Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Pentium Celeron D CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Pentium Celeron D CPU?

Hi guys; i have an emachines T3958 with intel D845GVSR socket MPGA 478 400/533FSB mother board it came with Intel Celeron D 340 2.93 Ghz CPU which fried due to the known bad Bestec PS,
    then i put there an Intel celeron 2.0Ghz but it's sluggish even on the web, so i want to replace it, can use an Intel Pentium 4 2.6ghz,/2.8/3.6ghz,cpu instead of the Intel Celeron D?
    i was told Pentium 4 processors are better the the Celeron ones!

Re: Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Pentium Celeron D CPU?

Yes, Celerons have always been the weaker little brother to the Pentiums.
    Just monitor the temperature and ensure the heatsink is up to the job as they generate more heat.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      Yes, Celerons have always been the weaker little brother to the Pentiums.
      Just monitor the temperature and ensure the heatsink is up to the job as they generate more heat.

Thanks and you all have a Merry Christmas,if we don 't talk tin then.

Comment

The S478 Celeron were really, really bad.

Just get a Pentium 4 C (Northwood with Hyper Threading) or Pentium 4 E (Prescott, HT versions are better). They're the only worthy CPUs of this socket.

Are you sure you have a 3.6Ghz ? The highest frequency on this socket is 3.4Ghz, either in Northwood or Prescott, both with HyperThreading. HT is the closest to a dual core you can get with a single core processor.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post

Just get a Pentium 4 C (Northwood with Hyper Threading) or Pentium 4 E (Prescott, HT versions are better). They're the only worthy CPUs of this socket.

Are you sure you have a 3.6Ghz ? The highest frequency on this socket is 3.4Ghz, either in Northwood or Prescott, both with HyperThreading. HT is the closest to a dual core you can get with a single core processor.
          Thanks SuperDuty; i just ordered from Amazon Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz 533MHz 512KB Socket 478 CP,this is the right one for this Mini Atx D845GVSR mother board 400/533 FSB and the price of an used like new was 40.00 bucks with shipment,i had a gift bonus card so i only pay 10.00 bucks.
          Last edited by ivtec; 12-09-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
            the price of an used like new was 40.00 bucks with shipment
            Holy Moley. $40 for the socket 478 CPU in 2014, almost 2015?

On ebay, you can buy them from USA sellers for $15. I think I even have a couple 3.0ghz P4s lying around. Wow, if I can get $40 USD for them ...

I refurbish old P4 systems, but I might spend $1 to $2 maximum for parts/accessories to make them work.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              Holy Moley. $40 for the socket 478 CPU in 2014, almost 2015?

On ebay, you can buy them from USA sellers for $15. I think I even have a couple 3.0ghz P4s lying around. Wow, if I can get $40 USD for them ...

I refurbish old P4 systems, but I might spend $1 to $2 maximum for parts/accessories to make them work.
              Well First of all i don't buy from E bay ,don't trust them,and i like Amazon cause i never had a screw up,second there was also some sellers selling for around that much same cpu , but i went for this one that seemed to be better reviews and it was like new,will see.

Comment

Thanks SuperDuty; i just ordered from Amazon Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz 533MHz 512KB Socket 478 CP,this is the right one for this Mini Atx D845GVSR mother board 400/533 FSB and the price of an used like new was 40.00 bucks with shipment,i had a gift bonus card so i only pay 10.00 bucks.
                I wouldn't pay $5 for a Pentium 4, except Extreme Edition or Engineering Samples...
                I get those for nearly nothing or just go to the recycling center and with a bit of luck there will be something interesting in there. I got an HP Compaq dx2000mt there, similar computer but with a Pentium 4 2.8A Prescott. It's slow as hell even with 2Gb of DDR. I wouldn't spend $1 on a weak machine like that.

Comment

I wouldn't pay $5 for a Pentium 4, except Extreme Edition or Engineering Samples...
                  I get those for nearly nothing or just go to the recycling center and with a bit of luck there will be something interesting in there. I got an HP Compaq dx2000mt there, similar computer but with a Pentium 4 2.8A Prescott. It's slow as hell even with 2Gb of DDR. I wouldn't spend $1 on a weak machine like that.
                  Well you're lucky to get this stuff for that much cheap ,here in Mas where i live i don't have that recycle center,and if we do, they sell even old stuff here
                  they ask too much money,if you want to check it out go to Craig's list of Western Mas and you we'll see for how much they sell old crap,
                  As for Intel Pentium 4 being slow! maybe if you have Win installed! but if you install for exemple Xubuntu 14.04 as i have on my Dell DEM 4500 P4 with 2GB mem and a Processor P4 2.00GHZ, for browsing it's fast enough ,it depends on your Internet Speed,i have 30Mbps, although i have to admit for Video Streaming is not that great,but i don't use it for Video streaming, browsing U tube, Face Book and most of the tasks it's really great.
                  Last edited by ivtec; 12-10-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Well you're lucky to get this stuff for that much cheap ,here in Mas where i live i don't have that recycle center,and if we do, they sell even old stuff here
                    they ask too much money,if you want to check it out go to Craig's list of Western Mas and you we'll see for how much they sell old crap,
                    You can always try putting up an ad on craigslist, facebook, etc saying something like

"Free pickup of your old, dead or unwanted computers for recycling. Save your time and gas and let me do all the work so you can enjoy your Christmas holidays".
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have been using one 24/7 since 2005 (2.8GHz Northwood).

It isn't that bad for surfing the net, blame horribly designed websites like YouTube* and eBay** for its demise.

Of course, a 2.7GHz single core Sempron 140 shits all over it (even without unlocking the other cores, as my board and/or BIOS doesn't allow it), even with the exact same 32-bit Windows XP installed. That said, a modern smartphone CPU probably beats a Celeron these days...

* Not so much YouTube itself, but Flash Player (I have disabled HTML5 video in Firefox because it somehow manages to run even slower than Flash). Although, that whole red-line-across-the-top loading thing annoys the shit out of me to the point that I middle-click every single video just to avoid it. That and the fact that every single user page *always* links to playlists instead of just the videos. Reverting to FP 10.3 puts me back in 2012, but even that tends to hiccup on the odd occasion, not to mention taking up nearly 1GB of RAM in some cases just for a 3 minute video. The same video (downloaded as a 40-odd MB MP4) can be watched in Media Player Classic (or VLC, your choice), in full screen, on a Pentium 3 866 with 128MB of SDRAM with not a single dropped frame. With YouTube, I am forced to run it in windowed mode, with the browser window shrunk as far as YouTube's video display lets me (which is 360p), with comments and links hidden from view. Watching it in full-screen or with HTML5 enabled is like playing a 3D game in hardware mode with an S3 ViRGE.

** Notably, eBay's search results page and the home page itself. With the search results, if you replace i.html with m.html, it's fast again and gets rid of the pointless Popular on eBay crap (among others) on the right hand side. Now, if only there was a way to force eBay to only use m.html without a plugin/add-on I would be set for life. "Popular on eBay", "Browse related" and "Collections" can all die in a fire. Edit: The "ads" on the right also disappear from i.html if you run the browser in windowed mode and don't reappear when you maximize it again (the ads only appear if it detects the browser window being 1080 or more pixels wide).
                      Last edited by Heihachi_73; 12-10-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

When I see how my father's computer is stuggling these days, yeah I really think the S478 isn't good enough anymore. He has a Pentium 4 2.6 C (Northwood/HT) with 4x512Mb of DDR400, a Radeon X1300 512Mb AGP and a 160Gb SATA HDD. Even with that, it won't read 720p videos properly and it's just slow and unresponsive overall. And the Windows 7 installation is freshly installed so no bloatware of any kind.
                        I have a 2007 laptop with a Core 2 Duo T7500, a Radeon X1350 (slightly overclocked X1300), 160Gb HDD and 2Gb of DDR2 on...Vista, so aside from the CPU the specs are only a tiny bit faster but with a naturally bloated OS, yet it's super smooth and fast, reads 1080p on Youtube flawlessly.

For an every day use, I think the oldest CPU to use are the Pentium M and Athlon 64. The Pentium 4 6xx and Pentium D are ok as well, but if the motherboard can take a Core 2 Duo, even a Pentium E2140 will be a better option.

Comment

When I see how my father's computer is stuggling these days, yeah I really think the S478 isn't good enough anymore. He has a Pentium 4 2.6 C (Northwood/HT) with 4x512Mb of DDR400, a Radeon X1300 512Mb AGP and a 160Gb SATA HDD. Even with that, it won't read 720p videos properly and it's just slow and unresponsive overall. And the Windows 7 installation is freshly installed so no bloatware of any kind.
                          windoze is the bloatware.

Comment

I used 7 for a while with a Pentium M 750, I still do from time to time with a 740 in another computer, can't complain.

Comment

but do you do it with 2gig of ram?

Comment

With 1Gb, 2 is better but one is sufficient with a Pentium M and a fresh fully upgraded install.

On the Pentium 4 there are 4 sticks of 512Mb so 2Gb.

Comment

I remember my first P4 - a 2.4GHz P4B, non-HT. It was "meh" but overclocked to 3.1GHz it worked pretty well. Only had 1GB RAM in it, ran Linux. The machine didn't survive a move, but oh well. Not sure where the board and CPU is, I suspect the board is broken.

Now I have a second P4 - a 3.4GHz Prescott, HT. It's fairly decent but extremely noisy due to the fans I have in the machine. It is a bit funny though, at the time when I was benching the machine I used distributed.net client and compared it to my newer machine, a 2.67GHz Core2 Duo. Using the Prescott's single core, it actually was a bit faster than the Core2 Duo using one core. Using HT the throughput was even a bit higher. But using both cores of the Core2 Duo, it blew the Prescott away.

I still wonder despite having multicore processors, how much people really take advantage of the multiple cores. It definitely speeds some things up, I definitely notice the difference when building upgrades on my Gentoo boxes, but curious as to how much difference my 1.6GHz 1 core HT Atom in my netbook versus the 1.33GHz 4-core no HT Atom in my tablet... (My benchmark will be Linux/Firefox/www.yahoo.com. The start page of yahoo.com completely chomps my Atom CPU with G945 graphics, but most of my faster machines seems to work ok.)

Alas there are websites that still completely chomp down my i7. They completely swamp one core leaving three idle. *sigh*. Need to do something else I guess. Or complain to someone with their crappy flash/java/javascript...

Comment

I used 7 for a while with a Pentium M 750, I still do from time to time with a 740 in another computer, can't complain.
                                    I also have an old laptop Sony Centrino VGN A195EP with Pentium M 1.5GHZ CPU Intel Chip Set 855PM, and 1GB Mem with both XP and XUBUNTU 12.04 OPS and it's really good for a 10 years old PC, and love it because it does most everything that these new PC do and is fast too, i love it.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-va...-gb-hdd/specs/
                                    Last edited by ivtec; 12-10-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

With 1Gb, 2 is better but one is sufficient with a Pentium M and a fresh fully upgraded install.

On the Pentium 4 there are 4 sticks of 512Mb so 2Gb.
                                      MY Pentium 4 Dem 4500 only has 2 slotes for mem, i got it with 2 stickes of 512GB each,but i upgraded with 2 sticks of 1GB each making it 2GB.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                        You can always try putting up an ad on craigslist, facebook, etc saying something like

"Free pickup of your old, dead or unwanted computers for recycling. Save your time and gas and let me do all the work so you can enjoy your Christmas holidays".
                                        Craigslist? here in Western Mass USA? they are a joke, they only give away trash, because any other still fare good but very old stuff they ask an arm and a leg, almost the price of Al-mart and Target new stuff.
                                        Last edited by ivtec; 12-10-2014, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X