Which nVidia mobo chipsets are bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which nVidia mobo chipsets are bad?

I know the bad graphics chips but which mobo chipsets are bad?
    .... and why?

Looking mostly for the ones where the chipset itself separates internally but the ones the that separate from the mobo would be good to know too.

Tried researching myself but I just got confused.

Thanks.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Re: Which nVidia mobo chipsets are bad?

I think most of the evidence there has been anecdotal. I don't think it was ever admitted that there was an issue. Then again, it's the same story with the GPUs. Only the G84 and G86 are officially bad, but there are many stories of failures from G7x and G9x GPUs as well.

All I can say is that I've built maybe 10 or so Nforce 430 based systems, and only one of them died. That was bad OST caps. Replacing the caps didn't bring it back to life. I don't know if that suggests anything as far as chipset reliability goes...it's a small sample size too...

Comment

LOL!
      - What manufacturers will admit about their own products doesn't say much.
      Asus has NEVER [to this day] admitted there was a capacitor plague of any kind or that HM and HN [which they did use] were bad.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Chipsets with onboard GPUs are known to fail. Especially ones with 6150 series.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
          Chipsets with onboard GPUs are known to fail. Especially ones with 6150 series.
          There in lies another part of my problem.
          I'm not familiar with nVidia naming conventions for chipsets.

I'll look on my own too, but does the '6150 series' have other names?

-

- Dr Seuss
          -
          -

Comment

NV44 refers only to the graphics part of the chipset or the whole chipset?

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

i personally doubt that any chipsets have failed like the the graphic chips.

why? heat! a gpu puts out so much heat that ROHS issues come into play. i doubt a properly cooled chipset would do the same.

exception goes to overclocking, but that is a know risk of OC'ing...
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yes they do get hot. I have an ASUS P5N73-AM motherboard sitting around somewhere. I put a fan over the heatsink as otherwise, it gets too hot to touch within a couple of minutes after being powered on
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Whatever is in the HP DV6000 is what fails. Lots of mainly laptop boards, very few desktop. Many cases of bad caps taking out desktop chipsets and making the board unrevivable.

Comment

An issue I've had with nForce 4 based boards (Nforce 4, or 5xx) is that the SATA controller is unstable. If you take a large file (2 or more GB) and make a copy of it, then run something like md5sum or sha1sum on both the original and the copy, they won't be identical. I don't know if it was that way from the factory or developed later, but I've seen multiple examples of it. On other boards this does not happen.

I sure am glad AMD makes their own chipsets now.
                    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Ya I have 2 DV9000's and a DV2000 to fix this week, due to nvidia 6100 Chipsets. I also find that a lot of the Gateway FX Series Motherboards that have AMD processors and nvidia GPU's go bad. Most of the time they can be reflowed, and then you just have to make sure you keep them cool.

Comment

Very simple...

nForce chipsets...

Anything over nForce 4 is defective.
                        For video cards, GeForce "FX" is good, but anything between FX and G84/G86 is not. Now what might be confusing you is that the GeForce 9xxx series of videocards have some models which are based on G8x and some which are reliable that are a later designed chip where the defect was corrected.

ALL nVidia chips, especially those with the defective chip substrate are prone to solder fracture because they produce more heat when they start failing.

ALL videocards which are RoHS are suspect for BGA solder fracture, and that's 100% of everything after Geforce FX for nVidia, and anything Radeon 2xxx and over for ATI.

If you need the videocard for mission critical applications, you should have it reballed with leaded solder. Don't pay more than $75-$150.
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by dobber View Post
                          Ya I have 2 DV9000's and a DV2000 to fix this week, due to nvidia 6100 Chipsets. I also find that a lot of the Gateway FX Series Motherboards that have AMD processors and nvidia GPU's go bad. Most of the time they can be reflowed, and then you just have to make sure you keep them cool.
                          And here I thought Gateway had packed their bags and headed back to the Cow patties.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

NV44 refers only to the graphics part of the chipset or the whole chipset?

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                              ALL nVidia chips, especially those with the defective chip substrate are prone to solder fracture because they produce more heat when they start failing.
                              I guess that's what I'm trying to ask.
                              -
                              Do any of the nVidia mobo chipsets have the defective chip substrate?

If you need the videocard for mission critical applications, you should have it reballed with leaded solder. Don't pay more than $75-$150.
                              I wouldn't pay $75. [Or even $25.]
                              - I'd just replace the whole thing with an Intel chipset mobo.
                              Anything 'mission critical' around here is glorified office work or could be done in MS Paint.
                              - Not video intensive at all.
                              I just use the on-board from an Intel chipset for those.

The RoHS issue makes sense to me too but I was asking [or trying to] specifically about the substrate problem on desktop mobo chips.

I asked the question help me determine which bad cap nVidia boards in my ever filling 'recap later' box [which is now 4 boxes] are worth doing at all. I've been trying to avoid nVidia chipset boards but there's always a few coming my way when I buy things in mixed lots or take trade-ins.
                              Boxes are needing emptied.
                              Time to learn some new tricks so to speak.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by dobber View Post
                                I also find that a lot of the Gateway FX Series Motherboards that have AMD processors and nvidia GPU's go bad. Most of the time they can be reflowed, and then you just have to make sure you keep them cool.
                                Are these GPU's on-board and if so which specific chipsets?

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by acstech View Post
                                  An issue I've had with nForce 4 based boards (Nforce 4, or 5xx) is that the SATA controller is unstable. If you take a large file (2 or more GB) and make a copy of it, then run something like md5sum or sha1sum on both the original and the copy, they won't be identical. I don't know if it was that way from the factory or developed later, but I've seen multiple examples of it. On other boards this does not happen.

I sure am glad AMD makes their own chipsets now.
                                  Good to know.
                                  I won't [never did] be keeping any nVidia chipset boards for my own use.
                                  I just never trusted them.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

I asked the question help me determine which bad cap nVidia boards in my ever filling 'recap later' box [which is now 4 boxes] are worth doing at all.
                                    Only nForce 4. None of their videocards besides some Geforce 9xxx and later are worth recapping.

Some have had success reflowing earlier models in the oven, but these cards will ultimately fail from catastrophic IC failure eventually.

Radeons are always worth reflowing because they do not suffer from this problem. In fact, I'm going to reflow a 2900XT soon.

An issue I've had with nForce 4 based boards (Nforce 4, or 5xx) is that the SATA controller is unstable. If you take a large file (2 or more GB) and make a copy of it, then run something like md5sum or sha1sum on both the original and the copy, they won't be identical.
                                    That's because you don't have the right drivers. nForce 4 is solid, except for the LAN when you have the hardware-based firewall enabled. This was known to cause crashing.
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Only nForce 4.
                                      Only nForce 4 which?.
                                      Keep or toss?

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Keep. Though I would scavenge parts from the other ones. Scavenge the good caps they come with. Sometimes I desolder the coils when I'm bored and add it to my copper collection.

Comment

Working...
                                        X