Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Desktop Motherboards, Graphics Cards, and PC Peripherals
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
zunasthegreat

City & State: Europe
My Country: EU
Line Voltage: Li-On
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default junky Jetway P4MDPT board

Sorry for hijacking OP. Will the NCC PSA series 2.5V 680uf Solidcap work for the VRM area on a junky Jetway P4MDPT board ? Originals are "Evercom" 1500uf 6.3V and are crap, 16V Highside VRM has same Evercom 16V 1500uf that I'm gonna replace with some Nichicon HD series @ 2200uf.
zunasthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
momaka
master hoarder

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
Default Re: junky Jetway P4MDPT board

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunasthegreat View Post
Sorry for hijacking OP. Will the NCC PSA series 2.5V 680uf Solidcap work for the VRM area on a junky Jetway P4MDPT board ?
Looking at pictures of the board online... Most likely, I'd say the answer is YES.

Given how many caps it has around the CPU, converting it to all-polymer will still probably give good enough capacity on the CPU VRM low side. This can be important for older boards (and especially budget ones like PC Chips and ECS) that used relatively low VRM switching frequency. But your board's CPU VRM appears as relatively medium frequency design, so solid/poly caps should work OK.

That said, you don't have to go all solid or all wet electrolytic caps. You can mix and match too to get both higher capacitance and better ESR in the circuit. That's what I did with my Jetway N2PAP Lite, detailed here:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63041

In case of your board, you can probably do like 2/3b of the caps on the CPU VRM low side as polymers, and 1/3 or so wet electrolytic with high capacitance.

Also, as "junky" as this Jetway may appear, notice they used a through-hole socket for the CPU. That actually makes the board quite bullet-proof, especially when subjected to the horrible warping from the stock Intel heatsink mounting mechanism.

Last edited by momaka; 10-19-2020 at 03:14 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #3
zunasthegreat

City & State: Europe
My Country: EU
Line Voltage: Li-On

That jetway on the link looks so OP with proper caps. I'm awaiting some nichicon HD's to arrive so I'll consider mix and max like u said. Btw I still have around a Lelon-Modded Soltek P4 board that still goes strong from ~2012.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bcap1.jpg (1.42 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by zunasthegreat; 10-20-2020 at 05:35 AM..
zunasthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
momaka
master hoarder

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunasthegreat View Post
Btw I still have around a Lelon-Modded Soltek P4 board that still goes strong from ~2012.
Nice.
A lot of older boards didn't care as much about low-ESR caps (particularly early Pentium 4 boards and ones older than that.)

The arrangement of those caps look similar to an ECS P4VXASD2+ I have. That one came stock with OST RLX and all caps are still doing OK, despite the board abusing the VRM high-side caps with a ton of heat. Then again, that board doesn't care about low-ESR caps either. Its CPU VRM is one of those inefficient 2-phase designs, done with Schottky diodes as the free-wheeling devices and a KA7500 IC for PWM control (read; relatively slow switching frequency.) Oh, and the funniest part is that it uses the 5V rail to power the CPU instead of 12V. The board is quite good for abusing/testing the 5V rail on old PSUs.

Last edited by momaka; 10-21-2020 at 05:06 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote