MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine)

I have one of these mother boards in an HP Pavilion p7-1400. I have issues with windows having a Bad_Pool_Caller. However the motherboard seems to have hardware issues.
    It does not see the DVD drive nor does it boot from a Knopptix live DVD. When I attempted to run a full system restore the computer states something along the line of hard drive is locked. I tried to use a USB DVD drive as a boot device without success.
    I've removed all peripherals to no effect. Swapping the memory did nothing either. Clearing the BIOS with the jumper had no effect. I did check the power supply and the voltages look ok.
    The only remaining step I have not performed is a power supply swap.
    Have there been any issues with these? Haven't found anything online.

Re: MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine)

Originally posted by eitrepair View Post
    I have one of these mother boards in an HP Pavilion p7-1400. I have issues with windows having a Bad_Pool_Caller. However the motherboard seems to have hardware issues.
    It does not see the DVD drive nor does it boot from a Knopptix live DVD. When I attempted to run a full system restore the computer states something along the line of hard drive is locked.
    Sounds like the HDD may have a bad board. (bad PCB)
    Good luck with the HDD being usable again, if true!

There's a chance that the HDD requires a board swap.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-17-2014, 05:10 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
      Sounds like the HDD may have a bad board. (bad PCB)
      Good luck with the HDD being usable again, if true!

There's a chance that the HDD requires a board swap.
      Wrong. The PC won't boot from a DVD either, and it looks like the HDD is detected and at least partially readable. Definitely not a bad HDD controller board.

IMO, the issue is more likely to be with the motherboard.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        Wrong. The PC won't boot from a DVD either, and it looks like the HDD is detected and at least partially readable. Definitely not a bad HDD controller board.

IMO, the issue is more likely to be with the motherboard.
        It may indeed be a bad onboard ATA controller or southbridge, like on an early Pentium motherboard I tried to get going one time...

Only mentioned the HDD, because I had an issue where MHDD didn't detect squat for problems, but the Windows installer will error out or it will appear that it can make it, but on reboot, the Windows loader gives an error.
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

^
          On the motherboard, maybe, but it's definitely not the HDD itself. If the PC won't boot from a DVD disc (ie. a completely different drive), it's not the HDD at fault.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I'm planning to try another power supply and then suspect the motherboard. I need to test the DVD drive and HDD on another computer (including their cables).

Comment

I just had to replace the optical drive on the eMachines T3516A, because it would do its thing, but then the BIOS goes back to the message telling me to insert a boot disk.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Honestly I think there's about a 99% chance it's the DVD drive gone bad, at least for that part of the problem anyway. I very rarely ever see the motherboard's controller go bad in such a way that gives that symptom.
                Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

Working...
                X