Need help with a black macbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with a black macbook

Okay, well I got this (mid 2007) macbook in, the symptoms are that the system would turn on and start to load the OS the apple logo would appear and the system would pong on the startup, then it would reboot. I was thinking it was the hard drive or the ram, but after further inspection I found that the sleep indicator light does not work and the system would not see any bootable USB drives. I reset the SMC, and PRAM, disconnected the PRAM battery and discharged the board. I pulled the hard drive, airport card, disconnected the hard drive cable, isight cable, using a test ac adapter, test battery, and test ram, test hard drive with an OS still no luck. I have also removed the top case and just shorted out the power pins on the board to see if the top case was preventing boot. I was thinking that it could be a thermal issues so I replaced the heatsink, fan and thermal sensors, still no luck. The system will boot to single user mode and it will boot to the EFI diag on the ASD and it will pass all the tests I ran the 24hr loop on the ASD EFI, however it will not boot to the OS diag on the ASD. It will not boot to Disk Warrior, Techtool 4, or any OS install disc. If I boot off the hard drive in verbose mode it will reboot at no specific spot in the boot sequence, and if I boot from a diag disc in verbose mode it will make it all the way through verbose then hang at a blue screen with the curser. I was thinking that maybe the firmware got corrupted so I made a firmware restore disc, but the system will not go into firmware recovery mode by holding the power button for 5 seconds, it will make a long tone then pong. So since the system will not effectively boot any GUI I was thinking it was a voltage issue, I checked the voltage on the board and found no fluctuations and I have checked the majority of the capacitors with my ESR tester nothing apparently bad. So I'm thinking a video issue, without the LCD attached I used an external monitor and I got no video, the system should default to the external without the LCD. I pulled the board and solid reflow the Northbridge, still no change. I'm sorry for the long post, but I am at my wits end with this computer. Please I need some help on this or any ideas?

Re: Need help with a black macbook

sounds like a firmware too corrupt to be savable.

i doubt the firmware chips are replaceable w/o smd desoldering and even so, if they were smd, good luck finding a new chip (unless you had a custom flasher).
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Need help with a black macbook

I have a donor board, I can replace the EFI chip if you think that is what it is. I am very good at replacing surface mount ICs, I just don't know what to do at this point. Thanks for your reply, I don't want to give up on this project, I need to figure this out.

Comment

Working...
      X