Dell SX280's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell SX280's

Wondering if anyone can help us on these ones.

I've got two Dell SX280's - both started off with the blinking amber light issue and had a bulging 2200uf nichicon in the same position.

Machine 1:
    Changed just the bulging cap - seemed to work ok for a while and then started having issues with the network card - phantom data being sent etc. Changed the remainder of the 2200uf caps, same problem. Recapped all the bigger caps on the board with the exception of the processor ones (they were rubycon ones), result flashing orange light again? Checked all the solder joins on the new caps and they all seem fine.

Machine 2:
    Changed the bulging cap and the 2 other 2200uf ones next to it. Worked fine but randomly brings up a Memory Parity Error Blue screen - any ideas on what is causing this?

Re: Dell SX280's

Replace all Nichicon "HM" or "HN" series capacitors dated before 2005. It's unclear to me which month exactly of 2004 they started producing the new batches so it's safe to just replace anything pre-2005 and besides, they should all be pre-2005 anyway.

The ones that you already replaced - what did you use as a replacement?
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

The ones I put in were Panasonic FR 10,000 Hour 105C.
      Is there anything better I could be using? Prefer Rubycon or Panasonic.

Comment

Hi the cap "kit" for this has 29 caps so it suggests that all are bad/poor.
        I have no experience of this pc but have had similar symptoms with failing
        power supplies on other machines.

Panasonic FRs should be good replacement.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by simonmpoulton View Post
          The ones I put in were Panasonic FR 10,000 Hour 105C.
          Is there anything better I could be using? Prefer Rubycon or Panasonic.
          Rubycon FR is not the proper replacement for Nichicon HM.

Topcat sells a kit:
          https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=12

The 22uF 25v cap goes next to the CMOS battery. This cap fails frequently without showing any physical signs of failure, and will make the system exhibit all kinds of strange behavior.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I'm in the UK so it isn't practical for me to buy from the badcaps store unfortunately.
            If the Panasonic FR are unsuitable can you please provide details of which cap series I will need to get from Farnell?

Comment

Farnell only has a very limited selection of Nichicon HM in the UK. If you order their US Stock, you have to pay a fortune for shipping.

Comment

AFAIK Topcat has even shipped to Russia with no problem - so what's keeping you from ordering from him?
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Given it is Nichicon caps that currently reside in the board i would rather avoid using them anyway. Which series of Panasonic or Rubycon caps are correct to replace the nichicons?

Th3 - Once you add on the shipping plus the fact that UK Customs will help themselves to Import VAT and Parcelforce UK will charge £13.50 for the priviledge of delivering the package it frankly would not be worth it. The $30 for the kit would easily double to $60.
                  Last edited by simonmpoulton; 08-14-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Like I said, Nichicon is an excellent replacement as long as the datecode is past 2004. And you can bet that new stock Nichicon HM will be later than 04.

There are some Chinese sellers on that infamous auction site that have in the past shipped non-counterfeit capacitors, and the shipping is very reasonable but you will have to wait a few weeks, possibly more than a month.

The Rubycon equivalent to Nichicon HM/HN series is MBZ/MCZ.
                    I'm not sure about the Panasonic equivalent to HN, but the HM equivalent is Panasonic FJ. There's also a variant series "FJS" and another series "FL", but I don't know if what their specs are because I've never been able to track down their confidential datasheets.

Comment

Working...
                    X