hair straightener Soldering hotplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hair straightener Soldering hotplate

I am sure they are sandwich tightly once the whole assembly is completed as the whole unit.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I might have a product that might work I am in touch with a vendor on Alibaba.com
      I going to buy one and try it out and if the concept works I will make a post about how to buy one for you to make your own

I am have one modified for a thermo well so you can control the temperature

I going to use the controller of a ZD-915 and the temperature sensor from a soldering iron to control heater in the plate heater

The only problem is that the ones that this vendor has that is not very expensive is the 220 volt Cast aluminum heater plate version it is doable around $55.00 for the heater plate and the shipping the slow way

I will try this 220 volt version on 110 volts and see if I can live with the results

If the concept works I going to have a 110 volt version made depending on how much it cost

The PTC heater version ( Cast aluminum PTC heater version ) is about $200.00 I do not think I going this route plus the shipping cost would make it very expensive

I will let you know when I get this item and if I can get it to work

I might even do a You Tube video and show how it works

I am doing this project because I need to have a heater plate for LED Light Strips and when I have multi layer boards are very hard to Desoldier the parts I have a setup that works but it is not very easy to use and very time consuming to use
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-22-2019, 08:45 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Good idea, I hope you can achieve it quickly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        PTC ceramic elements: PTC ceramic material is named for its positive thermal coefficient of resistance (i.e., resistance increases upon heating). While most ceramics have a negative coefficient, these materials (often barium titanate and lead titanate composites) have a highly nonlinear thermal response, so that above a composition-dependent threshold temperature their resistance increases rapidly. This behavior causes the material to act as its own thermostat, since current passes when it is cool, and does not when it is hot. Thin films of this material are used in automotive rear-window defrost heaters, and honeycomb-shaped elements are used in more expensive hair dryers and space heaters.

A self-regulating heater is an electrical heater which strives to keep a constant temperature regardless of how the ambient conditions changes. It is the material in the heater itself that regulates the temperature. The heater requires no regulating electronics, temperature sensors, overheat protection etc. The temperature the heater will hold is decided when the material and the heater is produced. It can be fine tuned by changing the voltage to the heater. Self-regulating heaters are made from materials with strong Positive temperature coefficient (PTC) characteristics, i.e. the resistivity of the material increases rapidly with increasing temperature. Such materials include ceramic PTC stones. and PTC rubber.

A ceramic PTC heater is made of small ceramic pieces pressed between two metal plates. The constraint compartment causes them to get a strong PTC effect. The typical temperature of ceramic stones is 140–250 °C (284–482 °F). Ceramic stones actually have Negative temperature coefficient (NTC) properties at low temperatures which makes them slow to heat up.

When a voltage is applied to a PTC heater electrical current flows through the material and the resistivity of the material causes it to heat up (P(T)=U∧2÷R(T)). As it heats up the resistivity increases rapidly and the power (heat) produced decreases. At the same time heat is being transferred from the heater to the object it is attached to, and its surrounding. Eventually the amount of heat produced is in equilibrium with the amount of heat conducted and radiated away from the heater. The heater reaches its equilibrium temperature and remains there. The exponential PTC properties of the material assures that the equilibrium temperature is virtually insensitive to changes in the ambient temperatures.

PTC (positive temperature coefficient)
        Most PTC thermistors are made from doped polycrystalline ceramic (containing barium titanate (BaTiO3) and other compounds) which have the property that their resistance rises suddenly at a certain critical temperature. Barium titanate is ferroelectric and its dielectric constant varies with temperature. Below the Curie point temperature, the high dielectric constant prevents the formation of potential barriers between the crystal grains, leading to a low resistance. In this region the device has a small negative temperature coefficient. At the Curie point temperature, the dielectric constant drops sufficiently to allow the formation of potential barriers at the grain boundaries, and the resistance increases sharply with temperature. At even higher temperatures, the material reverts to NTC behaviour.
        Another type of thermistor is a silistor, a thermally sensitive silicon resistor. Silistors employ silicon as the semiconductive component material. Unlike ceramic PTC thermistors, silistors have an almost linear resistance-temperature characteristic.
        Barium titanate thermistors can be used as self-controlled heaters; for a given voltage, the ceramic will heat to a certain temperature, but the power used will depend on the heat loss from the ceramic.
        The dynamics of PTC thermistors being powered also is extremely useful. When first connected to a voltage source, a large current corresponding to the low, cold, resistance flows, but as the thermistor self-heats, the current is reduced until a limiting current (and corresponding peak device temperature) is reached. The current-limiting effect can replace fuses. In the degaussing circuits of many CRT monitors and televisions an appropriately chosen thermistor is connected in series with the degaussing coil. This results in a smooth current decrease for an improved degaussing effect. Some of these degaussing circuits have auxiliary heating elements to heat the thermistor (and reduce the resulting current) further.
        Another type of PTC thermistor is the polymer PTC, which is sold under brand names such as "Polyswitch" "Semifuse", and "Multifuse". This consists of plastic with carbon grains embedded in it. When the plastic is cool, the carbon grains are all in contact with each other, forming a conductive path through the device. When the plastic heats up, it expands, forcing the carbon grains apart, and causing the resistance of the device to rise, which then causes increased heating and rapid resistance increase. Like the BaTiO3 thermistor, this device has a highly nonlinear resistance/temperature response useful for thermal or circuit control, not for temperature measurement. Besides circuit elements used to limit current, self-limiting heaters can be made in the form of wires or strips, useful for heat tracing. PTC thermistors 'latch' into a hot / high resistance state: once hot, they stay in that high resistance state, until cooled. The effect can be used as a primitive latch/memory circuit, the effect being enhanced by using two PTC thermistors in series, with one thermistor cool, and the other thermistor hot.
        The IEC standard symbol for a PTC thermistor includes a "+t°" under the rectangle.

PTC
        As current-limiting devices for circuit protection, as replacements for fuses. Current through the device causes a small amount of resistive heating. If the current is large enough to generate more heat than the device can lose to its surroundings, the device heats up, causing its resistance to increase. This creates a self-reinforcing effect that drives the resistance upwards, therefore limiting the current.

As timers in the degaussing coil circuit of most CRT displays. When the display unit is initially switched on, current flows through the thermistor and degaussing coil. The coil and thermistor are intentionally sized so that the current flow will heat the thermistor to the point that the degaussing coil shuts off in under a second. For effective degaussing, it is necessary that the magnitude of the alternating magnetic field produced by the degaussing coil decreases smoothly and continuously, rather than sharply switching off or decreasing in steps; the PTC thermistor accomplishes this naturally as it heats up. A degaussing circuit using a PTC thermistor is simple, reliable (for its simplicity), and inexpensive.

As heater in automotive industry to provide additional heat inside cabin with diesel engine or to heat diesel in cold climatic conditions before engine injection.

In temperature compensated synthesizer voltage controlled oscillators.

In lithium battery protection circuits.

In an electrically actuated Wax motor to provide the heat necessary to expand the wax.

Many electric motors and dry type power transformers incorporate PTC thermistors in their windings. When used in conjunction with a monitoring relay they provide overtemperature protection to prevent insulation damage. The equipment manufacturer selects a thermistor with a highly non-linear response curve where resistance increases dramatically at the maximum allowable winding temperature, causing the relay to operate. (wiki)
        Last edited by capwizard; 04-22-2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

The type that requires a temperature controller is a heater wire which is the type that I going get to try out from what the vendor says the heater wire is in a metal tubing now I hope that insulation protection voltage leaking quality is very high this is something I going to ask about
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            The type that requires a temperature controller is a heater wire which is the type that I going get to try out from what the vendor says the heater wire is in a metal tubing now I hope that insulation protection voltage leaking quality is very high this is something I going to ask about
            Building something similar to this ? https://mightyohm.com/blog/2009/01/d...ring-hotplate/

I was building something similar until I found the element I suspect ShopJimmy are using in their LED remover.

I don't know what LED strips you are struggling with but I can remove LEDs from FR4 and solid aluminium strips with ease. No scorching or solder mask burn or bubbling.

Comment

I thought Sam tried to make A auto temperature control scuba diving suit for the Arctic.

The Interesting World of Flexible Printed Heaters
              https://butlertechnologies.com/what-...inted-heaters/

https://youtu.be/jQ1L-fv_3N8

Thermalution Compact Dive Power Heated Thermal Vest
              https://youtu.be/ZyiUR_gfqJM

------------------------------------------------------
              PTC or Positive Temperature Coefficient h, waters are well known for their safe, ty, elasticity, flexibility and ease of use, and are common in garments and wearables. PTC heaters work wonderfully by producing safe and comfortable low heat. PTarbons work by acting an electrical resistance and heat up when current is applied.
              A screen-printed PTC heater utilizes a silver BUS system with self-regulating carbon tiles. This means that the printed heater is capable of regulating its temperature without any outside controls. When power is applied, the resistance increases and limits the electrical current to the heater causing it to cool. As the heater cools, electrical current will increase again causing it to reach its operating temperature, thus self-regulating. This creates a safe and efficient warming element which eliminates the risk of overheating. Flexible Printed PTC heaters provide uniform heat with no hot spots, require less power to operate and are safer to use due to their cold-state failure mode. This is what makes this type of flexible printed heater so ideal for clothing.
              The PTC Heaters can be printed on flexible material such as DuPont Intexar TPU.
              Last edited by capwizard; 04-23-2019, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
                I thought Sam tried to make A auto temperature control scuba diving suit for the Arctic.
                Real funny 😄
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I try to do is implant PTC inside the body nearby heart which is like an artificial cardiac pacemaker, powered by the nervous system that produces electricity so you can swim in the Arctica naked and People all over the world don't need to wear clothes.

Comment

Did it work
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Sure, Why not!
                      ------------------------------------
                      SONY US18650 VTC5 3.7V 2500mAh RECHARGEABLE BATTERY 30A HIGH DRAIN BATTERY..........Sony 18650 batteries use PTC as a protection circuit.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sure, Why not!
                        ------------------------------------
                        SONY US18650 VTC5 3.7V 2500mAh RECHARGEABLE BATTERY 30A HIGH DRAIN BATTERY..........Sony 18650 batteries use PTC as a protection circuit.
                        I have not been very impressed with there 18650 batteries to many have there protection button activated and batteries stop working
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

.....18650 batteries to many have there protection button activated and batteries stop working.....

That's why, Sony uses both CID and PTC on 18650 which will automatically reset itself.

Resettable fuse a polymeric positive temperature coefficient (PPTC)
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

Battery Safety 101: Anatomy - PTC vs PCB vs CID
                          https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...-vs-pcb-vs-cid

my friend! PTC is good for inrush current limiter and inrush limited current is good for
                          single purpose metal welding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          PTC Thermistors For Inrush Current Limiting
                          https://www.ametherm.com/inrush-curr...rrent-limiting

PTC Inrush Current Limiters
                          https://product.tdk.com/info/en/prod...ter/index.html

Calculate Inrush Current in Three Steps
                          https://www.ametherm.com/blog/inrush...nt-three-steps
                          Last edited by capwizard; 04-23-2019, 08:41 PM.

Comment

.....18650 batteries to many have there protection button activated and batteries stop working.....

That's why, Sony uses both CID and PTC on 18650 which will automatically reset itself.

Resettable fuse a polymeric positive temperature coefficient (PPTC)
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

Battery Safety 101: Anatomy - PTC vs PCB vs CID
                            https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...-vs-pcb-vs-cid

my friend! PTC is good for inrush current limiter and inrush limited current is good for
                            single purpose metal welding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            PTC Thermistors For Inrush Current Limiting
                            https://www.ametherm.com/inrush-curr...rrent-limiting

PTC Inrush Current Limiters
                            https://product.tdk.com/info/en/prod...ter/index.html

Calculate Inrush Current in Three Steps
                            https://www.ametherm.com/blog/inrush...nt-three-steps
                            The CID are what trips in these batteries that I bought 75% are tripped if you reset them manually then sometimes you can use the battery again
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                            X