Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old, but new.

Originally posted by linuxguru
    > I have hard time in finding really short drives (the mobo is an Eatx one and it's quite large: normal lenght drives are blocked by the board).

Check out LG DVD+/-RW drives - they're shorter than average. Some Liteon and Sony CDROM drives are also very short (I'm referring to the longest dimension).
    I also tend to notice that Pioneer DVDRW drives are also short in size and tend to fit small cases very well when there is a need for more room.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by zandrax
      Yours laks the trackstick too, that's a pity.
      Is the trackstick the knob looking thing in the middle of the keyboard that acts as a mouse? I have something like that in the middle of the Inspiron 4000 keyboard except I think the top part of the stick is broken, but albeit to that, the 1mm stump part can still be moved and works except it's very hard to use since it's very short now.

Thanks.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Um.... I dunno where I should put this but here goes....

My Inspiron 4000 has this teeny weeny fan in the back which I think is used to cool the chipset and motherboard. It's about 1 inch in size and for some reason i've never seen it actually work. The larger CPU fan on the other hand works fine.
        Now I've done burn in after burn in for a few days now and my laptop is always stable and never crashes.... this laptop is also my school buddy and is on for about 6-7 hours a day.
        Please note it is summer here in Australia as well so it is quite warm environment wise.... but I never get a BSOD or random shutdown. I can't find an actual replacement fan (albeit to that i don't even know how to replace it). Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

Comment

C600 used a small fan but later revision had teeny tiny fan removed due to noise and improved heatsink design. I performed the board replacement because original early board was dud.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I took the whole thing apart (again) and oiled up that teeny weeny 1 inch or so fan that is supposed to cool the motherboard and I still don't see it run at all. CPU fan on the other hand runs when hot.
            I even ran a days worth of burn in testing where the CPU fan ran for almost the whole time, but the little motherboard fan did not run at all, yet under these conditions the laptop still performed well. The little 1 inch fan is a Sunon fan so I don't think it's dead, but maybe something that turns it on within the motherboard has issues maybe?

Thanks.

Comment

Interesting.
              You oiled up that 1 inch teeny weeny.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Hi Stevo.
                I can see that this thread is old but I have something to add here anyway. Yes I'm in the USA but I do have some things I could ship to you for that laptop if they will fit it. I have the Dell Latitude C640 Laptop. Mine looks to be exactly like yours except my palm rest is a little different but has all the same functions as you do. Yes that little nub in the keyboard is the track stick too. You can find a replacement rubber cover for it at most any PC shop. I think Dell sells them in little baggies in lots of five or ten. My DVD CD drive is sick just like yours is. Mine has real problems with CD's but will still read DVD's fine. One of the guys on here sent me a "new" used DVD/CD drive that worked perfect on all media types and I busted it. Didn't have it all the way pushed into the Lappy and it shorted and died. Well here is what I have:
                1 DVD/CD caddy with all plastics, cables, and circuits complete. The busted
                drive is still in it too.
                1 Floppy drive caddy with all plastics, cables, and circuits complete. Some
                parts fell out of the drive. The same guy sent me a replacement for
                this too. The dead drive is still in it.
                1 internal 56k modem from a Toshiba Lappy. It works fine and I have the
                drivers for it here somewhere too. That same person sent me this.
                I use 10/100 NIC now to use the net. I also have a good PIMCIA
                modem card in the unit for travel.
                Oh the best part is that this guy sent me all this stuff free of charge. Maybe he will see your post and offer some help to you also if he is still sitting on some of these old Dell parts. Let me know if you need any of this stuff, and we will figure out how to ship it to OZ Mate.
                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                  Interesting.
                  You oiled up that 1 inch teeny weeny.
                  ROFLOL!

Comment

stevo- I wouldn't worry about the 1" fan in the back. It doesn't benefit the system that I've ever seen. These laptops will naturally get hot on the bottom, with no ill effects.

I've got a lot of experience with the Latitude "c" series, as I support them as my main job... and I was able to send some stuff down to Junk Parts at one time, but things are breaking now on our (5 year old) c640's - so I need to keep as good of a stock as I can.
                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

@Junk: Yeah um. Looks like I'm not the only one with a sick DVD drive. At the moment I'm actually looking for some 256MB RAM at the moment.... the guy at the local computer store wants $45 or so for a stick so I'm hesitating about that. Just a question to ask but are the hinges on your system a tad weak? The hinges on mine are a bit weak in my opinion.... the screen falls down if I put it at angles more than 45 degrees.

@PCBONEZ: Oh dear I didn't actually take notice of what I was typing.... what I wrote sounds a bit concerning now that I've re-read it....

@dood: If that's the case then I suppose I won't worry too much about the 1" fan in the back of the laptop. I thought that was the graphics card + chipset cooler because both of those items are right where the fan was, but then again, those items seem to be attached to the large aluminum cover up above for heat dissipation.

Thanks.

Comment

Just to add....

I think I have a motive to why the laptop was sold to me for $20. As I stated above, I opened the whole unit up into bits and pieces.... I was shocked to find residues of what seemed to look like coke and some green mold around the right speaker. I managed to clean all that out with some water and a toothbrush. But then again the whole unit works so I won't complain.

Comment

The hinges on mine are perfectly tight and the unit looks as if almost new. Keep in mind that I paid a whole $40.00 USD for mine, and I still need $150.00 in parts to make it right...LOL
                          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                          Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                            The hinges on mine are perfectly tight and the unit looks as if almost new. Keep in mind that I paid a whole $40.00 USD for mine, and I still need $150.00 in parts to make it right...LOL
                            Same here. I probably need another $100+ to make mine "right".

Comment

I'm sure you can find a complete c640 on ebay for $200... seems a waste to put a bunch of money into an old laptop.
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood
                                I'm sure you can find a complete c640 on ebay for $200... seems a waste to put a bunch of money into an old laptop.
                                That's why I'm hesitant on upgrading my Inspiron 4000.... seems like putting money into a sinking ship really.

I have an Inspiron E1505/6400 which I have stashed away as a spare. I bought that one fore $1100 a year and a bit ago then got too protective of it and stashed it in a cupboard for safe keeping and bought cheapo laptops to use in case I destroy the E1505.

I think I'd better start using the E1505.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X