Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do the large value caps around the microprocessor do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do the large value caps around the microprocessor do?

Hello gentlemen. I have been given 9 dell desktops that all look like they have leaking caps very close to the microprocessors. What do these caps do? From the printed circuit layout they look like they might be a very large filtering bank. But I don't know. They are of a large value around 1800 uf @ 6.3v. They are close in to the processor as well. The trouble symptoms are very similar will all the units. The motherboard signals an onboard fault with no boot and no video display and no HD activity. I have not seen or smelled any evidence of burning or overheating, just brown crap coming out of 5 caps.
    Thanks in advance and I apologize for the stupid question. M

Re: What do the large value caps around the microprocessor do?

Hey Apache Junction!

There are maybe 5+ different jobs electrolytic caps do on motherboards and you pretty much have it right for what you are looking at.

Those specific ones are part of the CPU's Voltage Regulator [VRM], and yup, they are a bank of filter caps.

There are VRM 'High Side' caps which on anything newer than P3 are 16v caps because they are on +12v power.

The VRM 'Low Side' caps can be any voltage rating as long as it's more than the highest Vcore the board might use.

I made a little drawing to help.
    Attached Files
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

many thanx PCBONEZ

Comment

Thank you PCBONEZ for your reply. That helped.

Comment

Working...
        X