it...as long as power goes in them it should work. I know there are pre-made adapters available, but that's no fun for us, is it ? Does it also need 12v ? Definitely not I'd say, since no laptop peripheral uses 12v and the label makes this clear since it says 5vDC. Perhaps there's another pin I need to feed 5v into as well to get it going. How do those ebay adapters work ? :| Any help would be great. Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Laptop Optical drive SATA power connector pinout ?

I managed to get this going, so you can close the thread if need be. After digging some more, I managed to find the pinout for the power connector (in spanish ). Turns out pin 1 is an "enable" pin which needs to be connected to 5v as well, and the pin I originally soldered the wire to was completely wrong, as pins 2 and 3 are power, NOT pin 4 like I originally thought. What fooled me was the red wire of the connector in the picture which did not connect to the right pins on the plug end, so I don't know how it was intended to work in the first place....
    Wattevah...

Comment

Good work. There are also these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Slim...796013262.html or USB versions.

Comment

I use these to connect laptop optical drive to regular computer, ebay link

Comment

I know you can get pre-made stuff, but the whole point was to build it myself....which I did eventually
          Wattevah...

Comment

Not everyone has a junk box.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              Not everyone has a junk box.
              True, but I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to electronics
              Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
              X