• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic 50" VT20 arcing at edge of panel to frame

Should work.

Comment

Well I have an update.
      I bought some more new EMI strip (the first new strip was D shaped instead of flat)
      All up cost me around $50-60.

Installed it and it works great!
      There is now no difference in potential between the glass strip and the metal frame when the new EMI strip is making contact.

When I removed the old EMI strip i noticed that it seemed to have deteriorated such that the tape holding the strip down was not holding to the foam shielding very well. The strip came off way too easily leaving the tape behind (which was stuck on extremely well). This was probably the cause of the varying degree of continuity from the strip to the frame and therefore possibly causing my arcing issue.

I did check some of the other emi strip around the back of the TV and none of them pulled off easily so it seems to be a localised issue at the front of the unit.

I've managed to watch a couple hours on the TV now with NO arcing whatsoever.

Thanks for all your replies and for the other 0.000001% of other people in the world with an arcing plasma like mine that was the fix

Comment

TA DA. !!!! Good to read.

Comment

Impressive result and I think you're right. The most original fault I've read of.

Comment

Dear infrag, deal all,

looks like I've got the same problem with my VT-20. Mine is a 2010-August and last night the arcing appeared for the first time. Exactly like you have described. The arcing sounds scary and the sparkles are not something you wanna see on your precious TV set.

I'm glad to have found your post and the solution. However opening this beast is another story...

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by levcek View Post
              Dear infrag, deal all,

looks like I've got the same problem with my VT-20. Mine is a 2010-August and last night the arcing appeared for the first time. Exactly like you have described. The arcing sounds scary and the sparkles are not something you wanna see on your precious TV set.

I'm glad to have found your post and the solution. However opening this beast is another story...

Cheers!
              Mate you need to take the back off the TV. Then the screws all around the edge tell the front plastic and frame pieces that the plastic face attaches to. Once removed you should look at the metal frame pieces that you've removed that touch the glass. The emi strip is attached to the metal.

Comment

Working...
              X