Reusing main filter capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reusing main filter capacitors

I was just wondering if it is safe to use good main filter caps from my power supply boards that I have collected. to replace bad Leakey ones. I hate to waste half decent parts.

Re: Reusing main filter capacitors

I reuse them all the time, even crappy brands last a long time. I have a big stock pile of 820uF 220V Elite caps that I use in PSU rebuilds and they usually measure +/- 5% tolerance even when really old

Comment

P4 do you have an example of where to grab a main f. cap. to replace one of a 19" monitor? (82uF-100uF)

Comment

Oh my apologies didn't realize this was for displays. Same applies although I think primary caps are more likely to fail in displays because there isn't much ventilation. As long as you have at least the same capacitance and voltage, preferably 450V, it should be fine. Make sure the cap will fit

Comment

Oops sorry if I wasn't clear about what kind of power board yes they are for lcd monitors
          I only replaced one main cap in the year I am repairing monitors. I tested a couple that I saved and they test good. So I guess I will grab some more out of my junk box and save the good ones

Comment

If you're in the USA and the LCD monitor does NOT have Active PFC, you can use 200V caps in place of the 400V caps. This will allow you to re-use some input caps from ATX PSUs (provided you can find some with small enough capacity... you don't want capacitance much higher than the original caps because that can cause some problems too).

Comment

^ Yes, you are right. I shouldn't have assumed it had APFC!

Comment

I don't live in USA..

Comment

I seem to find them valuable, especially the Japanese ones which are within tolerance.
                  The less-known brand ones (provided the capacitance measures within tolerance) find their way into less demanding applications, such as valve/tube equipment which does not use a switching power supply.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                    I don't live in USA..
                    In that case, you have to use strictly 400V or 450V caps. With APFC, 450V is recommended.

Only in countries where the line voltage is 110 VAC can 200V caps be used, again provided there is no voltage boosting of some sort on the caps. IIRC, a non-true sine wave UPS may cause problems too.

Comment

Working...
                    X