Dell 1800MP projector - bad OST Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 1800MP projector - bad OST Cap

I'm working on a Dell 1800MP projector with a bulging cap in the power supply. The lamp error LED comes on for a second, then the blue power light flashes constantly. The fan won't even turn on. This appears to be a common failure in these projectors.

The bulging cap is an OST RLS 10V 3300uF (12.5mm diameter, 20mm height). Rated for 105 degrees Celsius. O663 is also printed on the sleeve.

There are also a few Ltec caps that are not showing any signs of problems. One has "6908D" and 680uF printed on the sleeve, and I can't see the printing on the others without removing them (they are all small in comparison to the OST). Are these worth bothering with?

There are also a few UCC caps that I won't worry about.

There appears to be enough room for a taller cap, but I would like to find one closer to the current one.

So far, this is the cap I am looking at: https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=56

Does anyone have any other suggestions for different brands or something a little closer to the current cap as far as size goes?

Thanks!

Re: Dell 1800MP projector - bad OST Cap

That will not do. Ripple spec exceeds RLS but ESR is too high.

This should do just fine:
    Panasonic 10V 3300uF "FM" 12.5 x 25mm

Note the difference in height. Make sure it can take the extra 5mm. You will probably need Panasonic FR to get a 12.5 x 20mm.

The Ltec caps should be replaced and the UCC caps might be OK depending on which series they are.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Interesting. We have 5 Dell projectors here, all getting long in the tooth. I'll keep that in mind should one fail.
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Just ran across one of these at our school, lots of dicussion in Dell's forums. Imagine you are the school that bought 150 of these units and they are ALL failing. So, yeah, I'll try a recap.

Comment

We have the same problem, we can fix it but are having trouble getting the top off of the projector. Any tips on doing this would be great

Comment

For future references; you must remove the VGA-A(in) nuts to remove the top.

Comment

this is an update to the Dell 1800mp cap replacement I did 6 years ago.
              I replaced the Ost 10v-3300uF Cap with a Panasonic 10v-3300uF FM series and all went well; the projector was up and running for the last 6 yrs but now it's down again with the Panasonic cap failed.

alongside the Panasonic cap is a Ltec 25v-680uF that has failed so I'm going to replace all the caps around the 10v-3300uF so maybe we'll get a little more than 6 more yrs out of it or we've stopped using it by then.

I'm updating / adding this for anyone else who may be just replacing the Ots 10v-3300uF cap as a quick(temp) fix.

Comment

Projectors are usually running quite hot with little cooling so the cap is likely under lot of stress.

Use Chemi-Con KZN this time, you can get 3900uF/10V cap in the same size as the old FM series. It it rated 10000 hours (instead of 7000).
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                X