Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recapped ASUS A8N-LA, working intermittently.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: recapped ASUS A8N-LA, working intermittently.

Would an ESR meter be able to find these shorted caps?

I'm thinking about getting the Bob Parker blue ESR meter and putting it together.

Comment

Yes but bear in mind the 'in circuit' testing doesn't always work due to parallel paths.
      - IOW: An ESR meter doesn't get you out of pulling caps to test them
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

I realize this thread in ancient, but tons of these ASUS A8N-LA (HP/Compaq Nagami-GL8E) boards are still in service...I'm working on one today.

Also, this is my "first reply posting" at Badcaps Forum to enable me to create my first "new thread", even though I've been lurking for years...so two birds, one stone...

The one thing that stood out to me was author stated all Chemi-con KZGs he replaced were 6.3V...my list of KZGs I'm going to replace is somewhat different, so maybe his board version had different values, but...

My board has:

16 @ 6.3V 1500 uF
        10 @ 6.3V 820 uF
        1 @ 16V 470 uF

All 8mm w/ 3.5mm lead spacing

So, it's the last one..could it be that he misread the can? Seems logical the solitary 470 uF in both our boards is connected to 12V (mine is next to the PCI-e x 16 slot -- so a relatively high power draw).

If so, wouldn't using a 470 uF 6.3V cap in place of a 16V unit possibly have been the cause of his board's instability?

Comment

That is, if he took the advice of replacing all the KZGs because, as noted, his photos show a bunch of Chemi-cons remaining on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone121 View Post
            I realize this thread in ancient, but tons of these ASUS A8N-LA (HP/Compaq Nagami-GL8E) boards are still in service...I'm working on one today.
            Ha! Good to hear old motherboards like that are still being used. I myself too haven't upgraded to the much newer stuff out there today. It's all Pentium 4 / Athlon 64 land here still .

So, it's the last one..could it be that he misread the can? Seems logical the solitary 470 uF in both our boards is connected to 12V (mine is next to the PCI-e x 16 slot -- so a relatively high power draw).
            Quite possibly.
            I think every motherboard I have seen uses one or two 16V caps by the PCI-E / PCI-E 16x slots for smoothing, so you are probably right.

If so, wouldn't using a 470 uF 6.3V cap in place of a 16V unit possibly have been the cause of his board's instability?
            Could be.
            Normally the caps that provide filtering on the 3.3V. 5V, and 12V rails for the PCI/PCI-E/AGP slots aren't that important... but I'm sure there are motherboard designs that could be an exception to this.

Comment

Can you get complete POST until hearing one beep ?
              Probably, you have the same case with my Asus A7S333....
              MOSFET and buck controller driver issue...
              I assume all the caps have been replaced.....

Comment

Caps on CPU Vcore ....

Comment

Originally posted by bianchi77 View Post
                  Can you get complete POST until hearing one beep ?
                  On older motherboards, one short beep typically means POST completed successfully.

Comment

Working...
                  X