MSI K7T Turbo2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI K7T Turbo2

Hey got a mobo with two visibly bad caps. (first pic). I've read on someone else's post the 4 big green ones around the cpu went out as well. These particular ones on my board don't look bad. (next pic) But should I replace them anyway?? They are KZE 4700uf 6.3v .

Another Q, the two offending caps are G-Luxon 2700uf 6.3v I have some old caps that I took off a different board, they don't look bad but were part of a group of 9 that were bad around the CPU. They are a Nichicon 3300uf 6.3v My question is can I temporarily solder these in to see if they will make the board work? Or am I risking further damage to the board by them having a higher uf value or possibly being bad with no visible signs??

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: MSI K7T Turbo2

I personally wouldn't bother replacing the KZE's at this point of the recap project, those Teapos & G-Luxons should be dealt with first (1000uF and up)

Additionally FWIW that board is disgusting... how about hitting it with some compressed air!

What series are your s/h Nichicon caps? HM/HN series were pretty bad IIRC, you could solder in those old reused caps but why not just use new and never have to worry about doing it ever again
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

The Nichicon caps are HM(M) What about the different uf value? I know nothing about caps.

btw, that mobo and the case got a bath right after, I didn't want to wash away the evidence before I took the pics. You should have seen the CPU and heatsink, though I washed it first. Damn chain smokers and a dusty house, I hate those type of clients.

Comment

The higher uF value is ok

However if they where part of a series that went bad I would not use them.
        They are probably in very bad shape already...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Different series Nichicon would be okay... as far as using higher uF values, personally I only do this as a last resort (when I'm unable to source replacements) though others do practice this method frequently without issue

Just curious fety firstly where in the world are you and secondly (and most importantly) what did you use to 'bathe' the motherboard in?
          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion
            Just curious fety firstly where in the world are you and secondly (and most importantly) what did you use to 'bathe' the motherboard in?

I'm in the US, Washington State.

I literally hold the mobo under the faucet in the tub. If it's really bad from smokers and tar caked on dust, I usually take a toothbrush and some liquid dish soap and scrub on the whole thing. Then I shake off the drops and stick it in the microwave on high for a minute or two... haha, jk. I shake off the drops and let it dry in front of a fan or outside in the sun for about a day. Usually 12 hours in front of a fan will do. I usually blow the water out of the cpu socket and memory slots the best I can, don't want to leave any water spots. I've done this with many other nasty boards and have had nothing but success.

I was once given a Dell Dim 8200 that was in a fire, they didn't want it cuz it reeked, I just had to transfer their files to a new one. The only way to get rid of the smoke smell was to scrub everything twice. I took apart every part of the Dell case. The hard drive I had to be careful with because of it's breather hole. Of course

For caked fans I scrub them too with the open cap part of the "prop" down and then hang it on an oscillating fan and let it spin dry. Ocassionally I take a fan apart and oil the shaft.

I'm sure some of you guys are cringing at the thought of dunking it, but it's fine if it dries thoroughly. haha!

btw, I don't have an air compressor. Otherwise I'd probably just blow the board, but most of the time the fans/heatsink and case are so nasty that they absolutely need washing. Some people don't even know their dog or cat has marked on the case. Geez...
            Last edited by fety; 07-16-2007, 01:54 AM.

Comment

I would be afarid of washing any PCB if I didn't have my compressor to blow it dry with

But many have done it on these forums without problems so I guess that's just me
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Dish washing liquid has a sodium base component doesn't it?
                Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
                X