HP/Compaq D530 SFF desktop - no POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP/Compaq D530 SFF desktop - no POST

About two years ago, I went dumpster diving and came back with two identical HP/Compaq D530 SFF desktops, of which one does not work (I also came home with an IBM Thinkcentre 8191KMQ from the same place, which works fine).

The first one has a good PSU and caps, when you power it up, it flashes the keyboard LEDs like normal, spins the fans but won't turn on the monitor or start its POST. This machine also knows when the RAM or CPU is removed by beeping and flashing a red LED, so it at least knows they are OK.

The second one had a fried PSU which also took out two Rubycon MCZ caps around the VRM (the caps around the CPU are a mixture of MCZ and Sanyo OS-CONs, and two two failed MCZs are right next to the 4-pin "P4" connector, which is really "P6"), but it still boots with the other PSU installed.

Sadly, the working board this is the "cheaper" of the two as such, as the board is populated with small Teapo SC caps whereas the non-working board is nearly all Rubycon with only two large 1500/6.3 Teapo SZ caps (ironically, on the cheaper, working board, these are Nichicon HM, but being that they're from 2003 they are of dubious quality, although they have not failed in this case). On the non-working board, it has Panasonic caps and purple SEPC (purple print) polys around the VRM and Rubycon YXGs around the PCI slots and elsewhere. The tiny caps are mostly G-Luxon and Teapo on both boards however.

I am using a known-good 512MB DDR400 stick, which runs at 333 on the working machine as it doesn't support 400, so it isn't a RAM issue. The CPU also works in the "good" system.

Additionally, I accidentally broke one of the delrin CPU fan spring mounts after swapping the CPU, so I had to cannibalize the other board to get the other one to run without overheating (the alternative being to shove my hand on the fan itself to force it down, which being that it's a centrifugal type, it doesn't involve the possibility of a fingers-versus-blades accident).

As the other board still boots without even a CMOS battery installed, I am stumped to why the other one won't boot.

Re: HP/Compaq D530 SFF desktop - no POST

Update, the southbridge was fried, the chip gets ridiculously hot as soon as you put power to it (even in standby), although there are no visible burn marks or holes (and no sparks, smell or magic smoke either).

This board was an Asus P4SD, model code was hidden underneath an HP sticker (date code 1604; week 16 2004).

This board is now history, all I have left of it are a bunch of caps and a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 CPU with heat sink/fan (and the northbridge heat sink to go with it).

Comment

Re: HP/Compaq D530 SFF desktop - no POST

south-bridge fried + ASUS ...

Yes one shorted USB memory stick it can damage south-bridge for good.
      Back then ASUS was very helpful about offering refurbished replacement motherboards as long you were covered by warranty.
      It did happened even to me with a P4P-800-E deluxe which had 5 years warranty and the ASUS partner in Greece helped me too with a refurbished board.

I also rescued recently one D530, after replacing bad caps it is now in great condition.
      There is a latest BIOS for them which corrects the behavior of the CPU fan, and cure the overheat problem of the caps around the CPU base.

Comment

Working...
      X