X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDK headphones

Kids have a set of cheap headphones (TDK) that one side went dead on
    I rescued them (silly me) and heres what I got
    Stripped and disconnected everthing. Both phones test ok . Same impedance same noise.Rewired red to left green to right earth etc etc.
    Continuity tests fine
    Plug em in. Bugger, sound on one side only. PC sound card tests fine with other devices.Swapped wiring over. Bugger, sound goes to other speaker..
    Any ideas before I bin 'em?
    Oh have tried new jack cable.

939 DualCore AMD Opteron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
    Abit AN8 / Fatal1ty AN8 SLI Series
    3072 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (1024 MB
    Lian LI Aluminium mesh case

Re: TDK headphones

toss em... those POSs are sh!tcan quality anyway. chinese throwaway junk.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by kiddznet
      Plug em in. Bugger, sound on one side only. PC sound card tests fine with other devices.Swapped wiring over. Bugger, sound goes to other speaker..
      Sounds like a typical wiring/plug problem, but you said you've already tried a new jack and cable. When you did that, did you get the same results again?

Also, do you know the model number of the headphones, or perhaps at least what kind of headphones they are - earbuds, over the head, behind the neck...? If earbuds, keep them for the wires/plug if you like, but don't bother fixing them like ratdude said.

Comment

I go through a lot of headphones. Every 3 or 4 months they either break on me or I lose them. Here's my proposed solution to your problem:

Shitcan them. Not worth fixing.

As for a replacement, may I suggest a set of JVC FLATS. They are JVC's current headphone series, you can find them at Frys or Walmart for ~$20. Forget in-ears, forget earbuds... these cheap JVCs are where it's at. After you let them wear in they will bump like nobody's business. I'm blasting the shit out of them as I type this.

Comment

I hear you all in stereo!
          Shitcan 'em yes, but I not gonna let two iddy magnets get the better of me.
          Now I got 'em hooked in parallel and lo, there's noise outa both sides....

Comment

I did that to an old pair of huge Sony cans a few years back. I got a few more months of (mono) use out of them before they broke again.

Semi off-topic: does anyone here use a CMoy?

Comment

the wire breaks just behind the plug - allways.
              it has nothing to do with china, just the use of thin cables.

Comment

I've had the same pair of Sennheisers for about 20 years now. No problems, even when getting stuffed into carryon luggage and camera bags.
                Good stuff.
                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

YaY

Yup the cable. Absolutely rotten was getting intermittent open circuit and earthing even after cutting back so replaced it and bingo..stereo
                  I never seen such a bunch of crap cable. The reason I never got it sooner was the cable i was given to test it was MONO, even tho it had 3 ring plugs.

Beer time...

Comment

Working...
                  X