Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connected cap inverted,could that damage the other capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connected cap inverted,could that damage the other capacitors?

I've wrongly connected 3 capacitors with the polarity inverted on my Xbox 360,it was not turning on,and after a few tries one blew up,I touched it and it was pretty hot,the other two were not.I then went and checked the polarity and I've saw that I connected all 3 inverted.Not important now,but the reason I did that was because there was a + near a circle to connect the capacitor,and that made me thought the positive hole was near that +,but that + was for another circle,and I used this to assume that the white portion of the circle was the positive side,but it was the negative.
    So,the main point of the thread,besides obviously damaging the capacitors I connected inverted,could this in any way damage the other capacitors?After removing all 3 capacitors the xbox turn on without them,of course I will not use it like that,but at least I know it did not do any damage to board itself,but about the others capacitors I can't be sure.

Re: Connected cap inverted,could that damage the other capacitors?

Maybe but probably not.
    More likely to damage something 'not a capacitor' than other capacitors.

What happens with polarized caps in backwards is the oxide layer that makes up the dielectric is stripped away. It's the dielectric that makes caps resist DC current flow. When it's gone the cap is to DC current a short circuit instead of an open.

Easiest way to know if it's broke is to put some caps in right this time and see if it still works.
    Odds are it will be okay but there's no guarantee.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

As I said on the end of the post I tried booting it without this capacitors and it booted fine,but I also hearded that the xbox will boot without a single capacitor and will just have artifacts on the screen,so I still can't be sure some nearby capacitor was damaged by the mistake of connecting these ones in reverse.
      I guess nothing happened with the other capacitors,but I just wanted to make sure,if anyone can confirm that I then can be relieved
      Last edited by GamerBR; 03-10-2009, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I just did.
        It's not the other caps you need to worry about.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

As PCBONEZ stated, placing a polarized cap in reverse polarity creates a short circuit.

Check components feeding your capacitor bank.... like rectifiers. A rectifier failed shorted will allow AC to enter the capacitor bank, this effectively creates another reverse polarity situation even for the correctly connected caps.

Comment

if it works, it works.
            "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by GamerBR
              I've wrongly connected 3 capacitors with the polarity inverted on my Xbox 360,it was not turning on,and after a few tries one blew up,I touched it and it was pretty hot,the other two were not.I then went and checked the polarity and I've saw that I connected all 3 inverted.Not important now,but the reason I did that was because there was a + near a circle to connect the capacitor,and that made me thought the positive hole was near that +,but that + was for another circle,and I used this to assume that the white portion of the circle was the positive side,but it was the negative.
              So,the main point of the thread,besides obviously damaging the capacitors I connected inverted,could this in any way damage the other capacitors?After removing all 3 capacitors the xbox turn on without them,of course I will not use it like that,but at least I know it did not do any damage to board itself,but about the others capacitors I can't be sure.
              Why where you changing the caps in the first place?
              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
              • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
              • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
              • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
              • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050
                2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                Why where you changing the caps in the first place?
                Just what I was thinking, I opened up my friend's xbox 360 to put some artic silver 5 on it, and it has all rubycon, nichicon, and fujitsu caps in it.

Comment

xboxs heat kill their caps.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

yep.
                    and especially the older xbox360s..
                    because of that dumb red ring of death "fix" where they tell you to wrap the xbox into a towel and let it sit like that for a while (turned on of course!)..

this may sometimes "fix" that solder problem for some time, but kills the caps...
                    1 problem "solved"... and another one added -.-

god... who came up with that dumb idea?!?

Comment

Microsoft.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                        Microsoft.
                        No, not that $300+ dumb idea, the $3+ towel idea ,,,,,
                        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Microsoft.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                            Microsoft.
                            The towel idea from M$? I can't believe it.... no wait, I can
                            • Windows 10 Pro x64
                            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

do they make towels now?
                              it wouldn't surprise me.. with THAT name, they could easily rule the towel business.

(edit: but definitely not with those engineers. aaah, the possible scenarios are endless... chhhhh)
                              Last edited by kikkoman; 03-17-2009, 12:33 PM.
                              "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

they actually have a clothes line called "SoftWear"...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/softwearbymicrosoft/

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                                  they actually have a clothes line called "SoftWear"...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/softwearbymicrosoft/

This were very popular among the tech support area on the store I worked. You can find them here :
                                  http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
                                  Attached Files
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                  X