Kenwood VR-606 Receiver No-Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenwood VR-606 Receiver No-Power

I bought a Kenwood VR-606 Surround Sound Receiver from Goodwill and when I brought it home it would not power on....just a couple clicks and a red stand-by light. So I let it sit in cold storage (Sometimes below 40 Degrees) for a couple months.....I decided today to take it out of storage and try to fix it and when I hit the power button it turned on and the display lit up....I was excited!!! But short lived, it turned off after about 30 seconds. Just a stand-by light again. Can't be a heat issue as the thing just came out of cold storage just a minute before I plugged it in. I included a close-up of a little board attached to the Power Transformer that has a burn on one of the solder points. Could this be causing it? I really don't want to invest $50 for a new transformer. There are about 5 other boards attached to this thing, not including the mainboard. I don't want to take this thing apart just to check everything out. Any clues based on what I stated?
    Attached Files

Re: Kenwood VR-606 Receiver No-Power

Try reworking the joints on the power transformer.
    Depending on the temperature, bad solder joints can become good in some cases.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

thats not a burn.its flux.look for bad solder joints around the amp section.looks like it uses stk's too.see lots of them fail.does it say protect on the display when it dies?

Comment

I would check around the power amplifier section, I had a STK chip fail in an amp before and it melted a few of its pins~
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          thats not a burn.its flux.look for bad solder joints around the amp section.looks like it uses stk's too.see lots of them fail.does it say protect on the display when it dies?
          No it says nothing when it shuts down.....the whole screen goes blank and it goes back to red standby led. When I push the power button again I just hear the relay clicks. But then again I don't see any relays where I here the clicking.
          Last edited by gorr35; 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling

Comment

try to reset it by doing this: hold the power button down, plug the receiver in, then press the power button again. that should reset the firmware.

if that doesn't help, you likely have a bad stk chip. those are the 2 big black plastic i.c.'s attached to the big heat sink. before replacing the stk's, try reflowing their solder joints.

i think chances are tiny that the power transformer is the culprit.
            Last edited by xaxxon; 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM. Reason: solder joint tip

Comment

Helllo,

Do you have the cover off when you listen for the relay clicking noise? I had a Sony receiver once that had a similar clicking noise. I located the source of the noise and it was indeed a relay without a transparent cover. I think it was black or grey in color. So I very carefully pried the hood or cover off that relay if you will and stuck an old flat head screwdriver in the relay after the cover was off and the unit came to life. So my guess is that the receiver either got to hot and the thermal circuit tripped the suspected relay or the speaker wires got shorted together? Maybe the person that owned it before attempted to make extensions on the speaker wires and they touched together that would trip some form of protection circuit maybe? If your brave enough you could try the screwdriver or some other metal tool trick. But be very careful!

Good luck...................
              lcdman

Comment

These units can be a bear to work on. I would go after the power supply for sure.

When I repaired delco radios I would put them in the freezer to test them or make them inop. solder joints mostly fail in the cold and work when warm. you could put it in your fridge and bring it down to 40 degrees then see if it comes on.

No display means no power from main supply. The amp curcuit will shut down in protect mode, but the display should still work.

Comment

Hello all. My first posting. I have a kenwood vr-606 with a fuse blowing problem. Worked fine one day. The next it blew the 8 A fuse on the little board just under the cover. Then it just started to click until i held down the power button for a few seconds. Tried another fuse and it blew also. then i disconnected the plug going from the little board to what looks like a big transformer? and tried it again with another fuse. this time it just kept clicking but the fuse didn't blow. bad transformer?? love the kenwood but need help. thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X