My new CPU Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new CPU Cooler

A few days ago, my boss aquired a Dell Dimension PC (can't remember the model). The case was falling apart and the motherboard was faulty, so we decided to scavenge parts out of it. I got the CPU heatsink since there's no way of mounting it to a motherboard or a fan to it, or so I thought. I was able to use zip ties to hold everything together, so here it is.

btw, does anyone know whether top motor fans are any good, as I have at least 20 of them in my collection.
    Attached Files
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: My new CPU Cooler

I REALLY wouldn't use zip ties on a cooler - no springing to press the cooler onto the CPU.

Comment

I don't consider this a good idea...
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

fail. very bad idea. sounds like a good way to pan-fry a cpu.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

OK, will swap it back. I've been using it for the last month or so and the idle temp of my OC'd CPU is only about 40C or so (without either of the fans running). I thought it would be fine as long as you do them up tight enough

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I use these same dell coolers on my supermicro x6dal-g. Turns out the heatsink retention bracket for a socket 603/604 intel fits these coolers perfectly, and a 754/939/AM2/AM3 heatsink retention bracket fits the two little clips at either end perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
              fail. very bad idea. sounds like a good way to pan-fry a cpu.
              It's an Intel CPU. These don't fail when overheated like AMDs do. I've seen clips snap on coolers in other PCs and it only contacts it in one corner. The CPU was fine after replacing the cooler, the PC would just shut off about 5 secs after power on.

Comment

lol i wanted to see what would happen a while back to an old p4 1.something ghz dell if i threw it. it was kinda heavy, so i didnt throw it very far, (i took the hdd out though cuz i cant test it without the hdd), and so i threw it.
                i just looked at the pics of the exeriment. (i have them numbered)...
                throw 1: case damage, heatsink mounting clip bent, causing the pc to overheat and shut off eventually
                throw 2: more severe case damage, cd and floppy no longer good, case fan fell off mounts. pc still worked
                throw 3: it landed right in the psu area (upside down), psu fan shot, 56k pci modem came loose, heatsink more bent, very severe case damage
                stuck the hdd in, bootedup, it works

Comment

Hahaha zip ties. Yeah I'd use them only temporarilty with the system on its side. Maybe even have a 5 pound weight of some sort on top of the cooler. My buddy's recent custom rig has that case. Enormous beast but nice enough of room to work with. Routing of cables is paramount unless you like jungle vines. That cooler looks very useful, the base seems a bit too wide but other than that, looks very OC capable.

Comment

Almost like the Thermaltake Frio I use on my AMDx6

Comment

I still haven't swapped it back as it's doing the job quite well. It's quiet and it works, but I can get the CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 really cheap from work, so at some piont I'll get one of them.

Comment

Speaking of coolers the TT Frio is very tempting to me. I got my friend a Cooler Master Hyper N620. Its a damn good cooler for the price of $40. Has two fans from CM with rifle bearings which make 'em quiet. Theres a whine coming from them, but its drowned out by all the fans of the 1200 case.

Comment

My Frio is the best ive had air cooling wise, I am oc'd and the fans are not noticable in my office anyways, The laser printer is louder. the Frio keeps my AMD x6 cool as ice almost even when working with 3d layout designs.

Comment

I swapped it with a CM TX3. It's a bit better since it uses 92mm fans instead of 80mm. I replaced the original CoolerMaster fan with an identical pair of AVC fans I found in my collection and used the old temperature controllers. The cool thing is, though that the TX3 also came with an AM2/939 clip and the base of the old dell heatsink fits perfectly, so it should be fine for Socket AM2.

Comment

the stock fan isn't bad if you have pwm on the fan header. i have an identical cooler and I never used the second set of fan brackets... my case/mobo combo is built in a way that would make a second fan block the rear exhaust fan.
                              sigpic

Comment

It's not that it's a bad fan, but I would prefer to use the separate speed controller and save the PWM fan for a PC that will use it and the stock fan has a 4 pin connector which doesn't fit in the 3 pin socket on the controller. The reason I like using the separate controller over the one on the motherboard is because it turns the fans off. Then the CPU is cool, which is most of the time as the case has really good airflow.

Comment

at the lowest pwm setting on my rig with the cooler, it is virtually silent. your breathing is louder... but if you have no pwm, no point in using a pwm fan.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Mine does have PWM, but I like the fans being off as it means less dust build up.

Comment

i don't mind my fans being on as long as it is not too noisy... even the slightest bit of airflow will make your cooling so much more efficient.

before it died, my asus a8n32-sli's fan control would have the cpu fan off under minimal load. however, the threshold was low so running anything would turn the fan on (not very fast though).
                                      sigpic

Comment

Personally I hate the whirring of the fans turning on, off, on, off. It is a major pet peeve of mine with laptops. I'd rather have a quiet constant whoosh than silence, then loud fan, then silence, then loud fan. The cycle drives me nuts.

Luckily the new Sony lappy I got a few months back tends to leave the fan on running slowly most of the time. My old HP laptop did the on-off cycle nonstop. Irritated the crap out of me.

For my desktop I am running the stock Intel cooler on PWM (I lucked out and got a Nidec fan). It is very quiet. I have a Delta PSU with a 120mm Yate-Loon and it too is near silent. Then for exhaust I have a 120mm Cooler Master fan running on a regular 3-pin header. Temperature controlled by my motherboard, but it always just spins quietly and never revs up.

Couple that with a case that breathes very well (Antec Solo) and my system's cooling is just the way I like it: the fans are constantly running on low, never rev up, and everything stays nice and cool.
                                        Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 01-01-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X