X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asrock, capswap+conroe

can i get any opinions on:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...y_Code=imb_775
    then do a cap swap mod on it (i presume for 89usd you will be getting cheaper caps?

this will work out (even with expensive caps) to be cheaper than one of the 250-350usd M/B's people jumping on the conroe bandwagon are flaunting... plus it would be a chance to whet my cap-swapping beak

Re: asrock, capswap+conroe

So far I've seen only good caps on ASRock boards. The caps are good but boards are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
      So far I've seen only good caps on ASRock boards. The caps are good but boards are not.
      how do you mean the boarsd are not? layout?

Comment

The conroe xfire hase realy bad caps. All the small caps (1000uF) are Evercon, VRM input is TK series, probably from TEapo? there is no brand marking on them. VRM output are ost RLS. I was personally very disapointed, that they even used some inferior brand on the vrm. But considering the expensive supply units for memory, chipset and PCI-E (all are switchers, not those usuall Asrock like linear converters) i assume there are no money left, to fit the budget. And as most younger developer do not know anything abouth badcaps, i suppose they have easily choosen those crap caps.
        I duno how long those caps can sirvive, but if you consider overclocking, i would replace all of those crap. And personally, i would replace them in any case, as i can do it easily. Any way, there are alot caps on it. Thus i would take some time to do it.
        Last edited by gonzo0815; 12-11-2006, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by niexa77
          how do you mean the boarsd are not? layout?
          Yes, layout and some littles electronics parts are not.
          My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope
            Yes, layout and some littles electronics parts are not.
            Well, this is true for all K7 & K8 boards, but those Intel boards especially the conro xfire &co. have reversed the situation. IMHO all ímportant sections are comparable with other high quality boardmakers from elektronic desing & components, but now the caps are realy worse. It seems that they have made a better desing now, but have problems to fit the budget with high grade capazitors. For m,e and others, who are able to replace the caps, this is very interesting. At least i know, what i would do when switching to cor2duo....

Comment

VRM design was really bad on many ASRock boards - with ideas as stupid as powering P4 Prescott CPU from 5V line. And those buggy BIOSes...
              Maybe the design is better now but BIOSes most probably not. And they use bad caps now...

Comment

Well. true, Asrock is in no way high end stuff. I think we can agree to this. And yes, there are some very ugly desings from them, but wich boardmaker has not some ugly badboy in his history? I personally examine any board closely, before i get it, regardless of brand. And if i don`t find something to bad for me, i usually know exactly what i get and what not. So regarding this coroe xfire, i would say it is from a techical point of view very good or at least comparable with the more expensive brands, except with the choice of crap caps. Sadly i haven`t seen the bios, as my neighbor has dammaged his LGA socket, before i have accesed it.

Comment

Working...
                X