Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

KZG's aside I think this is a software issue, do you have the latest BIOS?
    I would try XP 32bit, 64bit, Win7 32bit, 64bit
    In no particular order.

Also keep in mind several Windows OS have had issues during installation with more than 2/4GB of RAM, so might be useful to remove all sticks bar one during install and let it do all Windows updates then put them back in.

Also in systems like these the mapping of memory above 4GB is very important, there I can't help you with what is correct but trial and error usually solves it, or post what options you have and then I can give some recommendations.

What it basically comes down to is KISS, i.e. remove/disable anything the system does not need to POST, then try install, if it works enable/reinstall things one by one
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

There was an Xp x64 install on the RAID array which immediately BSOD'd... however, I don't know if it was working previosly or not as V3 wasn't stable.

The win 7 disc BSODed within seconds of a DVD boot attempt. BIOS would boot the disc, then a sec or two later, BSOD and hard reboot. Like something major was up. A RAM mapping issue would make sense but if it was working on 8gb ok, then I don't get why 16GB wouldn't. I may do a CMOS reset and start from scratch.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I saw this in the Board's manual:

There are three power connectors on your Thunder K8WE.
        The Thunder K8WE requires an EPS12V/SSI EEB 3.51 (24 pin + 8 pin) power
        supply to boot. TYAN recommends using a split plane power supply because of
        the amount of power the S2895 requires.
        You also have an option of using an SSI v3.51 workstation power supply. This
        is recommended when running both PCI Express slots
        Does that still apply if the GPU's have direct PSU connections?
        sigpic

Comment

i had a typo in the post about how i was running that board.. I had a PCIe 9400GT in the top PCIe slot, so that definately should work OK.. when you put two cards in SLI, i'm not sure if the PC will show a POST display on the second card..

I was running 8 pin CPU power and the 24 pin ATX connector, as the acbel 550W PSU had both of those.. I don't recall any other connectors on the motherboard itself though

Comment

as for your existing Win XP 64 bit install, that would probably BSOD no matter what, as you would probably have the wrong chipset drivers loaded, as i assume the last motherboard to boot that OS had a different chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by gg1978 View Post
              as for your existing Win XP 64 bit install, that would probably BSOD no matter what, as you would probably have the wrong chipset drivers loaded, as i assume the last motherboard to boot that OS had a different chipset.
              Very true.
              sigpic

Comment

if I remember off the top of my head, in MT86+ you hit C and then...2? I think
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Did you install sli bridge? If so remove it maybe it will work then?

Comment

Reseat the RAM. And your may need a VDIMM bump.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Windows xp 64bit is basically using the Windows 2003 kernel, so anything validated/certified for Windows 2003 64bit should run on Windows XP 64bit as well.

But I don't understand why you'd HAVE to use Windows XP... I basically had Windows 2000 on my home computer, then skipped straight to Windows 2003 Standard Edition and now I'm using Windows 7.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I still had a dedicated server in a datacenter with windows 2003 web 64bit and it was working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                        Did you install sli bridge? If so remove it maybe it will work then?
                        Tried it already, no dice.
                        sigpic

Comment

I still think the 3.3V rail on the PSU might be getting overloaded, those old high voltage ECC sticks use a lot of power, especially in memtest

Comment

I think I found the issue, kinda. It will run with 4gb or 8gb of ram, but with 16gb it doesn't get far. Memtesting all 16gb while I'm at work for an hour, I'll see what happens when I get back

As for the 3.3v issue- any psu suggestions?
                            sigpic

Comment

You could just open the power supply and measure the current taken out of 3.3v ...

If there's an inductor for the 3.3v rail (pi filter at the output) just desolder one of its legs and put the multimeter in series with the inductor.

With such a motherboard, I kinda doubt they're using 3.3v to power the ram - it makes more sense to just use 12v for everything, for better efficiency.

Comment

You're probably running an outdated bios if that much ram isn't supported, if at all.

Or check the configurations.

Comment

It has the latest BIOS, 1.06, 11/'08

Memtest failed like crazy around 42%... just a constant string of failed addresses when I got back from work.

So yeah, the RAM is hosed, at least one module.

Also, one of the HDD's died today. it was the one with 26 Bad sectors (or so it was the last time I checked). Won't show up at BIOS. tried different controller ports, the onboard SATA, and different power connections and SATA cables. Dead as a doornail.

Not sure if I'll replace the dead drive or stick with the 3 and call it good. As for the RAM, I'll see if I still have an ebay seller warranty on it. edit- no such luck. Looks Like I'm stuck at 8GB unless I justify $$$ for another 8gb. I may have mishandled a couple modules when I was seeing if a board could do ECC, so this one is on me. I hope 8GB is enough.

Any feedback on whether to replace what died or to do without?
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 07-26-2013, 06:28 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Get some isopropyl alcohol, dab an plain unscented paper handkerchief in it and rub the memory module contacts to clean them.

Get a piece of A4 paper, bend it two or three times then drag it between the pins in the memory slots to rub away some oxides. Inspect the modules to make sure each pin is in the proper position and can flex a bit when you insert the ram, to make good contact.

If you have time, test each module one at a time to see which one fails... well, one on each cpu.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                      It has the latest BIOS, 1.06, 11/'08

Memtest failed like crazy around 42%... just a constant string of failed addresses when I got back from work.

So yeah, the RAM is hosed, at least one module.

Also, one of the HDD's died today. it was the one with 26 Bad sectors (or so it was the last time I checked). Won't show up at BIOS. tried different controller ports, the onboard SATA, and different power connections and SATA cables. Dead as a doornail.

Not sure if I'll replace the dead drive or stick with the 3 and call it good. As for the RAM, I'll see if I still have an ebay seller warranty on it. edit- no such luck. Looks Like I'm stuck at 8GB unless I justify $$$ for another 8gb. I may have mishandled a couple modules when I was seeing if a board could do ECC, so this one is on me. I hope 8GB is enough.

Any feedback on whether to replace what died or to do without?

I have a couple of ECC modules, I can send them to you if you want since I'm pretty sure I'm not making much of use of them.

I *think* have them around somewhere, they're 2gb sticks, I think.

Comment

Wait, mine is DDR2 PC2-3200 (IBM)

There's 2 2GB sticks, for a total of 4GBs.

Your machine uses ancient DDR, no?

Comment

It uses PC3200 ECC DDR1. I know, old and freaky, but it works and is low cost.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X