Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD1530 works for a second then dark

Sorry, just got back from a trip

Comment

Originally posted by rokkaholik
      Sorry, just got back from a trip
      Read this: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

Then properly post a picture of the bottom of the board. I suspect you have a totally different monitor.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The monitor is indeed a Gateway FPD1530

Attached Files
        Last edited by rokkaholik; 07-10-2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure why, but the back board pic isn't working

Attached Files

Comment

I believe the picture limit size is 2000x2000. You can crop out your carpet in the pictures to lower the size.

In addition, the owner of this forum has been making changes in the last 3 or 4 days, but has not posted a notice that I'm aware of, and the site has been up/down lately.

I'm not sure why, but the back board pic isn't working
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1) DMM in diode test: Test diodes D15, D16, D12, D8, D14 both directions and post results
              2) better pic of bottom. Take clear closeup of the entire right half of the board (side with discoloration). And I'd prefer they not be posted inline, just attached with the thumbnail...

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                I believe the picture limit size is 2000x2000. You can crop out your carpet in the pictures to lower the size.

In addition, the owner of this forum has been making changes in the last 3 or 4 days, but has not posted a notice that I'm aware of, and the site has been up/down lately.

I did crop the pics down to a 1200x800. I thought the board would automatically resize them to a small size and make them clickable to a larger size.

Comment

Here's a closeup of the discolored side of the board.
                  Attached Files

Comment

OK... I see how it's done now. I thought I had to add the image from the attached files to the text area with the IMG tags or they wouldn't show

Comment

What are those diode readings I asked for?

Note: To get clear pictures, you need to do the following:
                      1) Put the camera in Macro mode (Usually identified by a flower)
                      2) Turn off the flash
                      3) Use sunlight for light source
                      4) Take picture directly above board, not at an angle
                      If it's still blury, use a tripod or steady you hands against something firm.

Comment

I don't have any knowledge of how to test things or what readings go with what. I don't have anything to test with either. I mainly was asking what the two 1Uf caps mcfischer was referring to when I first posted in this thread.

Comment

The 1uf caps in the first post are at location C106 and the one just left of it (just above ZD101).

I mainly was asking what the two 1Uf caps mcfischer was referring to when I first posted in this thread.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I can't find anything that resembles the 2 you mentioned. I must be blind

Comment

Look at the picture in the very first post. It near the very top in the middle right by the Delta.

That is why PlainBill wanted pictures of your board. It looks like the picture in the first post and your board are NOTHING alike.

It is not uncommon for different board revisions to exist in the "same" monitor.

I can't find anything that resembles the 2 you mentioned. I must be blind
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

That explains alot... I have a completely different board in mine. In fact, the power wire and video cable are soldered right to the boards. No connectors

Comment

Now that we are all on the same page, check

1) glass fuses and picofuse to see if they are open
                                  2) test transformer using ohms
                                  3) check for cracked or poor solder joints

for starters.

That explains alot... I have a completely different board in mine. In fact, the power wire and video cable are soldered right to the boards. No connectors
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I ended up just chucking the monitor to the recycling center. I replaced the caps and still nothing. Now back to trying to fix the little Dell 17"

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      The 1uf caps in the first post are at location C106 and the one just left of it (just above ZD101).
                                      How do you know what volts they are at? There was another monitor with repair of the 680 uf cap needed and the cap read "25 V". But these are too small and have no writing on them that I can see. Maybe I need a bigger magnifying glass. Anyone know what is the voltage on this one or is it important, what range will work?

Thanks!

ADMIN: please change my ID from fairfbro to fairbro, or can you delete me then I can re-register? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fairfbro View Post
                                        How do you know what volts they are at? There was another monitor with repair of the 680 uf cap needed and the cap read "25 V". But these are too small and have no writing on them that I can see. Maybe I need a bigger magnifying glass. Anyone know what is the voltage on this one or is it important, what range will work?
                                        The voltage is written on the cap, but you may have to remove it from the board to actually read it.

The voltage of cap has to be the same or higher than the existing one. For example, if the cap is 1uF 25V, you can substitute with a 1uF 35V.

A clear focused picture ALWAYS helps.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by fairfbro View Post
                                          ADMIN: please change my ID from fairfbro to fairbro, or can you delete me then I can re-register? Thanks!
                                          You'll have to PM Topcat about that one I can't edit usernames.
                                          Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-02-2010, 05:49 PM.
                                          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                                          X